tire sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire sizes

will a 24" x 1" (25-540) rightrun tire fit my rims that have 24" x 1 3/8" (37-540) tires on them now?

Yes it can

Comment

I asked this question multiple times before getting right runs because I got some differing answers. What it boils down to is your rims. What kind of wheels do you have, or what kind of chair if they're just standard? For example I have a Q7 and just standard wheels. I believe it was jschism, who actually looked up the wheels and told me for a fact I would be safe. And I'm loving my right runs!
      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

yea, they look like nice tires. my rims are just regular sunrims on a quickie.

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64 View Post
          will a 24" x 1" (25-540) rightrun tire fit my rims that have 24" x 1 3/8" (37-540) tires on them now?
          If I understand things correctly it is the second number that would matter since they are both 540 then yes. The first number is dealing with the width of the tire. So xx-540 will fit your rim but as the first number gets bigger you could have to adjust the spacing of your wheels to deal with a wider tire but you are going down in width so you will be fine as PM said yes is the short answer...

Comment

The only problem I've found is you can't put as much air pressure in that skinny tire on a older rim. The new rims are only an inch wide. My tires say 135 psi, but if I put more than 90 in them, they get blown off the rims.

Comment

One thing you'll need to keep an eye on is that when using a wider tire, your tire-to-backrest space will narrow. this shouldn't be a problem when going from 1" to 1-3/8" but anything wider and you may have to adjust your camber or axle/wheel spacing.

Comment

If you have the older chrome Sun Rims (SW6000) where the rim is pretty much flat(like the Quickie Ti or something 5 yrs or longer ago had as standard rim), not sure if a one inch tire would get a good seat for the bead to fully inflate? the newer ones shouldn't be a problem as the rims have become narrower over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                  If you have the older chrome Sun Rims (SW6000) where the rim is pretty much flat(like the Quickie Ti or something 5 yrs or longer ago had as standard rim), not sure if a one inch tire would get a good seat for the bead to fully inflate? the newer ones shouldn't be a problem as the rims have become narrower over the past few years.

jschism, actually it's a brand new quickie. the rims are SUN L20. these tires are 24 x 1 3/8 but they feel skinnier than my old chair that has the SW6000s on it. they don't squall on my damp floors like the old chair does, even with new tires.

Comment

jschism, actually it's a brand new quickie. the rims are SUN L20. these tires are 24 x 1 3/8 but they feel skinnier than my old chair that has the SW6000s on it. they don't squall on my damp floors like the old chair does, even with new tires.
                    They feel skinnier because the rim is narrower, so the bead is closer together. The L20 wheels can be bought with 1" wide tires so you will be good to go.

Comment

One thing I have noticed going back and forth between 24"x1" and
                      24" x 1 3/8" is that the rim (I use Spinergy 540 rims) sits about 1/4" to 1/2 " taller with 24 X 1 3/8" than than the 24" x1". ( and of course conversely, slightly shorter / lower with 24"x1" tires)

When I place them side by side I can see and measure the difference in height. So, if your experience is like mine you will be slightly lower on rear stf with 24" X 1" . It is a very subtle difference but I can feel it slightly in the seating.

Am I crazy or do others experience this?

Comment

No problem. I've run three different sizes on the same wheel/rim. It's the innertube size that has to change. It needs to be proportional to the tire size. 1" for 1" tire and so on.

Comment

Working...
                        X