Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My design of handcontrol

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My design of handcontrol

    Any comment?

    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

    #2
    Originally posted by sowseng View Post
    Any comment?

    [ATTACH]45945[/ATTACH]
    Looks like a good start nice and simple I think the simpler the better. I couldn't use it because I'm a quad and couldn't squeeze the gas. How are you going to mount it in a vehicle, what material is it going to be made out of and what type of pivot point are you going to use.

    It looks great keep working on it
    ^^(A)^^

    Comment


      #3
      If squeeze for throttle is the design, I would think that would be contrary to emergency reflex. My guess is that a reflex reaction to most emergencies is a tensing, which might translate to squeezing. That would be OK if squeezing were the brake, but bad if it is the throttle.
      C-6/7 incomplete

      Comment


        #4
        would it be completely manual?
        Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

        Visit my hand controls website for more information.

        Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

        You can also see my story here.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by darty View Post
          Looks like a good start nice and simple I think the simpler the better. I couldn't use it because I'm a quad and couldn't squeeze the gas. How are you going to mount it in a vehicle, what material is it going to be made out of and what type of pivot point are you going to use.

          It looks great keep working on it
          Yes, I like simple design, this design is a simplify of the MPD classic 3500. MPD classic 3500 is much too complicated, too many component, not easy to install.

          I am not an engineer, so other detail of this rough idea ( material used, how to mount etc) is yet to settle.

          When this idea came to me, I do consider those who has less function of hand, for my right hand also not very strong. So enclose with the illustration may clarify your question.

          Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Kulea View Post
            If squeeze for throttle is the design, I would think that would be contrary to emergency reflex. My guess is that a reflex reaction to most emergencies is a tensing, which might translate to squeezing. That would be OK if squeezing were the brake, but bad if it is the throttle.
            In Malaysia, we have another local made hand control, also squeeze for gas and push forward for brake, so far there isn't any issue you mention has happened.
            Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by sowseng View Post
              Yes, I like simple design, this design is a simplify of the MPD classic 3500. MPD classic 3500 is much too complicated, too many component, not easy to install.

              I am not an engineer, so other detail of this rough idea ( material used, how to mount etc) is yet to settle.

              When this idea came to me, I do consider those who has less function of hand, for my right hand also not very strong. So enclose with the illustration may clarify your question.

              [ATTACH]45960[/ATTACH]
              Yes the MPD line of controls are more complicated than they need to be you can find all the instructions for most models they make here.

              http://www.mobilityproductsdesign.com/manuals.asp
              ^^(A)^^

              Comment


                #8
                The first hand control that I had was custom made by a friend and it also had a cable and lever which came from a motorcycle. The problem that I had was that the cable would break after a month or so even though it was a strong motorcycle cable. The only reason that we could come up with was the constant pressure and forces put on the cable while in use.

                Believe me when I say that it sucked to be out somewhere alone and the cable break leaving you unable to drive.

                Sorry but after my experience there's no way in hell that I'd go back to this type of system.
                SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                T4,5,6 Incomplete
                Chair: TiLite TR3

                Comment


                  #9
                  A Stronger cable like speedometer size might help or solid marine type solid core it is super strong used for shifting ,inboard , outboard motors controls ...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Stumpybushman is correct. The cables take a lot of abuse. They are also a pain to change. Where do you intend to attach the end of the cable? If it is to the pedal it will fail in a short amount of time. If directly to the throttle body it will last a bit longer, but is harder to change.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      A marine Teleflex type of cable could possibly work

                      Comment


                        #12
                        When we first put the custom hand controls on my car we originally attached the cable to the throttle body. But soon realized that the spring on the throttle body was not strong enough to handle the extra cable which caused the throttle body to stay open. Scared the shit out of me when I realized that the throttle was hung while driving, I had to turn the ignition off just so I could get stopped.

                        I'm not trying to kill the design, just trying to let everyone know about my experience with this type of hand control.
                        Last edited by stumpybushman; 2 Aug 2012, 10:24 PM.
                        SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                        T4,5,6 Incomplete
                        Chair: TiLite TR3

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by stumpybushman View Post
                          When we first put the custom hand controls on my car we originally attached the cable to the throttle body. But soon realized that the spring on the throttle body was not strong enough to handle the extra cable which caused the throttle body to stay open. Scared the shit out of me when I realized that the throttle was hung while driving, I had to turn the ignition off just so I could get stopped.

                          I'm not trying to kill the design, just trying to let everyone know about my experience with this type of hand control.
                          Thanks for your info.
                          I do consider the issue you encounter, that's why I just use short cable, and not directly attach to the throttle. Also I sometimes need others to drive my car as well, if I attach to the throttle, others might not familiar with the hand control.

                          And my cable is to pull the gas rod, not to the pedal, not like wellsengberg design, need to drill hole on the floor.
                          Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X