Back Seat Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Seat Height

I read a post where SCI_OT suggested the back seat should support the lower rib cage. What exactly does this mean? Honest to goodness, I am not normally this stupid

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

FWIW the top of my seat back is about level with the bottom of my rib cage.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

That's what I thought and that's where mine is now. What I don't get is how so many run their backs so low. I am 5'2"ish and that puts me at a seat back height of 13" (with a two inch cushion). I figured I must be wrong in my understanding. Thanks.
      E
      There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Comment

I'm 6'1" and my seat back on my current TR is 14" but the TR3 that I've ordered is going to have a 13" height. I've seen some guy's with a back seat height no more than around 6" but they had lower injury levels. I'm a T4,5,6 incomplete.
        SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
        T4,5,6 Incomplete
        Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

I have a high incomplete injury (c5/6 incomplete) and my first chair has a super low sling back and it's awkward and doesn't provide any support- not helpful... on my new chair that I'm still waiting to use, I have a slightly higher jay back and it makes a major difference. I think it's one of the most important measurements.
          An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by stumpybushman View Post
            I'm 6'1" and my seat back on my current TR is 14" but the TR3 that I've ordered is going to have a 13" height. I've seen some guy's with a back seat height no more than around 6" but they had lower injury levels. I'm a T4,5,6 incomplete.
            I have a low insurence and i don`t like that ultra low backs, i like a backrest where my back can rest, i`m a L1 an have a 11.8" backrest height, not much lower than yours as you can see and i`m smaller than you, i`m 5.7 and i use a low profile cushion which influence in the height of the backrest too.
            You can see my back and backrest chair.
            If i would have a high level i will go for something like an ergo back like the pic beside for be as comfy as possible.

So depends about personal tastes, level of insurences and profile of cushion used, a solid seat pan influence too, because that put you in a higher position, is my case.

Comment

Like Toto says, personal preference and varying needs ofnsupport. Some people with low breaks or some kinds of non-SCI can tolerate backs lower than "bottom of ribcage" because they don't need as much support. I think they end up with their backrests right at the lumbar curve. Lowering backrest can have benefits to a certain point as far as allowing your arms not to knock into the backrest when pushing and generally having freer range of motion in that regard. Eventually, though, that particular benefit is subject to diminishing returns, and after that I think it becomes an aesthetic thing. Great for backless dresses.

I am your size within an inch (5'1) and same long-torso body type, so FWIW, my 10" Jay Extreme back is set at 13" from seat sling, maybe 10-11" from the top of the cushion, right now and effectively hits my back and starts offering support at 12-12.5". That gets me right at the bottom of the ribcage. I have weak trunk support, but I do have it, so I don't know whether our differences would affect that. I started at 14" with a fabric back and it felt WAY TOO HIGH. I might be comfortable with an inch lower at most than what I have now, but after that I would definitely be bothered. (You could see my backrest height on my Jay cushion at photobucket.com/wheelerpics to get an idea of what all those numbers look like visually, and on my Stimulite to see what feels too low to me).

I hope that helps to some extent, but I will say that seat back height was something I was sure I wanted to demo when getting a chair. Other people's experiences may help, but your needs are different than my needs are different than everyone else's on this board. Lin and I both have EDS, but have completely different backrest needs. If you can, try out SOMETHING, if only to know what you don't like. I completely agree with Feisty, it's an important measurement to ensure your comfort in your chair.

Comment

Yep, I need a higher support than most it seems. I have a mid thoracic jay 3 back, it comes right up to the bottom of my shoulderblades. I also need adjustable angle on the go and have that with my q7, plus the adjustability on the go from my jay3. I have scoliosis and so I need the extra lumbar support positioned just rigt and not centered. I also need to change up the support on the go at times because of muscle fatigue and spasms. Everyone is unique, you need to determine what works for you!
                Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Your chair has a back seat?

That's awesome!

Comment

Lol Brian. Oops.

Comment

What level is your injury? I went around for a while with a low back and it caused me a lot of pain. I raised it so it hits about where my injury is (t8) and it helped a lot.

Comment

I am actually quad CP. I had a fitting today for new chair and because of the arch I have in my back (not super abnormal I just sit extremely straight and lean forward about 76 degrees relative to my hips) there was some talk of a lower back that has more support than the fabric standard back. So now I need to research various backs so I have an idea of what is available. I have always used the standard adj tension backs and have always had lower back and left shoulder pain. I thought it was a CP thing but the PT thinks i just need a better seating configuration. We'll see I guess.
                        E

Comment

Working...
                        X