Yea, New Chair Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea, New Chair Pics

My daughter's new chair came in and she loves it so far. Thanks to everyone that contributed valuable info. In the end she went with the ZRA because she like how the demo felt. I kind of think it was also the cool tatooing and lime green accents...hey she is a teen. I'm holding back on the pink spoke Spinergys for now. Her current wheels are kind of, eh, though so we could be getting new ones sooner rather than later. She also has us take out the arm rest/guard about half the time.

Tuesday we will get this adjusted again. (One more freebie from the vendor.) I've been reading past threads and watching youtube videos on seating position and adjusting like crazy. Tuesday I think we are adding more dump, the tires a bit more forward and adjusting the footplate.

Here's a few pics for ya:

congrats, sweet ride.new chairs bring the happiest days. yep, let her pimp her ride........looks the the foot plate could use an adjustment so her heels are pointing more towards the ground instead of her toes.....good luck with it and enjoy!!!!

Comment

I saw a set of pink spoked wheels on Ebay but they are 25's

Comment

yah.. very nice. We are still waiting hopefully thursday so a couple days yet. I will try to post too.

Comment

Get her those pink wheels ! Lol
          www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

Nice ride!!
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

love it, Robbie demo'd this same chair! we are still shopping....

Comment

Congrats on the new chair. BobMach is right, new chair days are the best. I like the tattooing and the color on the caster forks. I am concerned about her seating. There doesn't seem to be any space behind her knees. I think the footrest isn't high enough for her. I'm no OT, just a user. Getting everything set up just right makes all the difference. It usually takes a me a week to tweak everything just right. I played with the COG on my TR for a few months when it was new. Then I found my sweet spot. It was so different from my previous chair I needed to try some new numbers.

Congrats again :-)

Comment

I may have commented on this before, and I apologize in advance if I am repeating myself.

From all I have read and remember from rehab the proper angle for the knees is a more open angle than the one pictured here. An open angle would be 90° or slightly more. You daughter knees are in a closed position, less than 90°. The knee angle may have a lot to do with the position of the footrest as suggested by "BobMach."

To my eye she doesn't appear relaxed in the chair with the lower legs tucked under her. I think that when your knees are forced into this slightly less than natural position, it may put unwanted stress on the knees and added pressure on the thighs. She may also have more difficulty with her knees splaying in this position, which she may not like when/if she wears a skirt.

This may explain it better than I have:
                  Lower Extremity
                  The ideal posture for the lower body involves both the legs and feet. Feet need to be flat on foot supports in a neutral position with ankles at 90 degrees. Foot supports need to be at least two inches from the floor. The thighs need to be parallel to the wheelchair seat with knees bent just over 90 degrees, with one to two inches of space between the back of the knee and the front of the seat. Foot and leg positioning directly affects the position of the pelvis. Improper footrest leg height increases pressures on other body areas.

Reference: http://www.completerehabsolutions.co...chair-seating/

All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

If you're going to upgrade wheels anyway, you can paint the spokes on the current ones to jazz them up a bit. I did that with mine, I put pictures in a thread here if you're interested. Though the pictures don't show how good it looks in person, the spokes are so skinny that it looks much better in person than in photos. And I haven't really had an issue with the paint chipping off them yet either.

I love the lime green!

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                    I am concerned about her seating. There doesn't seem to be any space behind her knees.
                    I thought so as well, I thought the cushion was too long. Can it be moved back at all? It might need a bit cut off the front.

I also thought her knees were quite tight but I think I've seen others with the same angle that like their legs tucked that way. I do think the foot rest might be a bit too long, and if it could be brought up higher and then angled so her heels aren't up she might be more comfortable. I'm no expert on seating though, just saying what my intuition thinks as far as comfort.
                    Last edited by ~Lin; 05-22-2012, 07:28 PM.
                    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Sweet! I like the lime green accents, and hot pink would go well with it! It's a girl thing!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I have a nice little list going of adjustments to make. I SO appreciate the input. She was able to really use it a lot the other night when we met her sister (back from a great school trip to Cuba) at the airport. She did well on the perfect surfaces but the parking lot, sidewalk and other rough surfaces were tough and I had to help out. She woke up with sore shoulders. She is starting to use resistance bands to squeeze all we can out of her muscles.

We'll get her dialed in yet!

Comment

Excellent news! Isn't it great we have CC for help with things like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Domosoyo View Post
                            My daughter's new chair came in and she loves it so far. Thanks to everyone that contributed valuable info. In the end she went with the ZRA because she like how the demo felt. I kind of think it was also the cool tatooing and lime green accents...hey she is a teen. I'm holding back on the pink spoke Spinergys for now. Her current wheels are kind of, eh, though so we could be getting new ones sooner rather than later. She also has us take out the arm rest/guard about half the time.

Tuesday we will get this adjusted again. (One more freebie from the vendor.) I've been reading past threads and watching youtube videos on seating position and adjusting like crazy. Tuesday I think we are adding more dump, the tires a bit more forward and adjusting the footplate.

Here's a few pics for ya:
                            [ATTACH]44958[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]44959[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]44960[/ATTACH]
                            Seems like not fitting her very well.
                            Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
                              Seems like not fitting her very well.
                              Somewhat true, but not very helpful. Nothing that can't be fixed. That's what's nice about a TiLite ZRa - most everything is adjustable.

From the pictures it seems they angled the footrest like that in an effort to bring her legs up but it's just not enough. I would get some footplate extensions installed (see item #10 in link) - http://estore.tilite.com/ecommerce/P...-08/2-19.3.pdf

They don't need to be ordered from TiLite, they are just some lengths of pipe, called "stand-offs" by tradespeople. Should be able to find some at the hardware store with some bolts long enough (they are counter-sunk head to keep them flush with the footplate) I'm thinking 3" should do it. After installing them get that footplate angled back the other way to keep her heels down, this will help keep her feet on the footplate over bumpy terrain.

I've seen people duct-tape a block of wood on top of the footplate for the same effect, but that would destroy the looks of that chair...

Another thing I see is that her cushion is right against the back of her knees. Is there anyway to shove it as far back into the backrest so there is 1-2 inches clearance between the back of her knees and the front of cushion?

Otherwise looks ok. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X