Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ActiveAid Bath bench

My activeaid bath bench arrived.

Looking forward to taking a shower for once.

It was a special order because of no cut out in the seat!
    Really wish activeaid would put pictures of this on their website sure would make it easier when trying to order this through insurance.
    I can't be the only one!!

http://activeaid.com/

looks nice!

Comment

Why didn't you want a cut out or slats? When you use a bench in a bathing situation, at the very least, most benches are made up of slats, if not a cut out to allow for drainage around the perianal area. See example in photo below.

All the best,
      GJ

Comment

I have the same one, with cut-out... I really like the cut-out for getting everything washed off.

Comment

Wow. That is a nice one.

The upside is that it is much better for your skin not to have the hole there. Our PT/OT discouraged us from buying the one with the hole for that reason.

Comment

HLH

Make sure that the suction cups are rigidly attached to the adjustable legs. My son has a six year old Activeaid Model 277 shower bench and he was seriously injured last week while he was transferring to the shower bench and the suction cups came off. On his bench the suction cups are removable and are only held onto the adjustable leg by a friction washer inside the leg. I called Activeaid yesterday and was told that the suction cups on the new benches are attached to the adjustable leg with a nut and bolt.

I'm very upset about the injury that my son sustained while using this defective product. I believe that Activeaid knew about the design flaw in their older shower benches but decided not to notify their customers about the potential danger.

It sounds like they did an actuarial analysis and determined that it was cheaper to let customers suffer injuries using their product than to recall the defective products. Activeaid could have warned us about this potential problem, all of the benches are serial numbered, but they didn't. Instead they quietly redesigned the suction cup connection and continued selling shower benches without any regard to customers who unknowingly purchased their defective shower benches.

The conclusion I've come to is that Activeaid does not take the responsibility to provide safe products to their customers seriously. They're in this business to make money and let the customer beware.

Roger
            Last edited by Roger; 06-26-2012, 02:34 PM.

Comment

yes it is the bomb, best bench i've ever owned, and it's good and thick so u don't bottm out.....and built to hold a very heavy person....so stronge........great bench......

Comment

Does insurance cover this for you? I've been told they aren't covered...obviously makes no sense to me. How would I go about fighting to have it paid by insurance?

Comment

Tarantella

I tried unsuccessfully to have Blue Shield of CA paid for my son's shower bench. The explanation that I was given was that Medicare did not pay for bathroom equipment therefore Blue Shield of CA would not pay for it either.

At the time my that we purchased the shower/commode bench my son was at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta. Shepherd Center has a home equipment purchase program where they'll purchase the equipment and then we reimbursed Shepherd Center. This reduced the price for a stainless steel shower/commode bench from $1800 to $900. Even at $900 I thought the bench was still unbelievably expensive. We purchased the stainless steel bench because I saw several rusty shower benches at Shepherd Center.

Roger

Comment

I am baffled as to why insurance won't cover this. For anyone who has no ability to stand/limited ability to stand, how do they expect that person to shower? Do they consider a shower a convenience? It seems to me that it is completely medically necessary. I am told that my plan covers durable medical equipment that is considered to be medically necessary, but that shower chairs are considered a convenience item. HUH???? It makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                      HLH

Make sure that the suction cups are rigidly attached to the adjustable legs. My son has a six year old Activeaid Model 277 shower bench and he was seriously injured last week while he was transferring to the shower bench and the suction cups came off. On his bench the suction cups are removable and are only held onto the adjustable leg by a friction washer inside the leg. I called Activeaid yesterday and was told that the suction cups on the new benches are attached to the adjustable leg with a nut and bolt.

I'm very upset about the injury that my son sustained while using this defective product. I believe that Activeaid knew about the design flaw in their older shower benches but decided not to notify their customers about the potential danger.

It sounds like they did an actuarial analysis and determined that it was cheaper to let customers suffer injuries using their product than to recall the defective products. Activeaid could have warned us about this potential problem, all of the benches are serial numbered, but they didn't. Instead they quietly redesigned the suction cup connection and continued selling shower benches without any regard to customers who unknowingly purchased their defective shower benches.

The conclusion I've come to is that Activeaid does not take the responsibility to provide safe products to their customers seriously. They're in this business to make money and let the customer beware.

Roger

Roger,

Thank you for this post.

I am so sorry to hear about your son's fall. It is very disappointing to hear that Activeaid was not pro-active when they knew there was a problem. You have every reason to be complaining. I encourage you to write a letter of complaint to the highest level. Sometimes you will be surprised what might happen.

It is one of my great fears that my father will fall in the shower.

He actually has a much cheaper shower bench then the Activeaid one that definitely has removable suction cups and it is not as stable as I would like. My father would never pay as much as you did for this equipment, and it is a constant struggle for us to have safe, quality equipment in the home. So I am always waiting for the next accident. Sad....

