Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input on a new ultra lightweight wheelchair (hemi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats! What a creative way to ship - hope you retrieve it with no hassle.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Ellyn & husband, congratulations and best of luck with the new chair! I hope it opens up a whole new world of opportunities for both of you.

Your shipping method reminds me of how rescue dogs are sometimes caravaned across the continent to their new homes. Very resourceful.

Comment

Thanks for your support guys. Unfortunately, I am also reminded of some curtains I bought from JC Pennys, and they took a detour through about 6 airports in the US and Europe. We have not made any vacation plans, so we could probably manage to chase it around as long as it gets over the pond.
        Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Hi Elarson,

I didn't had the time yet to read the whole conversation, but since I'm Dutch i want to respond now. Maybe I can help you to find your way into the weird web of rules here. I very familiar with the system, and it is definitely possible to get an ultra lightweight wheelchair (like TiLite). It is also possible to get a budget (PGB) and purchase a wheelchair yourself (although you have to purchase it in the Netherlands). I know local authorities (that pay for you wheelchair in the Netherlands) can be a pain in the ass, and they try to decline everything, but legally they can't! If you don't use the Permobil, give it back. If you don't have a power wheelchair you can get emotions (or similarities) as well. But even with a power wheelchair, it is normal to have a high end manual wheelchair as well. I have a high end power and manual wheelchair, and I'm not an exception.

Good luck! I know it a jungle of rules here, but if you have the map, Holland isn't that bad. PM/mail me if you want my help.

BTW: in which area are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Saskia View Post
            It is also possible to get a budget (PGB) and purchase a wheelchair yourself (although you have to purchase it in the Netherlands)...

BTW: in which area are you?
            Hi Saskia, I was very afraid that they would make us purchase it here -- about 75% more -- ugh! We have been 2 years "in natura" and are trying to change that to a budget (PGB). We are in West-friesland. I'll send you a PM. Thank you so much for responding.
            Last edited by elarson; 22 Jun 2012, 7:06 AM.
            Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Comment

Got the new/used TiLite 2GX

We are thrilled that we got the new/used TiLite 2GX wheelchair today. If you want to follow it's journey, see http://www.pitlarson.com/the-travell...lchair-updated.

We are most grateful to this forum and the help of others, without which, this would not have been possible!

Comment

Congrats!! what a journey . . .
                Chas
                TiLite TR3
                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                <
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

My husband is getting use to the new wheelchair. As we had pretty much expected, it is a bit too low for him. It works when he is doing foot propulsion, but could be higher, especially when using the foot rests.

I'm trying to get a feeling for what further adjustments might be possible to raise the front/rear seat height and possibly extend the caster forks (maybe frog legs). I've never worked with center of gravity, and wonder if there are any tips for taking this chair to it's maximum on height, and what might need adjusting for the camber mount clamps, etc.

Here is a link with pictures of the chair. At the bottom are measurements and the specs of the chair
                  http://www.pitlarson.com/other-stuff...ent/tilite-2gx.

I asked TiLite if they can send a CAD drawing, but apparently that is not possible with the 2GX.

Many thanks for any input.

P.S. I have been reading the owners manual, so more looking for general tips than specific how-to-do information.
                  Last edited by elarson; 27 Jun 2012, 5:33 PM. Reason: Added P.S. at bottom.

Comment

Your best bet will be the owner's manual, rather than a CAD drawing. Here's a link: http://www.tilite.com/assets/pdf/fol...ers_manual.pdf

COG is best experimented with, rather than calculated. If you find it difficult to tip the chair back in order to go over thresholds and small steps, then move the axle a LITTLE bit more forward and try again. If the chair spontaneously tips backwards, you've gone too far forward with the axle.

Comment

To raise the height I believe you have the following options. Raising the rsh/decreasing "dump." Bigger rear wheels (25 or 26 if there are 24s on there now.) Taller casters. I'm not sure how much changing forks would help, and I wonder if trying to use frog legs to increase height might throw things (balance?) off. I have little to know knowledge on frog legs though.
                      Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Thanks @Katja. I've been reading the owners manual extensively, and don't plan to do anything until I know all the options.

I'm still in the beginner phase, which is part of the reason we bought a previously owned chair before making final decisions on a new chair. Because we don't have a lot of nearby resources for adjustments, I want to learn as much as possible, but don't want to go too far if it is something we really need to bring in an expert for, or if it costs a lot of money. I use to do extensive bicycle touring, so I'm quite comfortable overall with the concepts and tinkering.

We would like to gain 1-1.5" in seat height (front/rear). Everything else on the chair is sized well for him. I guess I'm wondering how far we can push on the seat height. It already has a 3.5" cushion, so adding to that is not really an option.

For the font fork/caster, I think the axle is already at the lowest hole on the the fork stem (see picture of casters). I read in the manual that there are fork stem extensions -- would this be a realistic option for a 2GX to be raised 1-1.5? I couldn't find them on the TiLite parts store.

On his new chair we will want to get Frog Legs suspension forks, and we could consider them for this chair if it will also give some extra height -- I've read they are about 1/2" higher, but I wonder about the cost/benefit if there are cheaper options. His current wheels are 4", so maybe 5" would also help with the height.

For the rear seat height, it looks to me like we have a lot of room to bring it up higher (see picture of camber assembly). Am I correct in thinking that we could raise it 1-1.5" without any problem?

Comment

Originally posted by elarson View Post
                          For the font fork/caster, I think the axle is already at the lowest hole on the the fork stem (see picture of casters). I read in the manual that there are fork stem extensions -- would this be a realistic option for a 2GX to be raised 1-1.5? I couldn't find them on the TiLite parts store.
                          You could easily raise the FSH by 1/2" or 1" with extensions, and gain another 1/2" going from 4" to 5" casters. Here are the extensions:

I got TiLite extensions and 5" FL casters through Sportaid for my AeroZ, and they work great.
                          Last edited by chasmengr; 27 Jun 2012, 8:26 PM.
                          Chas
                          TiLite TR3

<
                          UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

You are a star @chasmengr. I had read some of your posts about this, but wanted to make sure I was realistic in doing that with a 2GX. I don't see a lot about the 2GX on CareCure, and just don't know how far I can push things. I'm hoping we can wait to invest in FL casters until we have Rob's permanent everyday wheelchair, and would prefer to just do core modifications to make the 2GX work.

Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Hi Chas,

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                              You could easily raise the FSH by 1/2" or 1" with extensions, and gain another 1/2" going from 4" to 5" casters. Here are the extensions:
                              So does this mean that the only part I need to buy is the extension is Stock Code: CP100347? Can TiLite parts only be bought through dealers? I don't see that Sportaid has parts, or am I mistaken?

I got TiLite extensions and 5" FL casters through Sportaid for my AeroZ, and they work great.
                              Are those the 5" x 1.4" Frog Leg Epic Soft Roll Wheelchair Casters, Aluminum Hub Orange anodized in your picture?

Okay, I know this is not so important, but what do you think of the match up with FL Green anodized and Spinergy Go Green spokes?

Last edited by elarson; 28 Jun 2012, 3:55 PM.

Comment

Sportaid can get you parts given part number & chair serial number (maybe even without chair serial number - ask them).

Comment

Working...
                                X