Transition from Manual to Powerchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swannyriver View Post
    Thanks. The STF looks higher in the pics.
    Swannyriver,

Yes, I agree the STF does look higher in the pictures. I realize that when I took this picture that I was sort of down and looking up at an angle so it didnt give a very good angle. Also noticed chair was backed up & front are casters swung around to the front making the chair look longer than it actually is in everyday use. With the casters in the normal position, the chair has a pretty small footprint!
    Best,
    Engineermom2

Comment

Quickie is good at working with you beyond the specs available on the order form. I have a 15" wide chair with a 90 degree front end tapered down to 11" (I almost went w/ 10" if I can remember right). My midwheel is a little longer than the rearwheels but has a smaller turning radius. When you figure in that the rearwheel is slightly shorter but has a bigger turning radius they come out pretty much the same(excluding driving in certain terrain etc). If you want more info on turning radius in inches or other specs, just ask and I'll try to look them up.
      Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Do you need that much room for the casters? I actually wondered if the chair could be shortened up since the footrest was so far in front. But I don't know how the tilt mechanisms factor in to that, I was just thinking about the threads where SCI_OTR moves the chair back on the base for it to be as short as possible. And I'm not getting a powerchair any time soon so its more curiosity sake!
        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
          Do you need that much room for the casters? I actually wondered if the chair could be shortened up since the footrest was so far in front. But I don't know how the tilt mechanisms factor in to that, I was just thinking about the threads where SCI_OTR moves the chair back on the base for it to be as short as possible. And I'm not getting a powerchair any time soon so its more curiosity sake!
          Forgive me, I should clarify. I live in a really narrow 50's ranch. I have 90 degree turns off off narrow hallways that my chair wont make unless it is short enough. Same thing to get outside! So to keep the diagonal measurement of the chair short, four things were done: pick of this chair itself as it is short enough to begin with, tapered in towards the center foot hangers & at 75 degrees to bring the front end in even closer to the wheelchair base, have the cg of the base set up short, and lastly the foot plate depth is adjustable and they are also set as far back towards the wheelchair base as possible to be able to make those tight 90 degree turns off my hallways without scraping right into the wall!

The casters need room to swing because the front end is pulled in so tight. Had to do this on my last chair 15 years ago as well for the same reason. Will try to take another picture with the casters in the normal postion so you can see how tight this really is. Hope this description helps!!
          Best,
          Engineermom2

Comment

P.S. I have 9X3's on the front due to my wet yard and winter snow. These are the larger of the two sizes they offer so I was trying to keep the front end tight AND keep the front casters large! The tilt mechanism is not set up ridiculously forward so the front foot hangers therefore do not jut way out from the seat pan. I think that is what you meant...Anyways I hope this helps. I know a picture is worth a thousand explanations!
            EM2

Comment

Below are pics of my P222 next to other chairs so you have a comparison view - the top is next to another powerchair and the bottom 2 are manuals.

My chair is pretty compact, but it's important to note that size and dimensions are going to vary on everyone, no matter the type of chair. Mine is 15wx16d, fixed 8" wide footrest, with the only change since those pics being the armrests which are much smaller now (pediatric sized T-arm) than shown. If interested in other spec info and details, please use search function (eg. "Quickie P222", under 'chick'), as I've posted extensively re my chair and its details on the many threads we've had discussing this chair.

Comment

Working on a hybrid chair now. I'm sick of everyone having to choose between a manual and power chair. The original iGlide/Tailwind patent has about 2.5 more years left so can't produce anything until then. Whenever the lawyer gives the ok I will post the rendering here for feedback.
                Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
                Pete C6/'97

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                  I have one of the prototypes of the ZX-1. It's a good tradeoff in that I can use it when I need the power, get there, disconnect and be in my manual.
                  I don't know where I have been but I just saw the ZX-1 video yesterday. This thing looks great! There are times power assist would be great but I don't want a power chair nor reinvent mine to do so.
                  C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

Working...
                  X