Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Icon Wheelchairs - NY Metro Abilities Show

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Icon Wheelchairs - NY Metro Abilities Show

    We'll have a booth at the New York Metro show for anyone who wants to come check out the Icon.

    I'll have a couple of wide front wings there to demo as well.

    #2
    What else do you have to show off?
    Hi there, I'm only 20 years old but I'm creating my own disabled driving organization - it's growing rapidly everyday and currently features hundreds of pages of useful content you can't find elsewhere.

    Visit my hand controls website for more information.

    Or you can visit my website's blog where I outline what's happening and my plans for the future.

    You can also see my story here.

    Comment


      #3
      BobMach will be appearing on Sat, 1 show only.

      Comment


        #4
        Wish I could be there. Good luck guys. Hope you aren't right next to the strippers at the Colours booth again.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by grommet View Post
          Wish I could be there. Good luck guys. Hope you aren't right next to the strippers at the Colours booth again.
          Only if they can afford it.
          stephen@bike-on.com

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by grommet View Post
            Wish I could be there. Good luck guys. Hope you aren't right next to the strippers at the Colours booth again.
            strippers?!?!?! maybe ill do 2 shows

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by BobMach View Post
              strippers?!?!?! maybe ill do 2 shows
              Maybe you'll enjoy seeing the Colours girls but they reminded me of servers at a Hooters restaurant or strippers. I was grossed out and to me it also took away from the seriousness of the product. Good products stand on their own, in my opinion. Maybe Colours is trying to add some fun but I was disturbed. Also, what about female Colours customers, are they going to provide male models, are those female customers going feel pretty bad being around those women?

              I know I'm sounding a bit serious but that was my reaction when I got there. The other companies were all respectable, just chairs to show and Icon pretty much only had their chairs there and I thought by far they had the best product. Fun is fun but when I see a lot of flash with a product I start to wonder if the company thinks the product isn't good enough to sell itself.

              Comment


                #8
                same thing happened here in L.A you could not get close enough to See the product ,like you said there is time and place to min go,but we are there to see the product

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just picked up my icon today

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by arod636 View Post
                    Just picked up my icon today
                    Congrats!
                    stephen@bike-on.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by arod636 View Post
                      Just picked up my icon today
                      Congratulations!!! ... and I am extremely envious. I bet you're playing with all the adjustments now. I can't wait. Argh, time goes so slow.

                      Very happy for you. Please post what you can, any tips and tricks, things you learn about the chair.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by arod636 View Post
                        Just picked up my icon today
                        I seriously need to get fund raising or else it'll be September 2013 not 2012 before I get one.

                        Congrats

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ipenguin View Post
                          I seriously need to get fund raising or else it'll be September 2013 not 2012 before I get one.

                          Congrats
                          When I saw the Icon at the San Jose Abilities Expo last October, I knew it was my next chair. I had no idea how I would pay for it and in fact knew I couldn't pay for it. It was a stupid thought that I could. But I knew I was going to get the chair. I agonized for months trying to figure it out and did figure out a way to make it happen. It's the most money I've ever spent on anything but I think when I've finally got it paid off, I won't remember the money a bit and I'll only be very happy for all the time I had my Icon.

                          I don't know if the Icon will be right for you and you definitely should not decide to buy any chair without trying it in person. If you do decide it's what you want, find a way. When I demo'd the chair last week I tried it with the ADI carbon fiber back and it was so good I knew I was getting that too. I don't spend money frivelously or just for fun. I don't have leather jackets or cool watches or a flat screen TV. I live pretty simple and never wanted much. These aren't casual decisions I'm making about my Icon and even getting the expensive ADI back. I know they're right for me and when I feel that way my decisions are easy to make.

                          There are two things I keep thinking about, how the Icon went over the threshhold at my door - it didn't hurt. That GD thing hurts me everyday, everytime and when I do laundry it's 6 or 8 times I have to go over that bump. Ouch everytime. I hate it. The Icon said, what bump? Reason number one I am super happy about getting it. Reason two is the way I was supported by the ADI back. I didn't know I could feel that way in a chair.

