rear wheel camber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wheel camber

if i was to decrease my rear wheel camber from 6 degrees to like 2 or 3. that would raise my rear seat height, correct?

if so, how much?

thanks ahead of time............

Yes, it would raise the RSH.

How much depends...

...on your total rear wheel/tire diameter. Tell me! Then I will tell you.

Comment

It would change a miniscule amount. Here's calcs I worked up awhile back for various cambers and wheel/tire sizes:

Changing from 0 to 6 degrees camber on a 540 tire (24IN) yields a change in axle height of 0.07IN (about 1/16"). Only when you change to sports' cambers (e.g., 18 degrees) is axle-height change noticeable: about a 9/16" (~0.59") for a 24" tire.

NOTE for scale reference: in the top picture, camber is 18 degrees.
      Last edited by chasmengr; 07-20-2012, 09:22 PM. Reason: fix typo's in diagram
      Chas
      TiLite TR3
      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
      <
      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by ChrissyOT View Post
        Yes, it would raise the RSH.

How much depends...

...on your total rear wheel/tire diameter. Tell me! Then I will tell you.
        right now i have 16 1/2 RSH. i've got 24 x 1 3x8 wheels. 6 degree camber. i wanna go to 3 degrees.

what is it? like a 1/2 inch every camber degree? it's a gpv, with the washers. it has 6 washers now.

Comment

Originally posted by rollin64 View Post
          what is it? like a 1/2 inch every camber degree?
          Because the change in height is based on trigonometry, the change in height is not a constant rate (like 1/2"/degree).

Originally posted by rollin64 View Post
          right now i have 16 1/2 RSH. i've got 24 x 1 3x8 wheels. 6 degree camber. i wanna go to 3 degrees.

what is it? like a 1/2 inch every camber degree? it's a gpv, with the washers. it has 6 washers now.
          For your 24" diameter wheels, changing from 6 degrees to 3 degrees of camber would raise your RSH about 1mm (i.e., 1/25") - miniscule.

PS: sorry I jumped in. You were asking Chrissy
          Last edited by chasmengr; 07-20-2012, 08:03 PM.
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
            It would change a miniscule amount. Here's calcs I worked up awhile back for various cambers and wheel/tire sizes:

[ATTACH]45774[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH]45775[/ATTACH]

Changing from 0 to 6 degrees camber on a 540 tire (24IN) yields a change in axle height of 0.07IN (about 1/16"). Only when you change to sports' cambers (e.g., 18 degrees) is axle-height change noticeable: about a 9/16" (~0.59") for a 24" tire.

NOTE for scale reference: in the top picture, camber is 18 degrees.
            wow....thanks chasmengr. that kinda put things in perspective. it's fine you jumped in. i'm lookin for input, lol. miniscule is what i wanted to hear, haha.

Comment

Leave it to chaz to point it out in a diagram.
              That's sarcasm, but definitely not in a bad way.
              Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                Leave it to chaz to point it out in a diagram.
                That's sarcasm, but definitely not in a bad way.
                Hey, I'm an engineer
                Diagrams are a huge part of my thinking process.
                Chas
                TiLite TR3

<
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                  Hey, I'm an engineer
                  LOL! Woo woo!!
                  Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

Don't forget to make sure your front casters are at 90o after changing. You may want to check for toe in/out on the rear wheels. If it feels more clunky after going to a 3o just move the cog up a smidge and it'll turn as fast as when it was 6o.

Comment

You never cease to amaze me chas!

From your chart, do I have it right that a 25" wheel with 2 degree of camber would add 0.87" of width to the chair, versus no camber, and 4 degrees would add 1.74" of width?
                      C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                        You never cease to amaze me chas!

From your chart, do I have it right that a 25" wheel with 2 degree of camber would add 0.87" of width to the chair, versus no camber, and 4 degrees would add 1.74" of width?
                        Thank you

You are reading the chart correctly. But be aware, significant-digit accuracy is misleading: real-world factors (e.g., tire & wheel characteristics) can affect these dimensions significantly. In other words, the 0.87 is about 3/4 - 1", and 1.74 is about 1-1/2 - 2" depending on a specific setup. I kept significant-digit accuracy only to reveal the miniscule change in RSH caused by camber changes.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3

<
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Duly noted, thanks. I have had the desire to go 4 degrees, for whatever reason(s), but in the end I don't want to add the width.
                          C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Working...
                          X