Question about handcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
    What did you not like about the XLT? What did it lack that you seek? Do you currently ride? If yes, What bike?

The XLT was just fine. Having put tens of thousands of miles on my trusty GS scoots on the open road, motorbike camping, etc, in the years prior to my injury I'd had enough wind in my face to last me.

It was kind of boring, kind of painful, and a bit of an emotional obstacle to put myself onto the road, on a bike, again.

Hopefully, YMWV!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

been handcycling for 36 yrs now. Had at least ten XLT's and XLT Pros. They were the fastest bike in the world at one time. THe design is at least 20 years old.

The turning aspect of the XLT lifts the legs up while the FRH1 and !a doesn't. It seemed I was always trying to adjust the XLT's to perform a little better, with the FRH haven't had to do that and the turning is much more efficient.

If you can buy a used XLT for cheap, they are a great first bike. If you are a l ower injury, I suggest the Freedom Ryder leansteer. Best bike for working the core and balance. If I were to buy new with not a whole lot of money, I would look at the FRH1A. It's the same frame as the FRH1 without the upgraded components. You can always reward yourself for miles done by upgrading them.

Whatever bike you end up with will be worth it. It'll get you outdoors without your chair and get you in great shape. If you like riding, this will not be your last bike.
      Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 29 Jul 2012, 7:54 PM.

Comment

Any thoughts on the Force G?
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

For myself, the Force G's are okay. They are just a slight remake of the old T/E Gold. If I were just a little lower injury with better lower core muscle; not wanting to race competitively, I'd go with a leansteer without hesitation.

Being a little higher injury and not wanting to transfer as low as the G is, I went with the FRH1. I feel there are a few other bikes out there that are more efficient than the G. If you could find a used one, that would be great

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
            For myself, the Force G's are okay. They are just a slight remake of the old T/E Gold. If I were just a little lower injury with better lower core muscle; not wanting to race competitively, I'd go with a leansteer without hesitation.

Being a little higher injury and not wanting to transfer as low as the G is, I went with the FRH1. I feel there are a few other bikes out there that are more efficient than the G. If you could find a used one, that would be great
            I have an opportunity to try out a Top End product of my choice next week. I have no clue what to try, but the Force R; Force G and the Force CC? seem like the bikes that are most likely to match my idea of enjoyable riding. I'm sure I'll have an easier time deciding after seeing, touching and riding an actual handcycle. Right now, my frame of reference is pretty virtual and I'm a hands-on guy. Big advantage to Top End is that they are in-state for me.

Also interested in the Freedom Ryders and the Quickie Shark rS. Eager to find a leansteer to try. I've got one hip that isn't quite wonderful (not pain, just not a perfect joint). I don't know if that's an issue with leansteer? Is this like sailing leaning, or something more subtle?
            Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Sounds like it's all falling ing place FO. Top End make great bikes. The only reason I went FRH was because they didn't have a frame in a higher configuration other than the XLT. Which is one I dumped two models before. Really pissed me off that I had to go to another company.

Going to the bike rodeo is going to make all the difference in a wise choice. And with T/E in Florida; that's just icing on the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
                Eager to find a leansteer to try. I've got one hip that isn't quite wonderful (not pain, just not a perfect joint). I don't know if that's an issue with leansteer? Is this like sailing leaning, or something more subtle?
                I have a Freedom Ryder LC-1. Lean steering is a very similar motion to slalom skiing -- the harder you lean, the harder it turns. The fun of it comes when you have a long winding road or even a relatively wide road (with no cars) -- lean left, then right and so on, and the LC-1 will go wherever you lean. It is a lot of fun. Also, one advantage of a lean-steer is that you can pedal while turning.

You do need core strength to ride a lean steer, i.e., low injury.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the tradeoff of the aerodynamics of riding low and flat versus sitting upright enough to enjoy the pleasure of sight-seeing the country through which you are riding? There must be a generalized sweet spot (degree of recline), although I'm sure that place will be somewhat individualized. It can get windy in these islands on occasion. Leg cyclists who use a bike sheerly for transportation often pedal downwind and take a cab upwind (all the cabs have bike racks.) I say this in regard to a need to be reasonably air streamed.

