24 or 25 tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brianm View Post
    @ Lin - Adding 25" wheels to your current chair without lowering your RSH will change the dump of your chair and your back rest angle would need readjusted, if possible.
    I know. I have a ton of adjustability in my back so no issue there. (that was my biggest concern getting the chair, having that adjustability) My only concern would be losing my dump by not being able to adjust the front of the chair to make up the difference. I already have trouble carrying things on my lap, they want to slide off. I go up on my toe with my right leg to help hold things onto my lap. Hopefully in the future I can bring my footrest up, but I can't currently because of my knees.

But would 25" wheels help the issue where I've been told I need to be deeper between the wheels? I tried asking in my thread but so much was going on it got missed. I'm wanting to get a video of me pushing my chair, because when I pay attention it feels like I'm already not using as much reach as would be possible with my current wheels. I pay a lot of attention to pushing 'the right way' in a circle and not back and forth though. I don't waste energy trying to go fast, so I do a few good pushes and coast, then give another push to keep up the momentum, coast, another push, and so on.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I think the 25"s may big too big for you. Depends on how much you wheel. There's a difference: If you are a petite 5'5" and hardly do any wheeling the 25"s would cause more strain on your shoulders as it takes more effort to get momentum up. With 24's, there is so much less effort to get them rolling and contiue rolling for the distance we do. 25's =Hills and ramps would take more effort.

Part of good poisitioning is seating in a position where the shoulders don't ride up and down in the stroke. You are a shorter person with shorter arms; Shoulders down; Fingers close to center of axle

Is it that you want to sit deeper in the chair or do you want more dump? Putting on 25's will make you 1/2" higher from the center.
      So no, without being able to lower your rsh, 25' will not put you deeper in the chair or your fingers at the proper position. It will also throw your front casters off 90o. Those would need adjusting.

Can you use a thinner cushion, that would lower you. I forget Lin, what kind of chair you are using. How's your balance. If you have good balance and core, more "deeper" may not be necessary. Possibly, just fine tuning the position of the axel.

I hear that you were told to be deeper in the chair but not what you want for a final goal. Some want a tippy chair that turns fast, others want more stable and esy to transfer. I didn't read your previous thread where is was suggested the change. I'll look again.

Comment

Ok, sounds like bigger wheels aren't the answer for me. I'm 5'3, and have shoulder issues already so I need to protect them. I posted photos and asked about the placement of the pushrim in relativity to the body and how that affects pushing efficiency. The reason was because of hearing that 'rule' over and over about how your finger tips should reach the center of the button. I have a Q7, and my fingers are a good couple inches above the button. I have a low cushion, so as far as cushion goes I can't go any lower and may end up going higher because at some point I want to upgrade to a cushion that doesn't cause me coccyx and IT pain. I was using a comfort company curve, and a friend recently sent me a jay combi that she doesn't use. Its slightly lower in the back than the curve, and is more comfortable than the curve. I'm going to try for a better cushion through vocational rehabilitation but was told its a long shot because money is so tight and the economy so poor.

The consensus in the thread was I needed to "sit deeper" between the wheels. I'm very literal when it comes to language so I did ask if they meant by increasing the dump, or that I needed to be deeper between the wheels regardless of dump. With so much going on, that question got missed as well. I sit about 6-7 inches into the wheels, measuring from the cushion to the top of the tire. Looking at the manual I don't think my dump can be increased, at least not without different parts. It said to remove spacers, but I don't have any spacers. There was a note in the manual that with certain parts you need to change something to lower any more. But even then I think it could only go 1/2" lower. My rsh is 15.5" now so I'm wondering if it just can't go any lower. Thats what made me start wondering about forgetting bringing myself lower into the wheels, and maybe bring the wheels up to me. But sounds like thats NOT what I'm looking for!

As for dump I wanted to increase it so it was easier to carry things on my lap, but also worry about extra stress on my hips and knees from increased dump. Thanks so much. Sorry for dragging this off topic!
        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I looked at your thread. If it was my chair, I'd move my back forward to 90o, lower the rear and put the front caster bolts in the middle hole. This would lower the whole chair enough to allow you to sit deeper.

That cushion looks pretty thick, is it 4". If you don't have pressure sore issues, you could drop down to a 2" memory foam cushion. That would lower you bigtime and you'd probably feel more secure. I'm a T6/7 and have used 2" hard memory for over 30 yrs with no problems.

