Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I sell a power chair ?

That Cigna insurance paid for in 2010?

Do I have to turn the profit over to Cigna?

It's a $42,000 Permobil stander. It's just too big and bulky for me to use.

Originally posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    That Cigna insurance paid for in 2010?

Do I have to turn the profit over to Cigna?
    How would they know Peter?

Comment

i was told that when it was paid for and you got it, it was YOURS.

Comment

The only problem I can think of is if you needed one in the future, you might be asked for evidence that the old one is worn out or something.
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

sure you can.. the problem is you will not get close to that amount. probably a fraction of $42000. I have a quantum 6000z that costs over $30k that I wanted to put on ebay but haven't because I know I will not get much for it.
          T3 Complete
          to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

sigpic

Comment

Uncle Peter maybe check with Lindsay on abletrader.net, he can help you sell it.
            "Life is about how you
            respond to not only the
            challenges you're dealt but
            the challenges you seek...If
            you have no goals, no
            mountains to climb, your
            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
              Uncle Peter maybe check with Lindsay on abletrader.net, he can help you sell it.
              I think it is abletrader.com...abletrader.net just goes to a GoDaddy page.
              "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

abletrader.com
                Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I sent an email about the chair to Lindsay.

Comment

You guys are right, it is .com not .net as I said. Hopefully he will have some ideas, great guy, I'm currently buying a chair from him myself.
                    "Life is about how you
                    respond to not only the
                    challenges you're dealt but
                    the challenges you seek...If
                    you have no goals, no
                    mountains to climb, your
                    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Used power chairs don't bring much on ebay or craigslist. I recently bought 2 Quantum 600s, both with full rehab seating (tilt, recline, power leg rests). Paid $1000 for that turned out to have 1/10 (as in .1) mile and $550 for one with 2.5 miles.

Biggest mistake I see is that most don't document the seat width and depth in their ad. If you are looking for something like this it matters. If possible, offering to break it down for conventional shipping might open up a bigger market. I'm going to try that with one of the Q600s. The seats are easily separated from the base (4 pins and one main bus cable). No point in shipping used batteries so that's about 70 lb saved. Hoping to get it in 3 boxes under 75 lb each. Why buy and sell? I just wanted to swap leg rest styles on my wife's chair. The seat on the first one was too narrow for her (16"). The second one was just ridiculous cheap, and exactly the right size, so I decided to get a spare.

I'm curious about your permobil stander Uncle. What are the seat dimensions and height of person it was set up for? We have a manual stander but she never uses it anymore because she can't transfer. Maybe we could get enough for our extra Q600s and the Lifestand to get close to your power stander.

Comment

Something else you may want to think about since you will not get much for it is to donate it.

When Ryan outgrew is nice, custom power chair and had to get another, CIGNA bitched about it because the last one was less than two years old (injured at 17, what can you do?) but they paid for a new one. We tried everything to sell the original and ended us donating it to a local non-profit.

The hard part is determining the value to do the tax deduction.--eak
                        Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
                        mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
                        Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

I dob't care what profit I make off the chair, as long as Cigna doesn't charge me with insurance fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Peter View Post
                            I dob't care what profit I make off the chair, as long as Cigna doesn't charge me with insurance fraud.
                            Then posting about it publicly is probably not the wisest thing to do (especially if that's your real name and pic ).

Seriously though, if you really needed a power chair and it was medically justified and paid for by your insurance, how will you get another chair covered given the current chair only being 2 yrs old?

Comment

I think it's OK to post because no sale is planned yet. It's all speculation. I'm on Medicare now, does that give me a clean slate regarding DME purchases, or will medical vendors still probe into my past transactions?

Comment

Working...
                              X