What's ur everyday cushion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
    I have been using a Meridian for the past week, a demo, and thus I really like it. This in place of a ROHO Quattro high profile.

Do you "reset" your air weekly as they suggest?
    Yes, Brianm, I do reset it. I just take it out of my chair when I go to bed (the same night each week), open both valves completely and leave overnight. It's worked out great. Maybe I wouldn't have to take it out of my chair but I don't want to "forget" and get back in and undo everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
      Yes, Brianm, I do reset it. I just take it out of my chair when I go to bed (the same night each week), open both valves completely and leave overnight. It's worked out great. Maybe I wouldn't have to take it out of my chair but I don't want to "forget" and get back in and undo everything!
      Thanks Lynne. FWIW, it only take about 30 seconds, if that, for those cells to re-inflate.
      C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

roho quadtro FTW!
        walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Comment

cushions

I started with piece of crappy foam wrapped in pillow case 36 yrs ago. Then roho high profile. Through by by decutiby, and finally for the last 10 years on a stimulite contour xs. The stimulite holds up very well and no sores (knock on wood)

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
            Thanks Lynne. FWIW, it only take about 30 seconds, if that, for those cells to re-inflate.
            Yes, that would save some time. I DO "play" with it sometimes during the day so know it inflates rapidly. I was told when I got mine to inflate once per week for 8 hrs or overnight. Wonder what that's all about?

p.s. I just spoke to Varilite folks and they say yes the cushion will inflate in seconds but for the cushion to retain its integrity it should be allowed to inflate 8hrs or overnight once per week. That way the foam can completely reform. I just realize ReArkou typed a similar response.
            Last edited by Lynne; 07-09-2012, 12:40 PM. Reason: additional info.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
              Yes, that would save some time. I DO "play" with it sometimes during the day so know it inflates rapidly. I was told when I got mine to inflate once per week for 8 hrs or overnight. Wonder what that's all about?
              As Brian said, it takes seconds for the cells to re-inflate but the ''once x week overnight'' is meant for the total seating position (the form created from your pelvis) of the cushion to reset completely. With time I believe the latter will start to fade, especially to the softer layers of the foam.
              ''Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via''

Comment

Thanks for the info. Lynne and ReArkou; brain fade on the foam needing more time.

Comment

For the last six years I have used just a regular foam. I then had a sore. I then started using a tempurepedic cushion. This made me sweat. The led to the rotten crotch. I moved back to foam. However, I have an air cushion coming. Not sure if it is entirely needed, as I like the foam, but the air one is supposed to be good. idk

Comment

i've been using a varilite evolution for about 6 or 8 months. it feels really good and it's ultra-light. i think i'm gonna go with the zoid next.

Comment

Roho Quadtro. Love it but it would be better if I had sideguards to contain it. I have cambered wheels so there's not a lot of clearance.

Comment

Having bought so many second hand chairs, I have a variety of cushions including a Varalite I bought new off CL. The one I like the best and use most is Stimulite Supracor Contoured. I thought about paying out of pocket for a second one if I could match mine up to what I see on the web, not cheap. Oh, I do have full sensation, I simply cannot walk.
                        I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I've been a roho user for 14 yrs. I'm thinking about switching not sure which one yet. I've had no skin issues with the roho but maintenance on it sucks. Patching holes and it seems to loose air the colder it gets outside. You can't use the cushion to push off when transferring. Someone else mentioned the sides of the cushion expands into your wheels easily. I'm still a little hesitant to switch to a foam cushion because I've had good luck with my skin and that's what is most important. Anybody go from a roho to a foam cushion, have any comments? I'm wanting to try out the Stimulite.

Comment

Extrmmxer, I have used both ROHO and Jay Active cushions for many years at different times; I tried the Stimulite Classic, which is loved by many here, but I was not comfortable on it. As I mentioned above, I have been using the Varilite Meridian for a number of months and I like it. The only downside is that you need (should) reset the cushion once a week, by opening the air valve over night. In doing so you have to find your happy spot again.

Cushions can be very user specific, so maybe you can work with a local DME that has some loaners for you to try.

Comment

The stimulite isn't a foam cushion, its a honeycomb cushion.
                              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Working...
                              X