I must admit, I have been disappointed by Activeaid as well. Their products are very expensive, but their quality control is not as good as it should be. We have one of their bathroom/shower transport chairs and their elevated toilet seats. Their cushions breakdown in no time. My father is a big guy (6' 1" and over 220lbs) and the seats start cracking within 4 months. We even purchased the extra expensive/thicker seat. When I called them to discuss this, they reminded us of the 3 month or so warrantee on components etc... "too bad". It is very comfortable though. But basically I spend a hour or two every couple months covering the seats (we have two) with a smooth layer of electrical/duct tape and constantly watch for problems/sores etc...

By the way, it is true that Medicare has set the precedent of not covering bathroom equipment, as showering is considered not medically necessary and these sort of items are "comfort" items. Yeah....

We also have BCBS and Medicare. Medicare never paid for anything bathroom related. We were able to get BCBS to pay for the transport chair, but not the shower bench/elevated toilet seat. I am still amazed they paid for the transport chair, and am not sure why.

We also have BCBS insurance that will sometimes cover things when Medicare will not, but it is a fight. You must use the words "medical necessity" a lot. But even with our detailed letters talking about my father's SCI, history of pressure sores, large size, loss of independence without safe bathroom equipment, increased risk of injury (and therefore, higher cost to BCBS!)... BCBS wont budge.

But I never pushed it higher then one level of appeal. I should push for a second appeal, but I am too tired.

Comment

I can't imagine $1800 or even $900 for a shower bench!!! I have been using an aluminum framed, cushioned bench from Invacare for the past four years, and just a few days ago ordered a new one. It is very sturdy, and does not rust (thought the cushion attachment screws do, which was my reason for needing a new one). It is priced about $120. At the prices you quoted it is no wonder Medicare does not cover them.

My bench was bought for me by the VA. The VA will provide a far greater variety of equipment than Medicare. Anyone who has been in the military and received any discharge under honorable conditions can get VA help, and even a VA pension if they are disabled. The disability need not be service connected. Many folks don't know that.

Comment

soo, you wont be able to wash your ass? ...and how is "not" having a hole "better" for your skin? ....if a pt told me that id tell em their crazy....i use this type for 7 yrs now(LINK)..never a skin prob..and 1800 even reduced to 900 is INSANE....$95 BUCKS!!...In 7 yrs, im only on 2nd one..no rust probs...http://kbimedicalsupplies.com/padded...ng-p-2463.html
                          - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Just to let everyone know I agree that $1800 or even $900 is totally nuts for a shower chair. Let me explain the circumstances.

My son was in Atlanta at the Shepherd Center my wife and daughter were with him in Atlanta. I was in Phoenix and received a telephone call that before Brian comes back to Phoenix he needs an Activeaid shower/commode bench. At that point it wasn't a decision, the decision was made, my job was to purchase the shower bench. So that's what I did. My jaw dropped when I saw the price and I found out that Blue Shield of California would not pay for any portion of the $900 cost. If you accept the fact that this is the shower bench that we had to purchase then paying $900 rather than $1800 is the best of a bad situation. I submitted the bill to BS of CA and when they rejected the expense I protested their decision but they still never paid anything.

If anyone knows how I could have done this differently please let me know but you have to accept the fact that I had to buy the Activeaid shower bench. The Activeaid bench is now in Baltimore and we have a much less expensive aluminum framed bench that is kept in Phoenix. Brian hates the aluminum framed bench and wants me to buy a second Activeaid bench for him to use when he's at home in Phoenix.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                              Just to let everyone know I agree that $1800 or even $900 is totally nuts for a shower chair. Let me explain the circumstances.

My son was in Atlanta at the Shepherd Center my wife and daughter were with him in Atlanta. I was in Phoenix and received a telephone call that before Brian comes back to Phoenix he needs an Activeaid shower/commode bench. At that point it wasn't a decision, the decision was made, my job was to purchase the shower bench. So that's what I did. My jaw dropped when I saw the price and I found out that Blue Shield of California would not pay for any portion of the $900 cost. If you accept the fact that this is the shower bench that we had to purchase then paying $900 rather than $1800 is the best of a bad situation. I submitted the bill to BS of CA and when they rejected the expense I protested their decision but they still never paid anything.

If anyone knows how I could have done this differently please let me know but you have to accept the fact that I had to buy the Activeaid shower bench. The Activeaid bench is now in Baltimore and we have a much less expensive aluminum framed bench that is kept in Phoenix. Brian hates the aluminum framed bench and wants me to buy a second Activeaid bench for him to use when he's at home in Phoenix.

Roger

I understand. When you are in rehab, you are totally dependent upon the advice of those who are there when it comes to ordering equipment. Shepherd is the best, so if they told me I needed to buy something, I'd find a way to buy it. That bench must be nice. But as you can tell, the rest of us were pushed towards much cheaper options.

It's also true that once you have had a better piece of equipment, it is very hard to go back to something "cheaper". So I understand why Brian wants another one of the pricey benches.

Comment

Working...
                              X