Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SmartDrive Power Assist Device from MAX Mobility

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    With the bad things I heard, I decided not to order the Smart Drive. In Canada, I could only get it if I had an aluminum chair ... I'd rather a titanium.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

    T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

    Comment


      What difference does aluminum or titanium make in the selection of an add on in Canada?
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

      Comment


        I have been using a SD for nearly two years now.
        Mine gets used pretty much every day.
        Typically I roll 2 to 3 miles each day with it.

        I've had a few issues with it but with each and every one Max-Mobility has provided great support.

        As for roller wear I did have some problems last year.
        It was related to excessive side play due to wear (? or maybe just a sloppy bracket) of the universal (adjustable) bracket.
        It had about two inches (+/-) of sideways movement, which in retrospect, I realized that it was enough that the rollers were constantly 'scrubbing' causing the premature wear.

        Max-Mobility sent me a new bracket (albeit a different version, I have had three different types) and rollers, and it the eight months since the rollers have held up great.

        So check the amount of sideplay that your unit has. (Mine with the new bracket moves about +/- 1/4")
        If it is excessive, then that is what is causing the rollers to wear out prematurely.
        The bracket may be bad or could just be rotated too low (although when that is the case it rattles loudly).

        I have also had individual rollers wear quickly when they didn't roll freely.
        Rain or wet conditions can get grit in the bearings which will cause them to stick.
        Or I've had the plastic between the rollers get damaged from gravel or rough surfaces and stop a roller from rolling freely.

        Now, I check the rollers frequently, particularly if it's been wet out.
        A shot of WD-40 will free up a bearing with grit in it.
        If the plastic is rubbing, I use a sharp knife to trim it.

        The SD has changed my life dramatically and I would not be happy without it.
        To me it is worth the minor problems that I've experienced (even If I had had to pay for parts and service, which I have not).

        Good luck getting it sorted, it's worth the effort.
        YMMV
        Jeff
        Doh!

        Comment


          love the unit had it for 6 months . roller wore down quick already replaced rollers . i hope they last longer then six months

          Comment


            Originally posted by nonoise View Post
            What difference does aluminum or titanium make in the selection of an add on in Canada?
            It's considered overkill for titanium (easier on the shoulders) AND the Smart Drive at the same time (also easier on shoulders). My work coverage will only follow what the government covers when it comes to medical equipment.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

            T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

            Comment


              This post should be part of a SmartDrive FAQ. 2 to 3 miles use per day is quite a bit of use. And yet Jeff says those wore out prematurely due to the bracket setup.

              Originally posted by JeffH View Post
              I have been using a SD for nearly two years now.
              Mine gets used pretty much every day.
              Typically I roll 2 to 3 miles each day with it.

              I've had a few issues with it but with each and every one Max-Mobility has provided great support.

              As for roller wear I did have some problems last year.
              It was related to excessive side play due to wear (? or maybe just a sloppy bracket) of the universal (adjustable) bracket.
              It had about two inches (+/-) of sideways movement, which in retrospect, I realized that it was enough that the rollers were constantly 'scrubbing' causing the premature wear.

              Max-Mobility sent me a new bracket (albeit a different version, I have had three different types) and rollers, and it the eight months since the rollers have held up great.

              So check the amount of sideplay that your unit has. (Mine with the new bracket moves about +/- 1/4")
              If it is excessive, then that is what is causing the rollers to wear out prematurely.
              The bracket may be bad or could just be rotated too low (although when that is the case it rattles loudly).

              I have also had individual rollers wear quickly when they didn't roll freely.
              Rain or wet conditions can get grit in the bearings which will cause them to stick.
              Or I've had the plastic between the rollers get damaged from gravel or rough surfaces and stop a roller from rolling freely.

              Now, I check the rollers frequently, particularly if it's been wet out.
              A shot of WD-40 will free up a bearing with grit in it.
              If the plastic is rubbing, I use a sharp knife to trim it.

              The SD has changed my life dramatically and I would not be happy without it.
              To me it is worth the minor problems that I've experienced (even If I had had to pay for parts and service, which I have not).

              Good luck getting it sorted, it's worth the effort.
              YMMV
              Jeff
              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

              Comment


                Originally posted by hodad123 View Post
                love the unit had it for 6 months . roller wore down quick already replaced rollers . i hope they last longer then six months
                hodad123: Have you carefully checked the attachment? My husband had wobble and measured attachment position with a ruler - side to side and level.

                Comment


                  Recently I suddenly had a rough ride with my SmartDrive. Also it wasn't maintaining speed when it went up inclines. I checked my mounting bracket and found that I now had a 1 inch side-to-side play with my drive. I looked at the mounting collar and the "T" extrusions were both bent forwards. I replaced the collar with a spare one. I was back to having no play and all the problems I was having went away. I understand that Max Mobility is making their collars out of a stronger plastic now.

                  As far as placing the drive directly in the center or having the collar at exactly 90?, I have been told that kind of precision isn't necessary and I just do my set up by eye.

