Pretty-up scuzzy-looking NF rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty-up scuzzy-looking NF rims?

So I just eBayed a set of SPOX with some Natural-Fit LTs. I'm looking forward to trying them out once I get axles for them, but the hand rims, while functional, are not pretty, even compared to my scratched-up black anodized ones. They just look grungy.

What's the best way to recolor the rims? I'm a little skeptical of spray paint in principle, don't think gun black will work on the NF material–thoughts? I use this chair for auditions and performances in opera and dance; it has to look as presentable as possible, but I'm not going to kill my hands to look good; that's the wheeler's equivalent of women wearing high heels.

If your willing to remove them, maybe electrostatic paint will work. Look in the yellow pages for a painting company, and ask them. I had a bunch of storm windows repainted white that way once (inexpensive, too). They looked brand new, and lasted a long time.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

^^Yeah, powder coating them would be a great way to go.

Comment

Would powder coating increase the friction pretty bad? I like the smooth, non-grippy thing the NFs already have going on; wouldn't want to lose that.

Comment

The painter could do it either way; just tell him what you want, and what color, too.
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Where I work we have a lot of parts powder coated and as durable as it is when it comes to scratches, if it ever gets chipped the coating comes off like the shell on a hard boiled egg. So beware.
            SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
            T4,5,6 Incomplete
            Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

You might go talk to a local auto paint shop. See if they can use an epoxy paint. I have my Jeep painted with Corlar, a Dupont epoxy. The stuff is pretty sturdy and easily fixable if you scratch, chip it. I don't think you would have to take the rims off that way. They could tape the wheel up, to not paint the parts you don't want done. Powder coating takes a 400 degree oven, so you couldn't put bearings, tires, maybe not the carbon spokes in there.

Comment

Working...
              X