Your level of injury vs. getting a flat on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your level of injury vs. getting a flat on the road

When you're out and about on your handcycle and suddenly get a flat, what do you do, given your level of injury? Do you have a riding buddy? Do you call someone? DO you have sufficient mobility to change a flat?

I'm just curious... I had a flat yesterday, and while I do have sufficient mobility to change a flat on the road, I didn't bring any spare tubes with me, so I ended up calling my wife to pick me up... Luckily, I was only about a half a mile from home.

so how was the extra 12??? and which tire burst?

Comment

Hi Mark - the extra 12v was a definite joy... should've done in on Day 1.

Initial acceleration was improved, as well as slight improvement in climbing. Big difference in flat-terrain speed. I didn't push it yesterday, but I could've gone much, much faster.

However, what I liked best was the fact that even though I was somewhere in the middle gears, it felt like I was in granny gear going at 27 mph. Pedaling was so easy that my cadence was definitely increased, thus giving me a better workout over my typical "masher" approach.

It was lot of fun... until I ran into some metal mesh on the road (in the bike lane). I didn't notice it until I was on top of it and dragging it. I blew out my front tube -- fixed it last night so I'm ready to go out there again.

Comment

Originally posted by kleonin View Post
        Hi Mark - the extra 12v was a definite joy... should've done in on Day 1.

Initial acceleration was improved, as well as slight improvement in climbing. Big difference in flat-terrain speed. I didn't push it yesterday, but I could've gone much, much faster.

However, what I liked best was the fact that even though I was somewhere in the middle gears, it felt like I was in granny gear going at 27 mph. Pedaling was so easy that my cadence was definitely increased, thus giving me a better workout over my typical "masher" approach.

It was lot of fun... until I ran into some metal mesh on the road (in the bike lane). I didn't notice it until I was on top of it and dragging it. I blew out my front tube -- fixed it last night so I'm ready to go out there again.
        Thats great to hear!!!

I am so torn. I know how much I enjoy the extra 12v to make it 48v....but at the same time I worry about people going too fast at first and getting into trouble. That is why I do not push people to buy the extra 12v.

I find the speed addictive too. I end up working harder than I ever would without the assistance. I go on longer rides and find that I don't want to come home. And when I do come home I am absolutely beat....with bugs in my teeth.

Anyway, glad it worked out, and be careful out there

Comment

I carry fix a flat and a pump.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB701 View Post
            Thats great to hear!!!

I am so torn. I know how much I enjoy the extra 12v to make it 48v....but at the same time I worry about people going too fast at first and getting into trouble. That is why I do not push people to buy the extra 12v.

I find the speed addictive too. I end up working harder than I ever would without the assistance. I go on longer rides and find that I don't want to come home. And when I do come home I am absolutely beat....with bugs in my teeth.

Anyway, glad it worked out, and be careful out there
            Yeah, I'd like to go on a longer ride, but other than going over the same trail multiple times, there's just too much car traffic if I venture out on other roads... SoCal has a car culture after all.

I do think you should continue to sell both 36V and 48V, but I would say that if your customer is over 200 lbs (I weigh 215) and is planning to use a pannier on rides (like I do -- except yesterday ), you should bring up the 48v. The difference was noticeable for me, especially the initial acceleration from a dead stop.

Comment

Originally posted by kleonin View Post
              When you're out and about on your handcycle and suddenly get a flat, what do you do, given your level of injury? Do you have a riding buddy? Do you call someone? DO you have sufficient mobility to change a flat?

I'm just curious... I had a flat yesterday, and while I do have sufficient mobility to change a flat on the road, I didn't bring any spare tubes with me, so I ended up calling my wife to pick me up... Luckily, I was only about a half a mile from home.

I have enough mobility for change the tube, i always have with me 2-3 tubes, a foling tire and a tool for inflate.

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                I have enough mobility for change the tube, i always have with me 2-3 tubes, a foling tire and a tool for inflate.
                I usually carry tubes and a pump, but not a folding tire... I need to add that.

Comment

I ride the flat tire home. May end up with a few nicks in the rim but that's easy to sand out. If it's a long way from home where I got the flat, I ride slower and put on a new tire.

Got one last week about a mile from home, rode it home and used the same tire. No Problems with it yet.

I used to ride on Nimble Crosswinds, a carbon fibre wheel. If I had a flat, I had to stop right there and call someone. Having glue on sew-ups was a pain. Went back to a great quallity stainless double butted spoked wheel. No problems riding it home at all. The flat tire protects the rim pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                    I ride the flat tire home. May end up with a few nicks in the rim but that's easy to sand out. If it's a long way from home where I got the flat, I ride slower and put on a new tire.

Got one last week about a mile from home, rode it home and used the same tire. No Problems with it yet.
                    Thought about doing that, but I live on top of a hill, so the only way home would be to have PP push me up that hill. Wasn't sure what that would've done to my rim.

Comment

Working...
                    X