Thinking about driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about driving

I haven't driven in about a decade... The VA granted me an automobile grant when I was injured. I have never used it.

I want to know if there are any suggestions for a car that I can get my wheelchair through the front door.

A few years ago I saw a car that had like a mini third door on the driver's side, in which a para opened and managed to get their chair into the backseat pretty easily.

What kind of chair do you use? The lightweight and ultra lights with pop off wheels and a fold down seatback can even be placed in the front.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I will be using a TiLite. Not sure of the exact specifications, but I know the wheels come off, and I use a modified back rest, but that is removable to; however, the posts do not fold down.

Comment

In general 2 door cars have bigger doors and the passenger seat will flip forward. Letting you put the chair in the back seat.
        http:///forum/showthread.php?t=16336...shirt+cleaning
        Can tell you a little more.

Comment

Yes. I was thinking of the two doors, and I have read a couple threads, but I haven't read the one you linked so thanks.

Right now, I am thinking about some sort hatchback two door; although, it would be nice if the Cougars were still made.

Comment

There's a company called adapt solutions based out of Canada that has a conversion for the Mazda 5 that's pretty cool. You can go to YouTube and type in 'Hawaii mobility Mazda 5' and there's a video that shows it. It's what I drive.
            www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotmeitsyou View Post
              Yes. I was thinking of the two doors, and I have read a couple threads, but I haven't read the one you linked so thanks.

Right now, I am thinking about some sort hatchback two door; although, it would be nice if the Cougars were still made.
              For years the Camero was the #1 crip car. The problem is nowadays you have to give gas milage some priority.
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I love my Mustang GT. It's very easy to get my chair in and out too. I have it down to under a minute
                Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

the Saturn Ion, Honda Element and Mazda RX8 have the "suicide door"...
                  Last edited by roc21; 7 Jul 2012, 11:56 AM.
                  - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Thanks... that is exactly what I wanted to know. The ones with suicide doors will work. Now, it comes down to transferring and gas prices.

I would love to buy a mustang, but the gas prices would be very difficult.

Comment

I'm a T4,5,6 incomplete para with a Tilite TR with a folding backrest. I've been in a chair a little over 19 years and during this time I've had a Mustang GT, Chevy s10 blazer 4x4, Chevy s10 4 door 4x4 truck, Chevy fullsize Silverado truck, and I'm now on my second BMW 3 series sedan. I put the wheels in the backseat and my chair in the front passenger seat.
                      SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                      T4,5,6 Incomplete
                      Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

My Mustang GT gets almost 24 per mile. Get a 6'er and get 30 plus

Comment

Originally posted by Crappler View Post
                          I love my Mustang GT. It's very easy to get my chair in and out too. I have it down to under a minute
                          Miss mine. It was really easy to deal with. I always put the chair and wheels in the back.

Driving a four door is not that bad either. My concern is more with the height off the ground of the vehicle then the door size.

Comment

I understand that there are a wide range of vehicles that would work. I can get into almost any vehicle with my crutches *not saying the way I do it is safe, but sometimes you want to go boating.

My only concern was fitting the wheelchair into the vehicle. My current chair won't fit into anything, not interior house doors, certainly not car doors, and it is burdensome getting into a jeep.

However, the new chair, the TiLite, is supposed to be much smaller, and, therefore, allow me to get it into various vehicles.

Like I wrote I would like a mustang, but gas is expensive. I will look into them, as I saw someone state 26 mpg or there about's.

I like the Honda element, but the VA has stringent rules on mileage for vehicles they adapt, as such I am looking at new or slightly used.

Comment

The V6 Mustang gets well over26 MPG. Highway, that is.

If you get a TiLite TR or ZR, you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X