I'd search to find out if you can lower it anymore, 1/2" can make a difference. I think putting your back forward more would really help. If you look at your photo, your shoulders are way behind the center of your wheel. You want as straight a line as you can tolerate and still feel snug in the chair.

5'3", no way should you be using 25's. It takes time to dial in a chair. I'm sure some her can attest to late nights changing things around hoping it will improve the efficiency. Do the changes if you choose, take new photos, start a new thread if you feel you are hijacking this one. I think we can get you sitting much better. You never answered what your balance is like. If it's okay, lower the back also.
          Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12 Apr 2012, 2:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I think the back angle doesn't show correctly in pictures, along with the cushion height. I cannot move my back angle forward at this time due to back issues. Its actually not that far behind 90 degrees, I believe the amount of lumbar support that's going on causes an optical illusion. Also, many people were mistaken about the height of my cushion. I just have a big ass lol.

Here is a photo with a metal yardstick straight up and down to better show where the back is set at. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...g?t=1334220414

In the photos I'm sitting on a curve cushion which is 2 inches exactly in the rear before compression. The jay combi I'm using now is a little over 1 3/4 inch in the rear before compression. After about 4 hours in the chair my coccyx starts to hurt quite badly and my ITs start to hurt as well. I'm unable to shift my weight to take pressure off them because it sets off my back which is much worse. The combi is more comfortable than the curve but I've only had it a week. I think the foam is higher quality, it feels nicer just squeezing it to compare.

If I drop down the front of the chair, won't I be decreasing the dump? I'm not wanting to do that. If anything I'd really like to increase the dump. I also believe dropping down the front would increase the front frame angle which could be a problem. I have an appointment with the DME to see if its possible to lower my rsh/decrease my dump more than it currently is. How does lowering the front of the chair change how I sit between the rear tires? I'm not able to picture how that works.

I do not have a SCI, so no issues there affecting balance but I have balance issues and for example will never be removing my anti tippers. The back reaches to the bottom of my shoulder blades, I need the support and cannot go with a lower back. If the DME is able to increase my dump I'll definitely get some updated photos! Right now the only thing thats changed was the cushion and that isn't much. I was supposed to see the DME yesterday but was unable to get out there and had to cancel and will be rescheduling. From what I've read here, definitely dropping the idea that 25"s might help. Thanks!

Comment

I understand better. I was trying to get you deeper in the chair using the same angle of dump; that's why I suggested lowering the front. But if you want more dump, then don't lower the front. If you can't get more dump by lowering the rsh, we used to put a wedge under the cushion in the front. That was before there was such a thing as an adjustable chair.

I trust your dme will be able to adjust it better. Hope it goes well.

Comment

I never felt much difference between 24 vs 25, but yes between 24, 25 vs 26 (obviously, the most between 24 and 26, and due to my size/proportions, pref is sitting lower while pushing reach is a lil greater with 26's)

however, regardless of wheel, cushions made the most significant difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                  I understand better. I was trying to get you deeper in the chair using the same angle of dump; that's why I suggested lowering the front. But if you want more dump, then don't lower the front.
                  What difference does getting "deeper" into the chair make? Thats what I started the thread on, I wanted to understand what difference the positioning rules made on using the chair. I understand that the basis of the "rule" about your fingertips touching the center of the hub has to do with how much of the pushrim you can reach, and when you reach more of the pushrim you can push a longer stroke and therefor less strokes overall. But what does "deep" do? For example I see a lot of photos where people are sitting nearly level with their tires, or only a couple inches below their tires. I'm already 6-7 inches below my tires so I would have thought thats quite deep? But the consensus after I posted my photos was that I needed to be deeper. From your replies, it sounds like "deep" is different from "more dump" because you were giving advice on how to get deeper without increased dump... So what is "deep" and whats the purpose of it?

When it comes to dump the reason I don't want to lose dump is primarily the fact that I have difficulty carrying anything on my lap. Everything wants to slide to the floor. And with my rsh, everyone said I need to lower it so I can reach more of my wheels. What sort of thing could a wedge be made out of? I've seen wedge cushions, but the issue when it comes to cushions is not being able to afford anything currently. The combi has more of a slope up with higher in the front than my curve does at least.

Comment

25's are great on hard surface, 24's are great off road as they tend to be wider.
                    Daily life.. 25.
                    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

Working...
                    X