marathon plus tires falling apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marathon plus tires falling apart

I got new rims with new schwalbe marathon plus tires in february. Yesterday and today I noticed thread around my handrim so looking closer I found that thread is coming off right where the tire meets the rim to the point where I can see the white inner threads. Is this a defected tire or a common issue with these tires? I got them through sportaid.

c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Tire pressure you've been running is ....... ?

Comment

Yes, I suspect you have been running them under inflated. That causes the rim to cut into the tire where it flattens at the bottom.
      You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
      http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
      http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

around 110 - 115 psi
        and im about 125lbs
        Last edited by Wills77; 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM.
        c6 inc since 2-19-11
        tilite aero z s2

Comment

110-115 should be okay. How often do you check/maintain the pressure? I check mine weekly, and always need to top them off (140 psi).
          Chas
          TiLite TR3
          Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
          I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
          <
          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I usually check them every week. 2 weeks at the most.
            c6 inc since 2-19-11
            tilite aero z s2

Comment

My SMPs usually sink to about 120# 2 weeks on and like chas sez, a 140-145# top-up every 1-2 weeks keeps the sidewalls happy. Seriously under-inflated sidewalls, truck, car or wheelchair, flex beyond design limits and break down sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by Wills77 View Post
                I usually check them every week. 2 weeks at the most.
                Sounds like you're maintaining them well. I'd send Sportaid/Scwhalbe some pics, and ask them about it. Schawlbe's been known to have occasional bad runs; your tires' condition just doesn't seem right to me.

BTW are you sure those are MPs? The tread doesn't look quite right; maybe it's the angle.
                Last edited by chasmengr; 06-27-2012, 01:26 AM.
                Chas
                TiLite TR3
                Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                <
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

That's normal. This is what my Primos look like right now - threads everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by brian View Post
                    That's normal.

What he said. The tires on my handbikes always do that, too. Threads around the bead are nothing to worry about. If the sidewall starts to split, then it's time to worry.

Comment

what is 'the bead'? I know it's part of tires, chair and car... But not what it is. My roommate took one of my car tires for new bead sealant because it was leaking. But I still don't know what that means!
                      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

It's the edge that fits under the rim:

Comment

Working...
                        X