My caster start flutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My caster start flutter

OK, more than a year now, my caster start flutter, but I don't know which part of my GTi should tighten at the caster housing, need help, thank you. Do I need to remove dust cap to tighten the stem or below the caster fork?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

I have no personal experience with GTi, but to reduce flutter, your forks need to be snug (not free spinning).

I have highlighted the part below I think you need to tighten:
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
      I have no personal experience with GTi, but to reduce flutter, your forks need to be snug (not free spinning).

I have highlighted the part below I think you need to tighten:
      [ATTACH]44882[/ATTACH]
      Yup, I tried to tighten that part, but it is already very tight, my forks still free spinning.

Comment

I don't know then . . . sorry
        Chas
        TiLite TR3
        Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
        I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
        <
        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
          Yup, I tried to tighten that part, but it is already very tight, my forks still free spinning.

adjust angle fork at 90º, but anyway at high speed you will have fluter with the quickie, you can`t slow the forks spinning in the GTI.

Comment

I have a GT, not a GTi, but the forks look mighty similar...at least they did before I swapped them out for Froglegs. Make sure that when the caster is trailing, (meaning rotated to the rear, parallel to the rear wheels), the flat side labeled as the vertical A in the diagram posted by Chas is perpendicular to the ground, perfectly 90deg.

The splines between the fork and caster barrel allow you to adjust this, part #7 in the diagram needs to be loosened, iirc. It's been a while since I've bothered to take this thing apart!

gl

Dale
            "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

Thanks for everybody's info

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                I have a GT, not a GTi, but the forks look mighty similar...at least they did before I swapped them out for Froglegs. Make sure that when the caster is trailing, (meaning rotated to the rear, parallel to the rear wheels), the flat side labeled as the vertical A in the diagram posted by Chas is perpendicular to the ground, perfectly 90deg.

The splines between the fork and caster barrel allow you to adjust this, part #7 in the diagram needs to be loosened, iirc. It's been a while since I've bothered to take this thing apart!

gl

Dale
                I find it easiest to use the orientation of the Allen wrench when it is in part #7 as the reference for perpendicular. It is essentially an extension of the fork stem and ir provides just the right amount of leverage to change the fork angle. A simple turn of the wrench once the fork is aligned re-tightens part #7.

Comment

look at # 14 thats a washer if it's smashed (yes I understand its a lock washer) it will cause play try a new lock washer and a thin washer. I had the same issue and by changing the washers it helped. I hope this helps you out! I don't have my GT anymore thou.
                  you can also put a thin washer under #4.

Comment

When there is flutter, one caster may be carrying less load than the other. Get on a flat surface, sit normally in the chair, and ask someone to rotate (around the vertical axis) each caster by hand. If one is easier to rotate than the other it is carrying less weight, and needs to be adjusted downward (or the other one raised).
                    T4 complete, 150 ft fall, 1966. Completely fused hips, partially fused knees and spine, heterotopic ossification. Unsuccessful DREZ surgery about 1990. Successful bladder augmentation using small intestine about 1992. Normal SCI IC UTI problems culminating in a hospital stay in 2001. No antibiotics or doctor visits for UTI since 2001: d-mannose. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I doubt that your camber has changed on your chair, so you will probably discover that it is already set at 90 degrees. Unless they didn't set it up correctly from the start, and since you did not have problems with flutter originally then I doubt that it the problem. Most likely your caster bearings have just loosened up from wear and the grease that was originally in the bearings is either gone or is losing viscosity. SInce they put aspacer in-between the two bearings when you tighten the bold that someone else said to ry, all you are doing is exerting a force on the inner races. So unless you manage to get the bolt tight enough to somehow distort the inner races of the bearings then it is unlikely to make turning the casters any more difficult. So what is the solution? not sure, maybe you could re-pack the bearings with some heavy grease or new bearings might fix your problem. I'm not really sure where your solution lies. My Quickie had fluttering casters from the first day I got it, my solution was Froglegs...

Comment

Originally posted by nauticalmike View Post
                        I doubt that your camber has changed on your chair, so you will probably discover that it is already set at 90 degrees. Unless they didn't set it up correctly from the start, and since you did not have problems with flutter originally then I doubt that it the problem. Most likely your caster bearings have just loosened up from wear and the grease that was originally in the bearings is either gone or is losing viscosity. SInce they put aspacer in-between the two bearings when you tighten the bold that someone else said to ry, all you are doing is exerting a force on the inner races. So unless you manage to get the bolt tight enough to somehow distort the inner races of the bearings then it is unlikely to make turning the casters any more difficult. So what is the solution? not sure, maybe you could re-pack the bearings with some heavy grease or new bearings might fix your problem. I'm not really sure where your solution lies. My Quickie had fluttering casters from the first day I got it, my solution was Froglegs...
                        Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
                          Thanks for your suggestion.
                          I think I have figured out the reason why my caster flutter.

1. I use the same strength like I push my solid tire, and pneumatic tire don't need that much of strength.

2. Certain floor surface.

3. The psi of tire is too high and not even, I lower down to 120 psi equally, and improve a lot.

Comment

To piggy back on this thread, a friend has a ZRA that he ordered with 4" casters. He switched to 5" casters and had to go to the bottom hole to get them to fit, so he has raised the front 1". He now has flutter, no surprise. Any options for him to fix this, outside of going back to 4" casters?
                            C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
                              To piggy back on this thread, a friend has a ZRA that he ordered with 4" casters. He switched to 5" casters and had to go to the bottom hole to get them to fit, so he has raised the front 1". He now has flutter, no surprise. Any options for him to fix this, outside of going back to 4" casters?
                              Adjust the angle fork at 90º and tight a bit the sping fork.

Comment

Working...
                              X