Buying a new PowerChair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new PowerChair?

I am shopping for a new highend powerchair for a C4 quad. Presently looking at InvaCare Gearless motor tilt and recline chair.

Or a Quickie 646 SE but can't find much info on it their web page info is poor.

Any good advice from those of you using either type of chair? Good things or bad things about these chairs.
    Thank you
    Gordon
    C/4 Quad

You will get some responses here. I would also check out www.wheelchairjunkie.com though.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Stuby, My brother uses an Invacare Arrow, had it for three years with little problem. With tilt/recline. Wheelchairjunkie site is great. Locate a good supplier, demo several different kinds of chairs for a few days to test them in home, van and your regular activities. Helps to make sure service will be available.

Comment

stuby, have you considered the independence technology ibot or iglide?

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 08-23-04 at 08:11 PM.]

Comment

i use a jazzy 1430. it's a tough one. i can tackle rough terrain and i pull/push cars/dumpsters/etc with ease. its heavy duty but not too big to handle cramped indoor spaces.

"Madness has no purpose. Or reason. But it may have a goal."
          Death and taxes

Comment

Wise, someone who has a complete C4 injury would not be appropriate for either the iGlide or the IBOT. The IBOT is currently under a recall as well, with no word when it will again be available.

At this level of injury, a high degree of individualization and customization is required for a decent power chair. Get a consult with an experience SCI PT or OT and have them both write your prescription and link you with the appropriate vendor. You should not just deal with any old DME vendor on this.

(KLD)

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I like most of the Quickie power chairs. I strongly recommend that you take these different chairs for a test drive before the deal is done.

PN
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
              --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
              ––Paul Nussbaum
              usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

The redesigned IBOT will be back in September.
                Jake's Pop

Comment

KLD, I agree. A person who is a true C4 quadraplegic would not be able to use the Ibot or iglide. But, such a person would need to use a sip-and-puff control. The ibot was recently recalled http://www.newmobility.com/review_ar...&action=browse and will not be available until they have it fixed.

People with C6 motor levels can use the ibot in its standard 4-wheel mode. If they can operate a standard joystick power chair, they can use the ibot in its 4-wheel mode. Because of its 4-wheel drive, the ibot can go places that most power chairs may have trouble with (i.e. beach and up/down curbs). A C6 quad can even use the chair in its balance mode. The person of course should not be using the chair in its stair-climbing mode because this requires using the arms to hold on the bannister. However, note that the ibot has handle that allows a caregiver to manipulate the ibot from the back to go up or down stairs. This allows a caregiver to take a person in the ibot up and down steps.

Regarding iGlide, I know a person that was formerly C5 and had recovered C6 who is using the iglide quite effectively.

Wise.

[This message was edited by Wise Young on 08-23-04 at 08:37 PM.]

Comment

There are many options other than sip and puff for a power chair for someone who is a true C4 injury. Sip and puff has some definite drawbacks for many. The question was about C4, not C5, C6 or C7 when obviously there are many more options for both power, power assist or manual chairs.

(KLD)

Comment

oops, i meant 1420.

"Madness has no purpose. Or reason. But it may have a goal."
                      Death and taxes

Comment

For more information on Quickie power chairs, contact Sunrise Medical. Try to demo these chairs before purchasing.

1-(800)-333-4000

PN
                        The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                        --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                        usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Paul a friend of mine uses a quickie and likes it she took it on that 144 mile march with Adapt with no problems.

I'm looking for info on Quickie or InvaCare gearless / brushless motor model.

Such as seating tilt and/or recline (I can't sit up straight)
                          motor problems
                          maintence (I can't repair it so I don't want it falling apart like my friends Jazzy)

I use my chair 12-14 hours a day often times when I travel I will put several miles on it everyday.

Any suggestions?
                          Thanks

Comment

Make sure that you are measured for this chair by a physical therapist. I would also avoid the Jazzy wheelchair. It will come down to the Quickie or Invacare.

PN
                            --General George Patton

––Paul Nussbaum
                            usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm a 27 yr Post C5-6 quad. I bought the Invacare Action Arrow with brushless motors in early '98 and I LOVE IT!! Best chair I've ever had. Initially the motors had started making a noise about 6 months after I had it. They replaced them on recall and I never had a problem again. Never had a problem with the tilt.

It's not completely without its quirks..Most notably is the motors for the most part kinda lose all/most power with over exertion (steep inclines etc).

As everyone noted, you want to make sure its properly measured and all bells and whistles are addressed to meet his/her needs.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X