No announcement yet.

SmartDrive Power Assist Device from MAX Mobility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have push pull brakes, but it definitely wasn't the same one I use on my brakes. I went through my entire set checking and none did. I had some loose ones that I don't know where they came from but ended up in the bag and started on those, found one that I'd never noticed before, wasn't even the same color as all my others, had never used it before, and it fit perfect. So strange.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Found it and see that it's slightly bigger than the one one the brake clamp.
      I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I'm in love. Its even better than I imagined. Which is saying a lot.

Does anyone do inclines in indoor mode? When I tried on some carpeted inclines I found in the hospital I couldn't get it to keep going. I somehow activated the power boost I think, but it just lasted a little bit and then I stopped. But I had no problem putting it into outdoor mode and slowly coasting up, then going back to indoor mode.

The appointment was with my geneticist, and both he and my genetic counselor were really impressed with the device and asking questions. I can't wait to get my own, now that I've tried it in person its going to be even worse waiting.
        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Great to hear ~Lin. You sure have worked hard for it, and I hope you can get your own soon.
          Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
          I'm in love. Its even better than I imagined. Which is saying a lot..
          Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
            I'm not sure that its locked in then, I didn't feel anything lock when placing the unit onto the clamp. Is there any sort of click you feel when its locked on?
            Not quite a click, just an impression that it's locked in. Easy to miss when it's new to you. Anyway, sounds like you've got it all sorted now. :-)

From your trial so far, it sounds like the SD is ideal for you, which is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
              With the clamp be sure to tighten each allen bolt a little at a time going back and forth from bolt to bolt. Don't overtighten.

I had a problem with my SmartDrive being noisy when off - bump, bump, bump. I know this was discussed before. Yesterday I used SmartDrive with Freewheel on a paved, hilly trail. The SmartDrive fell off hitch while in outdoor mode about 3 times. I came home and read the manual especially the part where they instruct to have flat sides of projections on hitch perpendicular to floor. I used a 12" ruler and realized my hitch was way off. Corrected to perpendicular now my SmartDrive is quieter when off and faster when on. Will try again with Freewheel next week.

Hi, I'm Spanish. Sorry for the translation of google. Three days ago I bought the smartdrive for my wife. Already broken my chair support. The truth I find it very weak. I hope the following is tougher.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at ene 30 13-06-35.png
Views:	1
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	2658442Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot at ene 30 13-06-17.png
Views:	1
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	2658443

Comment

Contact Max-Mobility. I did the same thing with my first one. Their history is to send out a new one.

Ud. debe hablar con Max-Mobility. La misma cosa me paso al principio. Lo que hacen en general es enviar un nuevo.
                Last edited by nonoise; 30 Jan 2015, 3:20 PM.
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
                  Contact Max-Mobility. I did the same thing with my first one. Their history is to send out a new one.

Ud. debe hablar con Max-Mobility. La misma cosa me paso al principio. Lo que hacen en general es enviar un nuevo.

thanks for answering. I sent a message, but do not answer me. I worry that it is a common occurrence.

Gracias por contestar. Les he enviado un mensaje a traves del formulario web, ya que no tengo su correo electronico. Lo que mas me preocupa es que esto suceda frecuentemente, ya que la reposicion de piezas en Espana es muy lenta. Tambien muchas gracias por molestarse en mostrar el mensaje traducido.

Comment

Hi, I have started a thread relevant to this conversation but with different scenario. For those interested go to /forum/showthr...83#post1758683

Comment

Hello again. I just changed the broken support, the photo above. The new, with tight screw has a slight lateral movement, is this normal ?. Thank You

Hola de nuevo. me acaban de cambiar el soporte roto, el de la foto de arriba. El nuevo, con el tornillo apretado, tiene un ligero movimiento lateral, ?es normal?. Gracias

Comment

Originally posted by pedroentrena View Post
                        Hello again. I just changed the broken support, the photo above. The new, with tight screw has a slight lateral movement, is this normal ?. Thank You

Hola de nuevo. me acaban de cambiar el soporte roto, el de la foto de arriba. El nuevo, con el tornillo apretado, tiene un ligero movimiento lateral, ?es normal?. Gracias
                        I have one of those adjustable brackets. I think yours needs a little washer or something under the screw head to tighten it up.

Tengo uno de estos soportes. Creo que el suyo hace falta de una arandela debajo de la cabeza del tornillo para ajustarlo.

Comment

smart drive

i have the smart drive for 4 months and rubber on device is wore out , also where the swich plug in has broken twice due to transfer. the unit works great but has not won me over . replacement of rubber rollers expensive and if i have to replace every 4 to 6 months im not going to be happy
                          Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                          The SmartDrive is a distinctly different product compared to existing power add-on systems due of its light weight, transportability, ease of installation/removal, and the fact that it the configuration of the wheelchair does not need to be changed to be able to use it.

We are definitely keeping the demo. In fact, I will be requesting additional mounting clamps so that we have the ability to easily use it on multiple chairs in our clinic (two clamps were provided with our demo unit and I intend to keep one on my personal chair).

There is no idle. It is either on or off. It is very quiet when the motor is providing power assist. When the unit is on, the assistance triggered automatically when the drive wheel senses a change in the rate of acceleration (push rim activation) or when the user holds the button on the battery pack in.

This product would not be well suited for that type of application.

Max Mobility specifically states that the SmartDrive should not be used on wet surfaces.

Traction is provided by the weight of the drive unit and the grip of the drive wheel. As a result, it will perform best on paved surfaces with only minor surface irregularities and moderate inclines.

Agreed. While its price is comparable to e-motion M-15 or Quickie Xtender power assist wheels, I agree with you about the current MSRP.

I see this as a product that will be selectively used by the end whenever circumstances warrant. Examples would be occasions where the user expects to encounter significant inclines, self propel over greater distances, expects have toto deal with hotel carpeting, or instances where wrists & shoulders may need to rest.

Given the current reimbursement climate, it may be difficult to get Medicare or private insurance to cover it. The VA will be more-likely to approve it.

I think the SmartDrive will appeal most to end-users who realize that it would improve their quality of life and are willing to pay out of pocket. Unfortunately, the current MSRP puts it beyond the reach of what I feel would be one of the largest segments of its target market.

JamesFr, you ask some valuable questions that I will respond to in a separate post.

Comment

Originally posted by hodad123 View Post
                            i have the smart drive for 4 months and rubber on device is wore out , also where the swich plug in has broken twice due to transfer. the unit works great but has not won me over . replacement of rubber rollers expensive and if i have to replace every 4 to 6 months im not going to be happy
                            It sounds like you need to unplug before transferring if it gets in your way. The roller wear was an early concern two years ago. Yours is the first mention that I recall since then other than that they are easily consumer replaced. But for the education of the rest of us please tell us what your average daily use is. That is do you commute to work outside a mile each way every day or what? I am an infrequent user, whose SmartDrive mostly only hit concrete pavement between my van and the stores. The rollers on mine are showing almost no wear.

Comment

The wear on the rollers was, and is, a big concern of mine. Since mine is funded by vocational rehabilitation, I don't know what happens when parts wear out. I don't know if they cover it or not... Something I need to check into. I'm pretty sure with my vehicle lift at least I'm on my own for 7 years.

Comment

I didn't use it much in four months but I did have to replace . I use it on all hard surface , I love the unit but don't think it is something I will use daily just when I need it for long hard locations . I would have went with a different powered assist device today

Comment

Working...
                                X