                          There's a long (2 mile) push I go on to get to my sailing club and I want to try changing the camber to make the pushing easier, then straighten up when I arrive. There are lots of places I go where getting into the bathroom is a matter of inches and I want to try bringing the front end in quickly so I can get in and out. I want to try bringing the wheel spacing and make the chair really narrow with zero camber and see about going through small spaces and also see what different wheel spacing does to my pushing form. Aside from all the adjustments, forgetting all that, the chair is just really really well made. It's solid as hell and light and responsive. If you got it and didn't make a change after you set it up I think it would still be head and shoulders above some other chairs.

                          Bought my Tilite TR out of pocket and it was a great decision. I love that chair. Moving up to an Icon now and I can't wait. :-)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by grommet View Post
                            When I saw the Icon at the San Jose Abilities Expo last October, I knew it was my next chair. I had no idea how I would pay for it and in fact knew I couldn't pay for it. It was a stupid thought that I could. But I knew I was going to get the chair. I agonized for months trying to figure it out and did figure out a way to make it happen. It's the most money I've ever spent on anything but I think when I've finally got it paid off, I won't remember the money a bit and I'll only be very happy for all the time I had my Icon.

                            I don't know if the Icon will be right for you and you definitely should not decide to buy any chair without trying it in person. If you do decide it's what you want, find a way. When I demo'd the chair last week I tried it with the ADI carbon fiber back and it was so good I knew I was getting that too. I don't spend money frivelously or just for fun. I don't have leather jackets or cool watches or a flat screen TV. I live pretty simple and never wanted much. These aren't casual decisions I'm making about my Icon and even getting the expensive ADI back. I know they're right for me and when I feel that way my decisions are easy to make.

                            There are two things I keep thinking about, how the Icon went over the threshhold at my door - it didn't hurt. That GD thing hurts me everyday, everytime and when I do laundry it's 6 or 8 times I have to go over that bump. Ouch everytime. I hate it. The Icon said, what bump? Reason number one I am super happy about getting it. Reason two is the way I was supported by the ADI back. I didn't know I could feel that way in a chair.

                            There's a long (2 mile) push I go on to get to my sailing club and I want to try changing the camber to make the pushing easier, then straighten up when I arrive. There are lots of places I go where getting into the bathroom is a matter of inches and I want to try bringing the front end in quickly so I can get in and out. I want to try bringing the wheel spacing and make the chair really narrow with zero camber and see about going through small spaces and also see what different wheel spacing does to my pushing form. Aside from all the adjustments, forgetting all that, the chair is just really really well made. It's solid as hell and light and responsive. If you got it and didn't make a change after you set it up I think it would still be head and shoulders above some other chairs.

                            Bought my Tilite TR out of pocket and it was a great decision. I love that chair. Moving up to an Icon now and I can't wait. :-)
                            That's the thing that struck me most about the Icon, the build quality (from what people have said anyway). Also, while I really like tilites I've had so many issues keeping my legs on the footrest because of the muscle tightness in my quads, I really need a chair that I adjust in that area in particular. Seeing as the front in most chair is pretty much locked according to the frame angle, it always takes a lot of assessment and even then, it's a risk.

                            Combine that with the fact that buying from across the Atlantic means that the Icon is no more expensive than standard lightweight chairs in the UK (Quickie GT for example) this also makes it a good bet. I would hate to order a tilite from the states and get the frame angle wrong. The Icon takes away that fear.

                            I'll be in the states in september and am talking to Jeff to try and arrange a demo and if that goes well, I'll be looking to order by about october/november.

                            Thank you for the great advice

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ipenguin View Post
                              That's the thing that struck me most about the Icon, the build quality (from what people have said anyway). Also, while I really like tilites I've had so many issues keeping my legs on the footrest because of the muscle tightness in my quads, I really need a chair that I adjust in that area in particular. Seeing as the front in most chair is pretty much locked according to the frame angle, it always takes a lot of assessment and even then, it's a risk.
                              A friend who uses a ZRA uses some light bungee cords rigged to his footplate, which he places over his feet to keep them in place. Not sure exactly what he's using, but he's never mentioned any skin issues resulting from this.
                              stephen@bike-on.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X