Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which handcycle for me?

Which handcycle would you recommend?

I go on crushed stone paths with some steep hills. I don't have the use of my abdominal muscles (T7 complete).

I'm thinking Top End Force, Freedom Ryder FRH-1, Top EndXLT Pro.
    Any others to look at?
    Rich

Also-

Are there tires good for dirt and stones that will work with the Freedom Ryder?
    Rich

Comment

New Force CC it would be much better then the Force on what you are looking at riding on.
      Blog of Me

http://brianemartin.blogspot.com/

Comment

Quickie Shark
        www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

I would not rule out the Varna http://www.bromakin.co.uk/node/64 I know bike-on.com sells these. The Force CC looks nice, but is very expensive. I have a freedom Ryder FRH1, but to be honest I dont think there is clearance to get a very wide tire on the front wheel, you could call Freedom Ryder and ask them about this, it is a definately really a great bike. Reason I suggested the Varna is I use to have a varna speedbike and had great luck with it and they make ones with even wider tires than the Varna II I posted.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

They can put Mt. wheels on a FRH, they use the 559's instead of the 571's. With the ones you mentioned Rich, I would go FRH hands down. The force is wayyy to low for the roads you ride and the Pro is such an old design, it's pathetic they still offer it. The turning on a Pro is horrible in that the legs always lift up as you turn. I've owned at 6 of 'em, loved them when they were the fastest bike out there. Now, new designs have come along. For the height clearance and types of roads I'd look at FRH seriously.

Freedom Ryder only makes handcycles. Top End makes a whole catalog of stuff. Chris Peterson has done wonders with the racing community but has forgotten, imo, we recreational riders. I feel the Top End CC coming out is just a knee jerk reaction to losing a lot of customers.

Top End is Tops for racing; for off road or gravelly tight turns, there are many others more suitable. .

Comment

Have you looked at Intrepid, Mark B had one made for off road and his Power Pod. They are considerably less than the bikes you mentioned. Agree the FRH-1 is a great bike, had mine since 2006.
              Last edited by Craig80; 10 May 2012, 2:54 PM.

Comment

Consider ReActive Adaptations' Nuke, too...

http://www.reactiveadaptations.com/a...oad-handcycle/

Comment

Originally posted by pararich View Post
                  Also-

Are there tires good for dirt and stones that will work with the Freedom Ryder?
                  I rode my Freedom Ryder up this hill, using standard road tires. While they were not ideal, it did show me that you can get alot done with less than you think. Some pretty average intermediate tires would work well....in other words you might not need aggressive off-road tires.

And forgive me pimping my Power Pod......just ignore all that;

Comment

Originally posted by pararich View Post
                    Which handcycle would you recommend?

I go on crushed stone paths with some steep hills. I don't have the use of my abdominal muscles (T7 complete).

I'm thinking Top End Force, Freedom Ryder FRH-1, Top EndXLT Pro.
                    Any others to look at?
                    I have not taken this off-road yet. I wrote a bit of a review of it here.

Cost is about $2k for the basic model and $2.8k for the one I have.

https://www.carecure.net/forum/showt...=184481&page=2

I am having problems with my knees that are limiting my turning circle; but I think others would get better results than me.

Comment

Originally posted by -scott- View Post
                      Consider ReActive Adaptations' Nuke, too...

http://www.reactiveadaptations.com/a...oad-handcycle/

I like this since it looks like my tight knees, who love to come together, would not screw up the steering. And it looks like it would steer pretty sharp too. Very nice bike.....

Comment

Intrepid and Top End Pro both have those issues of the knees needing to lift up on a turn. If a person didn't have a wheel guard, the wheel would rub against the leg while turning, leaving a pretty good abrasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                          Intrepid and Top End Pro both have those issues of the knees needing to lift up on a turn. If a person didn't have a wheel guard, the wheel would rub against the leg while turning, leaving a pretty good abrasion.
                          I'm making some knee guards out of 3/4" plastic tubing, zip tied to the frame. I put it on the lhs and it seems to work, now needs some foam and then replicating on the right. Then I'll see about going off-road. The problem is mainly w my spastic knees though, you can see it in that pic of me above. Perhaps some strapping to control my legs too....?

Comment

I can't see getting much speed out of that Reactive bike. The chainring is so small and that's one heck of a long chain. I'm sure it would be fun offroad. Would hate to try to steer that at 30mph with a powerpod lol.

Comment

[QUOTE=MarkB701;1528422

I am having problems with my knees that are limiting my turning circle; but I think others would get better results than me.

Your feet are really high in the stirrups Mark. If you lowered them down so the balls of your feet hit the sitrrups; might be easier on your knees. Once the feet are down you could try turning the stirrup out a bit to turn the leg out.

Would sure hate to see you hit a bump and have those feet come flying out.

Comment

Working...
                              X