No announcement yet.

5" to 4" casters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed from 5" to 4" last fall on my TR and would not think about going back! One thing that I noticed after I changed to 4" was that I seem to not hit the "A" post (the part of the car between the front of the door opening and the windshield) with the caster when I'm getting my chair in or out of my car. Yes, I do feel the ledges in doorways more but it's not that big of a deal.

Now for the bad part about my change from 5" to 4".
    I have a TR which means less changes can be made. So when I changed to 4" casters it caused me to tip forward by a 1/2" and because my chair is an early TR is does not have multiple holes in the forks to allow for adjustment. Due to change in angle I started having all sorts of popping sounds coming from my chair and after talking with Tilite it was determined that the popping was the result on the loss of the 1/2" thus causing extra forces / stress on the rear axel tube and rear spokes.
    Last edited by stumpybushman; 1 Jul 2012, 1:13 AM.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Comment

I quit using the smaller wheels a few years back because I had the roller blade wheels on a chair once and hit a small palm berry when I was pushing down the road and on the forward stroke hit the berry , the chair stopped and I ended up iin the middle of the road with a broken leg..
      So I use the 5" soft rolls now with no problems and really smoothe ride.
      I know you where going to the 4" softrolls but just saying that the smaller the front wheel the faster they stop if you even hit a small stone..
      Gary
      T-10 ,,1980,,

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I didn't realize I would have to adjust so much from a simple .5" drop. I'm not really keen on making that many adjustments, so I think I'm going to stick with 5" for now!

Comment

Originally posted by wtf View Post
          You mean switching from 5 inch to 4 inch and vice versa messes everything (specs) up. I think I need to go to the 5 inch. When I was in my hotel in dallas there was 1-1.5 inch threshold to the bathroom that I couldn't get up in my tilite. The casters hit it and just bounced me back when I took a run at it. On my new chair I think I'm going to go with 5 inch casters, but that means I have to figure out all the other bullshit. This shit still confuses me.
          I know exactly how you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by T4Gimp View Post
            Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! I didn't realize I would have to adjust so much from a simple .5" drop. I'm not really keen on making that many adjustments, so I think I'm going to stick with 5" for now!
            Sounds like a good choice, I really like the look of those frog leg wheesl too. I went for 4" on my new chair, but the only motivation was I prefer how it looks, and I would only recommend it if you're really good at backwheel ballancing and flicking over obstacles (even relatively small stones can have you out of the chair if you're not looking out for them). It's not so bad if your chair is set up very tippy so there's not so much weight on the front wheels.

Anyway, thought you might find this useful for your next chair.
            T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Comment

Originally posted by garyv View Post
              I quit using the smaller wheels a few years back because I had the roller blade wheels on a chair once and hit a small palm berry when I was pushing down the road and on the forward stroke hit the berry , the chair stopped and I ended up iin the middle of the road with a broken leg..
              So I use the 5" soft rolls now with no problems and really smoothe ride.
              I know you where going to the 4" softrolls but just saying that the smaller the front wheel the faster they stop if you even hit a small stone..
              Gary
              4x1.5 FLASHR's are generally good for the end user who is able to keep their front end light and they the difference between that caster design and a 4" rollerblade style caster is huge.

If I had to travel out of town more than I currently do and was spec'ing a new chair, I'd give serious thought to spec'ing a fork placement/swivel radius to allow a 5x1.5 FLASHR caster to be used--even if the initial plan was to stay with 4x1.5 casters. While 4x1.5's have served me well, I have found it a little disconcerting on occasion to be going at a decent clip outside at night without knowing that I may not see an uneven sidewalk crack or expansion strip until I am right on top of it.

Anyone contemplating using power assist wheels in the near future should consider doing the same thing for either a 5 or 6" caster. Most people do not realize that power assist wheels make it impossible to perform some wheelchair skills.

Comment

Working...
              X