free wheel attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• free wheel attachment

im ordering a new chair should i get a wider footplate i want to get the free wheel to and want to make sure of the width of the plate is ok for the freewheel like how wide is the part that attaches to the footplate
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

My ZR 10.5" footplate is kinda tight and my AeroZ 11" footplate is just right.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Comment

Doesn't the right footrest width depend on your shoe width?

Ask Pat:
      Last edited by chasmengr; 04-14-2012, 02:10 PM.
      Chas
      TiLite TR3
      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
      <
      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
        im ordering a new chair should i get a wider footplate i want to get the free wheel to and want to make sure of the width of the plate is ok for the freewheel like how wide is the part that attaches to the footplate
        put on the biggest(widest) shoes you wear and add a couple of inches. I have a 14" wide ZR with no taper and that's about perfect for the freewheel and my snow boots. The footplate measures 11" between the bends. I wear a size 9 shoe.
        Last edited by jschism; 04-14-2012, 02:24 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
          put on the biggest(widest) shoes you wear and add a couple of inches. I have a 14" wide ZR with no taper and that's about perfect for the freewheel and my snow boots.

you mean the plate is 14 inches wide or the tubes on your chair are 14 and by no taper do you mean you have a v front

Comment

you mean the plate is 14 inches wide or the tubes on your chair are 14 and by no taper do you mean you have a v front
            the chair is a 14" wide seat, measured to outside of tubes. I have "no taper" the down tubes in front are same width as the seat, no "V", no taper at all. The footplate is 11" measured between the bends.

Comment

The Freewheel attachment piece takes up right about 3/4", between your feet.

I would never add inches, personally. I spec mine exactly the width of my favorite shoes. Really helps me control the chair from the hips when my feet can't slide around.

9.5" at the end of the down tubes is perfect for me. 10.5", with a Freewheel.
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Josh Anderson and I debated this at ISS last year. I've been adding 1" on a V front end.

Comment

that's my problem with the freewheel,
                  I have a CUSTOM FOOTPLATE that is large (I like them that way so my feet don't slip around, they tend to hate staying in one place) and it seems I have to go to the stock plate? who uses the stock plate? how do you keep your feet from moving around and keep the heels touching the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by diaspora View Post
                    I have a CUSTOM FOOTPLATE that is large (I like them that way so my feet don't slip around, they tend to hate staying in one place) and it seems I have to go to the stock plate? who uses the stock plate? how do you keep your feet from moving around and keep the heels touching the plate.

Or, Pat may make up a custom hitch for you. Email him, he's a good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by diaspora View Post
                      What type of chair. Manufacturer's have different footrest depths. I have a custom footplate and the FreeWheel will fit on my chair...

(Note--I do not own a FreeWheel, nor do I have any stake in promoting it)

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                        Josh Anderson and I debated this at ISS last year. I've been adding 1" on a V front end.

should i add a inch to the footplate if its a tapered front

Comment

I would. When I wear boots in the winter it's good to go.

Pat

Comment

should i add a inch to the footplate if its a tapered front
                            If you're normal measurement is just enough room, then YES, definitely! If you've already got ~3/4" to work with...I don't recommend adding any, personally.

An extra inch would annoy me, day in and day out, more than a nice snug fit while I'm off the tarmac, with the Freehwheel styling, out front. It kind of makes sense...if you think about it...too much...

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                              If you're normal measurement is just enough room, then YES, definitely! If you've already got ~3/4" to work with...I don't recommend adding any, personally.

An extra inch would annoy me, day in and day out, more than a nice snug fit while I'm off the tarmac, with the Freehwheel styling, out front. It kind of makes sense...if you think about it...too much...

The widest section of the clamp for the FreeWheel is 1" wide...

It is more important to think about that extra inch when you have a tubular footrest and the outsides of your feet are already in contact with the tubing at the bend where transitions from horizontal to vertical.

This may be more of an issue with a V-front because the bend may have more of an effect. This V-front has a 12" footrest spacing, but the actual useable footrest width (where the tubing is completely horizontal and the feet can be completely flat is only about 9.25"). If your feet are displaced outward too much by the FreeWheel's clamp, they could be forced up the side of the extension tubes. This can lead to excess pressure or displace one's feet upward where they are more likely to accidentally bump and dislodge the clamping lever.
                              Last edited by SCI_OTR; 04-18-2012, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X