Fixed Back vs. Folding (Adjustable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed Back vs. Folding (Adjustable)

For my next chair (TR) I have been contemplating going with a fixed back. On my folding back there is some play in it and I haven't adjusted the angle since I found the spot to my liking and I have never folded the back down. On the other hand, with the folding back I will always have the ability to change my seat back angle if desired. I go back and forth on the issue, so I thought I would pose the issue to you all to get some thoughts.

I will add a second question asking how much better is the new bracket on the folding seat back vs. the older design?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

If you ordered a Matrx MX1 backrest with the mono mount attachment (to a round rigidizer bar) you could have the best of both worlds: a fixed back and an angle-adjustable backrest.

http://www.motionconcepts.com/pdf/seating/Mx1.pdf
    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

A possibility Stephen. I just tried an ADI solid back on my current chair and I didn't like it. I wanted to try a solid back on my current chair prior to any chair order. I may have liked the ADI back more if I could have gotten it lower, but the 2 point pro bracket was running into my rigidizer bar and not allowing me to lower the back past a certain point.

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
        For my next chair (TR) I have been contemplating going with a fixed back. On my folding back there is some play in it and I haven't adjusted the angle since I found the spot to my liking and I have never folded the back down. On the other hand, with the folding back I will always have the ability to change my seat back angle if desired. I go back and forth on the issue, so I thought I would pose the issue to you all to get some thoughts.

I will add a second question asking how much better is the new bracket on the folding seat back vs. the older design?
        With the level of injury you have I would guess your backrest height is in the 13-14 inch range? Do you transfer into a car and put your chair in the passenger seat? If so (or if anyone who has a fixed back that high) is that a problem? I have tried to get my ZRA in my car without folding down the back and I can do it, but it is PIA and I have yet to do it without honking my horn.

Comment

My back is 18", I believe. I do not transfer into a car, couldn't it I wanted.

Comment

We are also looking into the ADI solid back for a new chair (probably ZRA). I read some where on this forum to make sure you have a 4” Deep Backrest Rigidizer Bar with enough room for ADI back to avoid the problem of positioning.

A possibility Stephen. I just tried an ADI solid back on my current chair and I didn't like it. I wanted to try a solid back on my current chair prior to any chair order. I may have liked the ADI back more if I could have gotten it lower, but the 2 point pro bracket was running into my rigidizer bar and not allowing me to lower the back past a certain point.
            Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
              We are also looking into the ADI solid back for a new chair (probably ZRA). I read some where on this forum to make sure you have a 4” Deep Backrest Rigidizer Bar with enough room for ADI back to avoid the problem of positioning.
              True dat.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I have a 18 " backrest it is foldable and adjustable for my quirks when I get into it etc...
                also I like the Folding back feature because I can reach behind me Grab the Strap Pull it and set my angles because I like to have the flexibility ... Pulling the strap releases the 2 pins and off I go

Comment

My back is 18", I believe. I do not transfer into a car, couldn't it I wanted.
                  Sorry if it was an insensitive question, it wasn't meant to be.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                    Sorry if it was an insensitive question, it wasn't meant to be.
                    LOL...Nope, not at all.

Comment

Hi Brianm Good to hear from you hope all is well

How is the weather up yonder ?

Keep in touch feel free to pm me
                      Sincerely ;
                      GL

Comment

For my next chair (TR) I have been contemplating going with a fixed back. On my folding back there is some play in it and I haven't adjusted the angle since I found the spot to my liking and I have never folded the back down.?
                        The answer is easy: if you never have folded your back down for what reason you want a folding backrest in your next chair?

Just order it with the same angle you have it now and take all that shit of folding sistem and bolts out of your chair, the chair will become better, lighter and without back noises.
                        Last edited by totoL1; 12 Jul 2012, 6:04 PM.

Comment

I agree toto. I have my first folding back and will only ever buy a folder again. My back is fine as far as play goes but there is always a little "something" when sitting on it. Evert time I hop in my old TX folder with a fixed back it is heaven. Solid is my choice, plus no hardware will ever fail.

Comment

First find your comfort angle and then make it Set solid that position

being most of you all prefer set angles Fixed back styles

Hope all works out

All these years and I never had one problem with my folding angle adjustable chair so different strokes for different folks and I am Not easy on my GTi at all

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
                              depends on the mounting hardware and which ADI back. The adi CF with the fixed elite hardware will have no problem with the rigidizer bar depth

Comment

Working...
                              X