5" to 4" casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5" to 4" casters

My ZRA2 currently has standard forks with 5x1" casters. The casters are mounted in the bottom hole (not sure why, you can see the marks where my DME once had them mounted in the middle).

I'm thinking about trying some 4x1.4" FL soft-rolls, based in large part on the recommendations I've read on this forum. I'm still a wheelchair newbie (coming up on 1-year in July), so I just want to make sure I understand the ramifications of this change.

Changing from 5" to 4" casters will drop my FSH by 0.5" -- is there anything else I need to change? I know I'll need to raise my footrest so it doesn't catch, but will I also need to drop my RSH to maintain my seating position?

What is the motivation for doing this? I have 5.x1.4 inch casters on my ZRA which replaced the 5.x1s it came with, works great. You will have to adjust your COG and dump to compensate. I like having 5 inch casters, especially for urban travel.

Comment

I wanted to try something that'd be a little easier to maneuver (or so I've read). I'm also pretty obsessed with streamlining my chair - the idea of a slightly smaller wheel appeals to me. I didn't realize, however, that .5" drop would impact so many other settings. I've also been wanting to replace my standard forks with unitines. Since my 5" casters are mounted on the bottom run of the fork, the unitine would drop me .5" (or 1" with the 4" casters). So it looks like I've got a lot of tweaks to make... yippee...

I had my chair spec'd out when I was only 2-weeks post injury (still in a TLSO and 6 broken ribs), so I just went with what the OT suggested. I feel like I've been playing catch up ever since. It's been a real PITA!

Comment

I prefer 4 inches as well (did I just say that?) for the look and performance, at least I do.

You can probably adjust your seat back up to offset the small amount in height difference.
        Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

I wouldn't adjust more than one thing at a time, then use your chair for a day to see if you need to make another adjustment. IMHO day-1) install smaller caster and raise footrest, day-2) lower RSH if necessary, day-3) adjust COG if nesecessary. When you're comfy, check forks to make sure they're vertical.

BTW I prefer 5x1.4 FLAHSR casters. The only reason I'd go smaller would be if I had a flutter problem.
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Chasmeister makes a good point. One thing at a time
            Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Comment

This seems to be an unnecessary obsession. Will they perform mildly better on hard smooth surfaces, probably; but it will be a trade-off and seems like a lot of fiddling for a little. I'd be more inclined to try the 5x1.4's, but we all have our preferences.

FWIW, I plan to go from my 4's to 5's next time.

Just my .02 cents.
              C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

I recently went from 4" x 1.4" softrolls to 5", and noticed no difference in maneuverability, but a lot of difference in the smoothness of the ride, especially over cracks and bumps in sidewalks.
                Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

I went from 5" to 4" and would never go back! The 5" hung up on my feet so much. I think you can take a half inch from your seat height of your ZRa and be good to go.

Pat

ZRa, FreeWheel

Comment

Originally posted by T4Gimp View Post
                    I wanted to try something that'd be a little easier to maneuver (or so I've read). I'm also pretty obsessed with streamlining my chair - the idea of a slightly smaller wheel appeals to me. I didn't realize, however, that .5" drop would impact so many other settings. I've also been wanting to replace my standard forks with unitines. Since my 5" casters are mounted on the bottom run of the fork, the unitine would drop me .5" (or 1" with the 4" casters). So it looks like I've got a lot of tweaks to make... yippee...

I had my chair spec'd out when I was only 2-weeks post injury (still in a TLSO and 6 broken ribs), so I just went with what the OT suggested. I feel like I've been playing catch up ever since. It's been a real PITA!
                    I got my first chair fitted in a TLSO, I ended up having to get an entirely new chair. I can feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by T4Gimp View Post
                      My ZRA2 currently has standard forks with 5x1" casters. The casters are mounted in the bottom hole (not sure why, you can see the marks where my DME once had them mounted in the middle).

I'm thinking about trying some 4x1.4" FL soft-rolls, based in large part on the recommendations I've read on this forum. I'm still a wheelchair newbie (coming up on 1-year in July), so I just want to make sure I understand the ramifications of this change.

Changing from 5" to 4" casters will drop my FSH by 0.5" -- is there anything else I need to change? I know I'll need to raise my footrest so it doesn't catch, but will I also need to drop my RSH to maintain my seating position?
                      If you don't also move the rear down your backrest angle will be steeper than you are used to, which will change the whole weight distribution and feel. Lowering the rear will alter your push stroke, which could be good or bad, depending on how good it is now. General rule = tips of fingers should hang to the center of the hubs. Also, caster squareness would need to be reset for perfection, but that's not entirely necessary, IMO.

If you can go to 5" - 4" and also move DOWN one mounting hole in the forks nothing else will need adjusting. This would be ideal, IMO.
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

To switch from 5 to 4 and keep the FSH unchanged, you could also buy 1/2" fork-stem extensions. My AeroZ1:

Before/stock (6"caster w/o extension):

After (5" caster w/ 1" extension - raised FSH 1/2"):
                        Last edited by chasmengr; 27 Jun 2012, 11:15 PM.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3
                        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                        <
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

You mean switching from 5 inch to 4 inch and vice versa messes everything (specs) up. I think I need to go to the 5 inch. When I was in my hotel in dallas there was 1-1.5 inch threshold to the bathroom that I couldn't get up in my tilite. The casters hit it and just bounced me back when I took a run at it. On my new chair I think I'm going to go with 5 inch casters, but that means I have to figure out all the other bullshit. This shit still confuses me.
                          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
                            . . . On my new chair I think I'm going to go with 5 inch casters, but that means I have to figure out all the other bullshit. This shit still confuses me.
                            On a new chair, the manufacturer will figure it all out - you need only specify the main stuff. It's only when changing an existing chair that it gets complex. (I suspect that's what grommet ran into with the Icon - he was in charge of setting everything up.)
                            Chas
                            TiLite TR3

<
                            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by patd View Post
                              I went from 5" to 4" and would never go back! The 5" hung up on my feet so much.
                              That is not a caster problem, is a built chair problem, not enough distance from the footrest to the barrel fork stems.

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                              FWIW, I plan to go from my 4's to 5's next time.

Just my .02 cents.
                              I did it, softroll 5"x 1.4 give a smother ride outdoors.

Comment

Working...
                              X