I do understand that some riders just want maximum performance. I may be wrong, but I don't think that's what I want from handcycling. Of course, I want the mechanics of the bike to be enjoyable to use. I also want the option to move along rapidly. Some of the pictures of the high trikes lead me to believe I want to be lower and flatter. But yes, I want to see where I'm going and enjoy the sights fully.
                  Foolish

Comment

One thing I really like on the Freedom Ryders is the road compensator. With the T/E I seemed to rip the rubber grommet off on really sharp turns.

I agree Kleon, there's nothing like ripping down a winding road on a leansteer. Always made me feel like I was in a jet cockpit. It was the best fun bike I ever owned. Just a little too high in the injury or I'd still have one. Frh was the second best then the T/E's. I didn't like the way the leg lifted on a turn with the T/E. May have changed with the new Force' models.

For me, on the roads I ride, I want to be seen and not have to worry about if the frame is going to drag if I go on a trail or over a speed bump.

Comment

Originally posted by kleonin View Post
                      Also, one advantage of a lean-steer is that you can pedal while turning.
                      It is possible to pedal while turning with a headset steering bike. It´s just a matter of practice. Lots of practice.

Comment

FO, if the transfer back to chair will be challenging for you go with the higher bike as you may ride less anticipating the difficult transfer. If you are pretty sure you want to enter races probably go w reclined, low frame as you will undoubtedly be faster. If you will mainly be riding on the shoulders of public roads bear in mind you may be invisible to texting or otherwise distracted drivers in a low reclining bike - definitely use a flag no matter what bike you get when riding in these situations. Back when I did wheelchair road racing a number of racers died when training when hit by cars and in a reclining bike w low frame you are even less visible. If you are forced onto an unpaved road shoulder you will do better on a higher framed bike. If you anticipate much use on non paved, poorly paved or badly maintained, irregular surfaces avoid the lower framed, reclined bikes. If you just want to have fun riding w AB friends consider Mark's PowerPod or the Freedom Rider w lithium, battery built in otherwise your AB buddies will be waiting on you halfway up the hill.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                          FO, if the transfer back to chair will be challenging for you go with the higher bike as you may ride less anticipating the difficult transfer. If you are pretty sure you want to enter races probably go w reclined, low frame as you will undoubtedly be faster. If you will mainly be riding on the shoulders of public roads bear in mind you may be invisible to texting or otherwise distracted drivers in a low reclining bike - definitely use a flag no matter what bike you get when riding in these situations. Back when I did wheelchair road racing a number of racers died when training when hit by cars and in a reclining bike w low frame you are even less visible. If you are forced onto an unpaved road shoulder you will do better on a higher framed bike. If you anticipate much use on non paved, poorly paved or badly maintained, irregular surfaces avoid the lower framed, reclined bikes. If you just want to have fun riding w AB friends consider Mark's PowerPod or the Freedom Rider w lithium, battery built in otherwise your AB buddies will be waiting on you halfway up the hill.
                          Thanks, AG! Tranfers shouldn't be a problem. The other drawbacks of a low bike are concerns. Not planning to do much (if any) competitive racing. I'm wanting to mostly have a fun method of exercising in the great outdoors. The Keys are flat as a board, and I'm interested in biking because it's something I can do without coordinating with others. I'd be playing basketball if it didn't require so much organizational effort. There are some great trails, but getting to them requires either hauling or riding through some rough stuff and traffic. More and more, it seems like the lay flat competition bikes aren't going to suit me. What I really want is a bat-bike that has the ability to quickly switch configurations to suit my changing need.
                          Foolish

Comment

A FreedomRyder might be your best choice.

Comment

Last weekend, I test-rode a new prototype bike from Intrepid. It is a reclined bike, but it isn't as low or laid back as the all-out racing bikes. It was very solid and strong and had an easy transfer (because of the unique frame design.) In talking with the owner of Intrepid, it is expected that the production version should be in the works within the next month or two. It might be worth checking out. It seems to have a pretty good balance of performance and comfort.

Comment

AG; TWL - thanks! Will check out both.
                                Foolish

Comment

Working...
                                X