Which handcycle for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Thanks Rich, Is it a 559 rather than a 650c.
    I'm not so "with it" when it comes to tires along with a lot else!

Also it would be nice if they used one standard for designating sizes.
    Wouldn't the European "ETRTO" be the best standard?
    Don't the French have yet another standard?
    Last edited by pararich; 21 Sep 2012, 8:29 PM. Reason: I added a question mark!
    Rich

Comment

I am also thinking about getting into handcycling but I don't know where to begin or what is right for me. I was supposed to attend a few clinics near where I live, but the one I could make got cancelled and now I am so busy with work/kids and moving that I can't make it to any of them. I am hoping to find something near Tampa, Florida. No clue what is a good 'newbie' cycle and I don't want to invest in something so costly without having tried it first. Maybe buy a used one but they are still costly.

Comment

Hi Digee, I read your profile and it says you are a L4. Dang, the best one for you would be the Freedom Ryder Leansteer. Would work your lower core as well as your cardio and balance bigtime.

What type of roads are there where you want to ride? Once you get on one, you'll never want to get off.

Comment

I would be doing just regular streets, parks etc. nothing off road. I am looking for a good and fun cardio and upper body workout and to be able to ride with my kid and/or friends. Btw that is a gorgeous bike. I saw there was a silver one for sale here several months ago at a great price. I am sure that is long gone.
          Last edited by DigeeRN; 23 Sep 2012, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Hey Patrick Madsen, maybe you can tell me whats up with Freedom rider putting one of the shifters off the hand crank, and on to the middle of the bike. I have this old vet, that finally got the VA the buy him a brand new FRH-1, and he likes my setup a lot better. Well I told him that we should just exchange bikes, but he was not going for it, since my bike is about 4 years old. Can't blame a guy for trying. I sure wish I could try the Leansteer, I have enough upper body for it, but wonder if it would get tiring because out here if Oregon the roads have a lot of side slop to them.
            T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Hi Flying, The reason Mike puts them where they are is for accessibility I think and cheaper than the SIS changers located on the forks like they used to be.

The one on the hand crank does the cassette and disc brake. It allows us to change gears without taking the hand off the crank to do so. The one in the middle is for the chainring and reg. brake/parking brake. I don't like that faunky strap they use to secure the brake when transferring.

I just changed my cables yesterday for the first time in four years. Looking at them they were in great condition but since I was changing over to a 559 wheel, thought I would do it. It sure beats the Top End bikes I had with the brake on the handle. Seems I was breaking one every few months.

Along side the FRH another favorite handcycle was the one old XLT with the shifters along side the seat. Never any cable breakage and easy to reach.

Mike does a lot of modifications for the vets. I'm sure he could offer some suggestions or do some changes to make it easier for your buddy. I've done a few myself for others. They can be changed to go anywhere. What bike are you riding?

Comment

I'm riding the FRH-1. I got the bike off of Craigslists for 1400, and it was the first bike I came across used. Since then I realize how lucky I was to get a freedom rider, great bike. The only other bike I have rode, was an older bike that a guy was just unloading in a parking lot. I begged to guy to let me try it out, and he finally said yes. So I rode for about 5 minuets, and just new I had to get one. Have to say its the best thing to happen to me post SCI. Just love getting out for 2 to 3 hour rides, and it helps with the nuro pain as well. Would still like to try a lean steer, I have enough upper body for it, but think that around here, there would be a lot of leaning because to roads have a lot of side slope to them, but maybe that would not be a problem? What do you think?
                T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

With your being a T12/L1 incomplete, you'd have no trouble with a leansteer. In fact you'd probably enjoy it more and would work that lower core bigtime. Turning in the corners feels like you're in a jet cockpit in that you lean into the turns rather than steer thru the turns. So much more fun.

There's a road compensator on the bikes to help with the crown in the road.

Comment

thanks Rich, any idea when that quad friendly freedom rider will be available?
                    C4/C5 complete since 2011-08-13.

Comment

I have an LC-1 and have no problem controlling it even at a T4 level. The steering damper does not and is not meant to compensate for road crown. All it does is allow an easy adjustment of steering stiffness but it will still settle off centre if the crown is significant. It does not self-centre and is the same resistance all the way across the length of the damper so it does nothing to correct for crown. Road crown is the one vey annoying thing asbout the LC-1 and it takes some time to get used to. Mike gave me the tip to offset the leg supposts with the left one low and the right one high to offe=set your weight a bit to compensate which has helped. I think the ability to carve corners makes up for the issues with crown for the most part. The turning radius sucks too but I think thats true of headset steer bikes as well.
                      T4 Complete since 01/01/2012

Comment

Force R

I've got a Force R in nearly brand new condition if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by midtoad View Post
                          thanks Rich, any idea when that quad friendly freedom rider will be available?
                          I'll ask Mike at Freedom Ryder (when I call to get narrower crank arms).
                          Rich

Comment

Working...
                          X