Wheelchair tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheelchair tires

Hello I am needing some information. I have a manual chair with sold inserts but am needing new tires but I'm wanting inflatable ones. My question is can I purchase the tubes and tires and put them on the wheels I have?

yup. sure can.

Comment

Cool thanks.

Comment

I switched from inflatable to the ones with solid inserts and love them. Just remember if you have tubes in your tires you can get a flat at the most inconvienent times.

Comment

But I've heard positive things about inflatable ones. More comfortable and easier to push yourself

Comment

IMHO, if you can change a flat yourself, pneumatics are a no-brainer.

The most common unexpected causes of flats are cheap rim tape and under/over inflation. Install a high quality rim tape, then maintain your pressure at least weekly using a gauge. Also use good tubes - one with a metal stem. And wrap the stem with electrical tape before installing it, or install a grommet into each rim's valve hole.

See this thread.
            Last edited by chasmengr; 6 May 2012, 2:13 AM.
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
              IMHO, if you can change a flat yourself, pneumatics are a no-brainer.

The most common unexpected causes of flats are cheap rim tape and under/over inflation. Install a high quality rim tape, then maintain your pressure at least weekly. Also use good tubes - one with a metal stem. And wrap the stem with electrical tape before installing it, or install a grommet into each rim's valve hole.

See this thread.
              If I want to install new hand rim, do I need to remove the rim tape and replace it with new rim tape as well? Can the rim tape be reuse?
              Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Changing tab-mounted handrims does require removal of the rim tape. Most rim tape can be reused (it's not adhesive). I have reused mine. But I'm no rim-tape expert; have some on hand in case yours is different than mine.
                Chas
                TiLite TR3
                Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                <
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

A good rim tape and a tire like Marathons would make really really difficult to have a flat, and your ride will be much better than with solids.

Comment

Originally posted by sowseng View Post
                    If I want to install new hand rim, do I need to remove the rim tape and replace it with new rim tape as well? Can the rim tape be reuse?
                    Almost always can be reused.

Comment

Working...
                    X