Just installed D's Locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grommet View Post
    Anyhow, the reason I am posting is that there is a lot of play. I had heard there would be some especially because of the Spinergy's but I did not think it would be this much. It's 3/4 of an inch. I wanted the locks for all sorts of situations but most on my mind was for riding the bus. I think I'm going to be rocking back and forth like crazy. Don't know how I'm going to like that.
    I don't know if I'm just lucky, but I have D's Locks on a TE Terminator with high flange Sun wheels, and when the piston is engaged, the chair barely moves in either direction. I had assumed when people were talking about play that they were talking about what happens if the piston hits between the holes and you have to move a little forward or back so that it engages.

What you have to watch out for on a bus is tipping over forwards or backwards (depending on the direction you're facing) precisely because the chair is so stationary with the locks engaged.

One problem, and I will figure it out somehow is that I am getting a rattle on the left side. The piston is shaking against the cylinder as I go down the sidewalk.
    One regular maintenance item is checking that the cable end of the piston housing is completely screwed in. It works its way loose over time.

Comment

I have that same bracket, Steve sent it to me with the order. I didn't have enough room at the end of my axle tube (damn, would have been ideal). Also he said after he looked at pictures of my TR set up that I'd need different clamps. He gave me some that he says he uses on Quickie XTR's. They worked perfect. The aluminum is so lightweight I'm hoping I don't notice the difference. First time I break her down and get her in the car, I'll find out.
      I understand. Makes sense. It's so nice to have someone like Steve participating in the mobility industry. His depth of knowledge and willingness to share it and use it to help make rolling around in these contraptions a better experience deserves lots of recognition, and appreciation.

Most of the wiggle is in your rims, IMO, with properly setup pistons, which yours appear to be. I notice a big difference between steel vs composite spoked rims on my chairs.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Comment

Maybe this is a stupid newbie question, but can anyone tell me the significant pro's/con's between D's locks and ADI Disc Brakes (Variable Lever).

I'm definitely missing some important information about this. We are looking for a braking system that can be used by one hand, and is variable depending on the grade. The clunkiness of the D's locks already has me concerned, not to mention how hard they might be to install.
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
          im confused. why that big ass block. my clamp is on the inside, the one in dales pic. you remove the entire camber tube to assemble. and your handle is backwartds, you want it to rotate in when locked so not sticking out.
          We (Steve and I) tried putting the block on the inside and the piston/barrel couldn't reach far enough, that's why we went with the blocks for a Quickie XTR. Fits great. I don't know what you mean about the handle. I want the handle to disappear when the wheels are unlocked and sticking out when the wheels are locked.

btw your icon is not nice for me to look at

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
            Maybe this is a stupid newbie question, but can anyone tell me the significant pro's/con's between D's locks and ADI Disc Brakes (Variable Lever).

I'm definitely missing some important information about this. We are looking for a braking system that can be used by one hand, and is variable depending on the grade. The clunkiness of the D's locks already has me concerned, not to mention how hard they might be to install.
            Search for threads that compare D's Locks and Surelocks, there are a few. I had a hard time installing them but that doesn't mean everyone would. I find lot's of things difficult. Girlfriend helped teach me how to ride the bus.

I went with D's Locks because they are half the price but I also I contacted both and the fellow at Surelocks, well, he didn't inspire confidence in me. Since I hadn't used hub locks before I asked him (Jack at Surelock) what about the locks coming on accidentally and I swear his reply was, "You don't want to do that." I thought, okay, great.

Everyone isn't going to agree on equipment, it's about what works for you. Talk about what's best doesn't make sense to me. If what you have works for you then it is the right thing. Check things out, talk to people, make up your own mind. Personally I'm getting a little tired of people telling me I've made the wrong choice no matter what I choose. But as my GF pointed out, I am posting on the internet and people can comment.

I wouldn't ride on a pair of Glance wheels unless I had no other choice. Some people save up to buy them. I love my Spinergy's, some folks are crazy about Round Betty. It's all high end equipment at this point, I don't think any of it is bad. Make it work for you :-)

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post

D's (and SureLocks) are LOCKS not brakes. To my knowledge, ADI has the only true wheelchair brakes on the market. With locks, you can either move (unlocked) or not move (locked). With brakes, you can slow down while moving.

IMHO (i.e., amateur) the ADI variable-lever system is perfect for hemiparesis because it can slow both wheels with one hand. ADI's will have to be carefully and periodically adjusted so the brakes apply equally to both wheels, but from what I've read here on CCC by ADI brake owners, adjusting is simple. Maybe one of them will chime in.

Installing ADI brakes is much more involved than installing hub brakes. With ADI's, a special piece must be press fit into each wheel; press fitting requires very special tools.

Last edited by chasmengr; 07-20-2012, 10:12 PM. Reason: add picture
              Chas
              TiLite TR3
              Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
              I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
              <
              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                . . . and your handle is backwards, you want it to rotate in when locked so not sticking out.
                . . . I don't know what you mean about the handle. I want the handle to disappear when the wheels are unlocked and sticking out when the wheels are locked.
                Handle positioning is really personal preference. Mine is on the backrest's crossbar. The handle's flexible positioning is one thing I love about hub locks

Chas
                TiLite TR3
                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                <
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Where can I get springs for my locks? Mine don't lock anymore... A heavier spring would be great. Do anyone know the size and weight of the spring?

Comment

Originally posted by ckhouri View Post
                    Where can I get springs for my locks? Mine don't lock anymore... A heavier spring would be great. Do anyone know the size and weight of the spring?
                    I'd just ask Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                      Handle positioning is really personal preference. Mine is on the backrest's crossbar. The handle's flexible positioning is one thing I love about hub locks

[ATTACH]45776[/ATTACH]
                      You don't tweak your shoulder reaching around to get to that?

I'm always fooling around with the location of the lever, but wherever it is, I like the unlocked position to be flush with the tube, and locked to be sticking out. Makes it easier to point out to other people where it is that way.

Comment

We (Steve and I) tried putting the block on the inside and the piston/barrel couldn't reach far enough, that's why we went with the blocks for a Quickie XTR. Fits great. I don't know what you mean about the handle. I want the handle to disappear when the wheels are unlocked and sticking out when the wheels are locked.

btw your icon is not nice for me to look at
                        wow, how wide is your chair.

the icon will grow on you, or not. me likes.
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com
                        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

mcmaster carr
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com
                          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Are you sure the cylinders and cables don't just need to cleaned and lubed?
                            Chas
                            TiLite TR3

<
                            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by Katja View Post
                              You don't tweak your shoulder reaching around to get to that?
                              Since that pic was taken, I've moved it a bit more outboard, but no I don't tweak my shoulder reaching for it; basically I just rotate my elbow.
                              Chas
                              TiLite TR3

<
                              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                                Since that pic was taken, I've moved it a bit more outboard, but no I don't tweak my shoulder reaching for it; basically I just rotate my elbow.
                                Very cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X