                  Comment


                    I have 2 things to say about the smart-drive. I have the MX1


                    #1) It seems to be very badly sealed. It's a new technology. It should be sealed against water. However, this winter, my first winter with a smart-drive, I tried to take it over LIGHT snow (it wasn't ever IMMERSED in liquid) but just having LIGHT SNOW outside has killed the unit. I've had to send it back TWICE and now just today my unit died again! I've been extremely careful with it and just the first day of what felt like spring, there was very light drizzle of rain... and I went out to enjoy the day and when I came back home, charged my unit, it simply wouldn't turn on again and I assume it's because of the light rain...

                    has anyone else had this happen? what do people do in rainy areas? I plan to move to VANCOUVER BC in the near future... and it rains 200 days of the year there... what would I do in that environment?


                    #2) This happened only once but a few months after getting the smart drive during summer, I had a "speed" incident, like the movie. All of a sudden the smart drive wouldn't respond. The buttons wouldn't respond, and I even tried disconnecting the buttons from the battery/reconnect -- and that did notthing.

                    Unable to stop I was almost hit by 2 cars, I went into traffic, and held up a side of the streets so I could cross into a large parking lot. It was risky but thank god that lot was there! I was going around in circles and yelling at passersby (all who ignored me for some reason) I was like "can you come help me, please?" but at the same time not being still and going in fast circles... so I could imagine it was a weird scene lol.

                    I even tried to disconnect it myself from the back, and my hand got still and I probably nearly broke my finger. I skinned my finger good, lots of blood.

                    so I was a bloody guy in a wheel-chair going in circles and yelling for help...

                    eventually someone came to see what's up and I told them...

                    they walked along with me until they managed to pull out the cord from the battery into the drive itself from behind me.. and that stopped it.

                    it was a horrible ordeal! I really could've been very hurt or even killed. What if I went into traffic and got hit by a car? what if I was on the edge of a hill or somewhere I could fall?

                    has anyone else had such an experience?

                    there should be some sort of emergency shut-off which the user can reach. I would love if MaxMobility were to get back to me and apologize and explain why that happened.

                    Comment


                      I've posted several times since last October that the Max-Mobility's Mark authorized the emergency stop method is to simply pull the button wire out of the battery. It is that easy.

                      It rains here, hasn't been an issue with that, but I only I tend to come in out of the rain. And we don't see much of any snow any more.
                      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                      Comment


                        Diaspora said: "#2) ... The buttons wouldn't respond, and I even tried disconnecting the buttons from the battery/reconnect -- and that did nothing."

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by grommet View Post
                          Diaspora said: "#2) ... The buttons wouldn't respond, and I even tried disconnecting the buttons from the battery/reconnect -- and that did nothing."
                          Good eye, I missed that.
                          I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                          Comment


                            Super scary if that happened to me. I haven't had any problems like this but I am still struggling with collars. It's been hard to figure out just how tight to make the collar (don't have a torque wrench) so that's it's not too loose or making too tight without breaking it and also the previous collars have had the bending problem at the "T" extrusions. I hope the newer collars have this problem solved. Still, I'd take any problem over being pushed by the drive out of control. Terrifying. I hope this gets figured out. I really want to know what happened.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by grommet View Post
                              Super scary if that happened to me. I haven't had any problems like this but I am still struggling with collars. It's been hard to figure out just how tight to make the collar (don't have a torque wrench) so that's it's not too loose or making too tight without breaking it and also the previous collars have had the bending problem at the "T" extrusions. I hope the newer collars have this problem solved. Still, I'd take any problem over being pushed by the drive out of control. Terrifying. I hope this gets figured out. I really want to know what happened.
                              I'm with you straight down the line on this one. Except I have had one runaway when I couldn't figure the switches, (that's been resolved). All that happened is that I punched a hole in my doctors office wall the drive ran up under the chair twisting the collar on the axle and the drive must have come unplugged because it stopped. There was no damage to the drive. It impressed everyone around. I've long wanted a simple on/off switch.

                              I broke my first collar. As I remember those instructions said to make it as tight as you can. When I heard a snap I hoped it was the allen wrench, but it wasn't. I don't remember ever seeing torque specs. I've got a torque wrench here that I had to use on my magicwheels.
                              I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

                              Comment


                                I sent my drive back because the handle broke due to unseen bump under the carpet at a hotel. I was riding along smoothly in outdoor mode then boom I hit something under the carpet that pushed me out of my chair. The drive kept going and so when I sent it back to get the handle fixed, they loaded new software that makes the motor stop running when it goes off-kilter (balance). You might want to ask about having your system upgraded to include this new feature.

                                I know this does not help with what happened to diaspora, but I wondered why disconnecting the battery connection did not shut it down. I have disconnected the front connection under my seat when I am in a home and I don't want to accidentally turn it on. So it perplexes me how diaspora's motor kept going after the battery connection was disconnected. Or was the disconnect only via the buttons?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X