No announcement yet.

My new Tilite ZRA one Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can definitely wheelie with anti tippers, just how high is restricted.

As for curbs with anti tippers, I have the same problem. From the forum I found out about the modification to swap out the plastic 'wheels' on the anti tippers with rollerblade wheels. You can use simple bolts from the hardware store for axles, and the rollerblade wheels usually come with bearings already. Then going up a curb you can rock back on the anti tippers, wheel up to put your casters on the curb, and push yourself up it or grab something and pull yourself up. To go down go backwards and once your main wheels are on the ground just back up until you have clearance to put your casters back down.

I haven't tried this yet because of money, but it's still in my plans. I'm still not strong enough to do the curbs really anyway so it hasn't been a priority. I've gone backwards off curbs as described but never without a spotter. In fact one time I ended up stuck because my anti tippers weren't high enough for the curb. With my casters on the curb, tippers on the ground (no rollerblade wheels) and drive wheels in air my roommate had to help lol. *
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
      As for curbs with anti tippers, I have the same problem. From the forum I found out about the modification to swap out the plastic 'wheels' on the anti tippers with rollerblade wheels.
      I am intrigued by this idea, as I also hate that those stock wheels rattle.
      C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Ugh, yes, and they get stuck on things too! I'll hafta go and do that...I'm going to a weekend family camp for kids with my condition, and I'll need the chair there, and need to be able to go off-roading. Def gonna go fix that up that way I don't get stuck in the grass! People are always ready to help me but I don't want help, yknow? I want to do it myself. Thus the whole thing of getting my new chair.
        Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Comment

OK, so I just measured the backrest height...it was set at EIGHTEEN INCHES!!! No wonder it felt so high! I brought it down to 15 and am hoping it will make the COG and leaning into wheelies feel more natural. I could tell yesterday when I tried wheelies minus the tippers in the thick grass at my grandparents' house that the back was too high...unnatural. I actually went over, w/o the tippers, but the grass was so thick I was fine. I'm gonna practice more with the tips and maybe figure out what COG will fit me. I love having the adjustability...wow. I haven't tried this back yet, I'm working on it in between chores, coughing fits (home sick recovering from bronchitis, ugh.) and homework. I want to get back to school tomorrow, but if I can float the casters over the enormous ruts in the sidewalk, that will be a plus. And camp this weekend...I'm so gonna go for those rollerblade wheels!
          Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

Comment

Originally posted by voxina View Post
            ..I'm going to a weekend family camp for kids with my condition, and I'll need the chair there, and need to be able to go off-roading.
            a FreeWheel sounds perfect for you.
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

That thing's epic! Do you have one, Chas? How is it?
              Last edited by voxina; 10 Sep 2012, 5:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by voxina View Post
                That thing's epic! Do you have one, Chas? How is it?
                I don't have one because it's incompatible with my flip-back footrest. (Because of the incompatibility, the VA won't buy me one, and I don't have $500 to buy it on my own.)

But I sure wish I had one so I could engineer a compatibility adapter. A FreeWheel is high on my wish list, but doesn't trump my footrest needs. If I had one, I'm positive I could adapt it to work.
                Chas
                TiLite TR3
                Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                <
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Yeah. Funding...beh. I'd get one, but same story as you, 500$ is an awful lot. Almost as much as my chair cost me! I've been working on wheelie-ing, and riding like that...it's not so hard now as it was, I mean it's hard work but its pretty cool to do. I've gotten over a little bit of grass and short stretches of deep gravel out walking my dog on our country road where I live. He seems to appreciate my newfound passion for going on walks.

Comment

OK, so I got back from camp last night, and the chair did AWESOME! It goes so WELL even up hills, I can push myself, it's hard, yeah, but it I can do it! I have yet to figure out how to curb hop, although I don't necessarily have to do so, but it would be convenient, and save time, in some instances. I'm officially a Tilite fan now.

Comment

Working...
                    X