Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mountain Bike/ knobby tires and camber.......

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Mountain Bike/ knobby tires and camber.......

    what is the suggested camber when using off road tires on your wheelchair. any recommendations, i was thinking maybe zero degrees camber???

    #2
    Never noticed anything running 2" wide knobbies with 2-degree camber.. depending on the width of the chair you may want to go 0-degree just to help keep the chair thinner. (you know, for downhill racing through trees)

    Comment


      #3
      Like T says. If using any camber, you'll have to have to space the wheels out further to compensate for the wider tires. You'll probably have to space them out a bit due to the wider tires anyway. The knobby ture really tore up my hands and was more difficult to push.

      Comment


        #4
        I've never changed my camber for knobbies, but I could see some benefit in increasing a bit to add lateral stability when off the tarmac and to overcome the slight sluggishness when turning due to the larger contact patch.

        I wouldn't go more than 4, personally. 2 is my standard. I wonder if knobbies are really treaded to be used tilted on their sides as well as they are straight up and down.

        What type of tires are you working with? The Maxxis Holy Roller is a great option, not too aggressive with big and round profile for great flotation on looser stuff.
        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

        "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by DaleB View Post
          I've never changed my camber for knobbies, but I could see some benefit in increasing a bit to add lateral stability when off the tarmac and to overcome the slight sluggishness when turning due to the larger contact patch.

          I wouldn't go more than 4, personally. 2 is my standard. I wonder if knobbies are really treaded to be used tilted on their sides as well as they are straight up and down.

          What type of tires are you working with? The Maxxis Holy Roller is a great option, not too aggressive with big and round profile for great flotation on looser stuff.
          yeah i thought zero would be the way to go.
          got new Tundras coming with Maxxis HolyRollers, will order a set of zero camber tubes for the Marvel after i replenish my piggy bank. i think the spare Marvel that is on the way has 2 degree tubes and 5.x 1.5 casters. should make a good outdoor ruff rider.

          Comment


            #6
            Might want to consider going w smaller wheels. I have Invacare Crossfire All Terrain w 25-540 wheels and BIG all terrain tires. I feel like these monsters come up too high for a good push. I have 0 degree camber and the size of tire and lack of camber render the pushrims useless, I can hardly get my hands on them. At the very least I would consider 2 or 4 degree camber, adequate spacing but I would also try smaller wheels due to very high profile of tires.

            Comment


              #7
              I've used 2º or 3º w/ every chair. Anything more seems to make me too wide for 28" doorways. Anything less feels a little less stable.

              Where are you getting new Marvel stuff?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                Might want to consider going w smaller wheels. I have Invacare Crossfire All Terrain w 25-540 wheels and BIG all terrain tires. I feel like these monsters come up too high for a good push. I have 0 degree camber and the size of tire and lack of camber render the pushrims useless, I can hardly get my hands on them. At the very least I would consider 2 or 4 degree camber, adequate spacing but I would also try smaller wheels due to very high profile of tires.
                the Tundra wheels are smaller than 24s.

                they interchange w/ 25s & everyday tires nicely.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                  I've used 2º or 3º w/ every chair. Anything more seems to make me too wide for 28" doorways. Anything less feels a little less stable.

                  Where are you getting new Marvel stuff?
                  from Marvel, grabbing them while i still can.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by ancientgimp View Post
                    Might want to consider going w smaller wheels. I have Invacare Crossfire All Terrain w 25-540 wheels and BIG all terrain tires. I feel like these monsters come up too high for a good push. I have 0 degree camber and the size of tire and lack of camber render the pushrims useless, I can hardly get my hands on them. At the very least I would consider 2 or 4 degree camber, adequate spacing but I would also try smaller wheels due to very high profile of tires.
                    i hear that, i can & do sit real high in my Marvel and i push 25 inchers. im actually 4' 11" sitting in my chair, lol

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X