No announcement yet.

Chair suggestions for a 16 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are working on seeing one very soon....cant thank you enough for your helpful input. can always count on this group!!!

Comment

Have you been looking on the PantheraX? I am not fond of the Panthera but it is very light and nice style and not very expensive. I was in the Norwegian SCI conference two weeks ago and all the young, stylish boys had it. I don't like the back of Panthera but I know it is nice to wheel
      TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
        For demos, and/or for after the third glass of wine.

More "sophisticated" than a helmet.
        Oh Crap Jeff I didn't think about that. I have dumped my chair so many times when I was drinking. LOL. never crossed my mind to put the anti tips on it. lol! oh well guess I'll be getting penalties for that too.

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe View Post
          Have you been looking on the PantheraX?
          not sure that is available in the US, checked out the website though, dealer is in Canada...thanks!

Comment

The PantheraX is extremely light but, in many ways it is the "anti-Icon". No adjustability and limited frame configurations (i.e. it isn't truly custom). Like BobMach, I also wonder about durability with active use.

Comment

Originally posted by SharonD View Post
              not sure that is available in the US, checked out the website though, dealer is in Canada...thanks!
              there is a dealer in NY, Consolidated Medical, Doug Crana. dcrana@consolidated medical.net. http://www.panthera.se/panthera_eng/.../produkter.htm
              i demo'ed his Panthera X at the NY show and he has been helpful helping me find some Marvel parts prices......this is a unique chair, not sure how it would hold up to a 16 year old

Comment

Originally posted by BobMach View Post
                there is a dealer in NY, Consolidated Medical, Doug Crana. dcrana@consolidated medical.net. http://www.panthera.se/panthera_eng/.../produkter.htm
                i demo'ed his Panthera X at the NY show and he has been helpful helping me find some Marvel parts prices......this is a unique chair, not sure how it would hold up to a 16 year old
                I'm curious, what kind of Marvel replacement parts do you need? (Not that I have any.) I would assume that Marvel is on life support at this point trying at most to sell off old inventory. They weren't at the Expo, were they?
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                  I'm curious, what kind of Marvel replacement parts do you need? (Not that I have any.) I would assume that Marvel is on life support at this point trying at most to sell off old inventory. They weren't at the Expo, were they?
                  dunno but not taking any chances. nothings broke, just preparing for doomsday. looking for all and any spares i can get my hands on. did get a parts price list today. no, they were not at the Expo.

Comment

Steep discounts for Marvel trade-ins.

Steeper still if you can show that after receiving the Icon, you donated your old chair to someone who needs one.
                    Last edited by JeffAdams; 05-15-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
                      Steep discounts for Marvel trade-ins.

Steeper still if you can show that after receiving the Icon, you donated it to someone who needs a wheelchair.
                      Sounds like a good deal.
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

already got that one covered jeff. I actualy just gave away 3 chairs that were in my storage.

Comment

We demoed the Icon today, Robbie fell in love with it. It sure feels like its the chair for him.

Extra bonus....we got to meet Scott and his wife, such great people!

Comment

Congrats!!
                            Chas
                            TiLite TR3
                            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                            <
                            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Thats great! And a good choice for a growing boy.
                              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by SharonD View Post
                                Ive heard great things about the FreeWheel and know he needs one
                                I know I'm late to the party, but here's my two cents on the freewheel:

I'm a t4 injured when I was 13. I'm now 31 and workout with 40-70lb dumbells. I can push myself up grassy hills and through some types of sand.

I wouldn't get one for him unless he has limited muscle function in his arms and shoulders or has severely underdeveloped muscles. He needs to build muscle, develop his shoulders, and learn how to navigate all types of terrain without aid. I wouldn't want him to learn to be dependent on any specific device.

I'm not saying the freewheel is a bad product - it looks fantastic - but at that age, he needs to learn what he can do and how to do it all on his own. If, say, he forgets his Freewheel at home one day and his friends decide to go to a park, would you rather he think to himself, "I can't get there without my freewheel so I don't think I'll go" or "No probelm. I've done this before"

That being said, I don't know what Robbie's physical or psychological situation is, so if he really, truly, actually NEEDS one, go right ahead.

Comment

Working...
                                X