No announcement yet.

>4"dump - advantages and disadvantages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >4"dump - advantages and disadvantages?

hello all,
    im researching what i want in my new chair. i currently have a tilite tr with 3" dump. for the past few days ive gone around with a cushion stuck under my knees, increasing my dump to probably over 5". (i have full sensation and movement, so im not too concerned with pressure.) i found immediate and pronounced improvement to my balance, muscle usage and range, etc. but are there other, possibly long term disadvantages to this positioning? for example, something like will the pelvic tilt put pressure on my bladder or pelvic floor?
    tia, amy

Originally posted by amyk View Post
    hello all,
    im researching what i want in my new chair. i currently have a tilite tr with 3" dump. for the past few days ive gone around with a cushion stuck under my knees, increasing my dump to probably over 5". (i have full sensation and movement, so im not too concerned with pressure.) i found immediate and pronounced improvement to my balance, muscle usage and range, etc. but are there other, possibly long term disadvantages to this positioning? for example, something like will the pelvic tilt put pressure on my bladder or pelvic floor?
    tia, amy
    I have no idea Amy. But can you take a pic what 5 inches of dump looks like (if you don't mind - no worries if you do.) I have 2.5 but may go 3 on my new chair.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Originally posted by amyk View Post
      hello all,
      tia, amy
      For 4" dump or more go for an ergo seat, that will make differences, remember having more dump will need to get behind you cog.

Comment

I have 5 inches of dump in my chair for the very same reasons you noted...my balance is greatly improved, and it decreases my stomach spasms quite a bit. While I can handle a smaller amount (and actually do in my basketball chair) I have found my everyday wheeling has become much more tolerable.
        "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

I think another alternate choice of ergo seat is a good contour design cushion.

For example, my frame dump is 1", since I am sitting on Jaylite cushion with nicely design contour, and actually I have 3" dump.

The Jaylite cushion has a harder front to hold and raise the tight, also a soft contour to hold my bottom. This create some kind of ergo seat.
          Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

I have 3" of dump, and made an ergo seat wedge out of scrap plywood and lumber (<$2) just to see how the concept works. (I have a solid seat pan.) I don't notice much difference, but I bet it would make a noticeable difference at 5". I have used it for several months now, and (even though I don't seem to notice much difference) I continue to use it. It's comfortable.
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
              I have 3" of dump, and made an ergo seat wedge out of scrap plywood and lumber (<$2) just to see how the concept works. (I have a solid seat pan.) I don't notice much difference, but I bet it would make a noticeable difference at 5". I have used it for several months now, and (even though I don't seem to notice much difference) I continue to use it. It's comfortable.
              Do you have picture to show how you do it?
              Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Hi Sowseng I have pretty much same chair as you
                I use about 3 - 4 inches Dump , I do my own adjustments because of my styles of wheels I use etc... Synergy or my 24 hand nub styles ... It depends in my case
                Camber I have it set at 3 degrees
                My cushion is a Synergy Gel I just got ...

Maybe soon i'll post a side picture of my setup

All the time my friends see me rolling on my wheelie it is a fun ol habit lol

Comment

As for traditional dump, I always thought your seat depth was kind of long and could be a sign that you might be using posterior pelvic tilt for stability.

It is hard to define dump in terms of strictly inches since seat depth also plays a role. For example, 5" of dump with a 19" deep seat will be less extreme than 5" of dump on a 16" deep seat.

What needs to be determined is the optimal seat angle (i.e. seat slope) determining your seat angle.I think that concept is important in your case because you may require less seat depth if the additional dump improved your posture and reduced how much posterior pelvic tilt you needed for stability.

I have found that a seat angle between 12-15 degrees combined with a back angle of 92-96 degrees works fairly well for people who function at a level of around T5 or above. That is roughly 4" on a 16" deep seat.

So, how does one translate inches of dump into the effective seat angle (in degrees) at a given seat depth?

One of the founding fathers of custom rigid frame specification theory, Greek philosopher, and long time friend of CareCure, Pythagoras has a theorem named after him that is particularly helpful.

The following link can eliminate having to do the math...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

Side a: Seat Dump
                  Side b: Seat Depth
                  Angle A: Seat angle

I'm still unconvinced as to the benefits of an ergo seat (and yes toto, I read the info you posted several months ago).

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                    I'm still unconvinced as to the benefits of an ergo seat (and yes toto, I read the info you posted several months ago).

Sit on a chair with 5" dump and 16" seat depth for a week and after seat in a chair with the same dump and depth seat but with an ergo seat, after that, maybe you could see any benefits.

Comment

Hi toto I agree with you

I just got my new cushion which is like Night / Day
                      IMOP everyone has their own preferences and if my old Sales rep spent a week in my chair prior to my own setup preferences and all
                      She would have had some super serious Hemmroids .

BTW how is the weather ?

Have a good Sunday

Sincerely ;
                      GL

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                        Sit on a chair with 5" dump and 16" seat depth for a week and after seat in a chair with the same dump and depth seat but with an ergo seat, after that, maybe you could see any benefits.
                        You say that like somebody who has used that configuration personally--which I highly doubt to be the case.

5" of dump on a 16" deep seat is not something I would use personally nor is it something I would be likely to spec for anyone else. 5" of seat dump on a standard frame will require the user to sit with excessive hip flexion and puts a fair amount of internal stress on the hips.

I'd be concerned about an increased risk of developing hip flexion contractures. I've also seen a few users who used similar dump and others who tended to habitually lean forward with their forearms on their thighs develop a subluxation of their femoral head. I have no scientific proof that chronic sitting in extreme hip flexion causes subluxation of the femoral head, but it seems to be a common denominator in the people I know that have developed it.

5" of dump in an ergo frame would take some of that stress off the pelvis, but there are better ways to provide good pelvic positioning and postural support. That ergo bend limits what type of cushion can be used, and the better positioning cushions are not compatible with an ergo frame. Less dump and a good positioning cushion will trump extreme dump or extreme dump with an ergo frame every time.

For purposes of this discussion, I consider anything in excess of 4.5" with a 16" seat depth to be extreme dump.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                          5" of dump on a 16" deep seat is not something I would use personally nor is it something I would be likely to spec for anyone else. .
                          I just told that like an example, yes is an extreme position, but probably for a quad girl or a short boy could work with a behinged cog.

Just different thoughts about ergo seat, but imo a ergo seat for chairs with much dump is better.
                          Something is sure, is not going to be damaging.

Originally posted by GL View Post
                          Hi toto I agree with you

BTW how is the weather ?

Have a good Sunday

Sincerely ;
                          GL
                          The weather excellent, special for do rides with the handbike through the beach road.
                          Last edited by totoL1; 06-03-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
                            Not currently, but I'll take some to post - it may be a few days yet, though.
                            Chas
                            TiLite TR3
                            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                            <
                            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
                              my home-made ergo seat:

More pics:
                              Attached Files
                              Chas
                              TiLite TR3

<
                              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                              X