Leg bag issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg bag issues

I use euro care leg bags and now can only find the clear exention tubing. I'm having trouble with odor from both the bag and the tubes. What is my best option to contain this odor? Bags & tubes?

Thanks

The Bard leg bags my spouse uses started coming in clear tubing several months ago too. There was a discussion here and I think it had to do with latex? Maybe someone here remembers.
    As far as the odor I'm not sure what you mean.
    We flush the tube and bag with diluted bleach water every night when change to the overnite bag and then change out the bags weekly.

Comment

Hi "TREA18,"

Are you using UROCARE leg bags? Vinyl or latex?

Urocare distributes white rubber and clear vinyl drainage and extension tubing. See the various tubing products at the site below. You can buy it from Urocare or search by part number at on line medical supply companies.
      http://www.urocare.com/products/Drai...sionTubing.php

Urocare suggests using their cleaner called Urolux® Urinary & Ostomy Appliance Cleanser and Deodorant for cleaning their leg bags. This cleaner works well on the latex bags which do not hold up to cleaning with a 10% bleach solution over time. The vinyl bags can be cleaned and deodorized with a 10% bleach solution which kills odors and bacteria. For instance, add 30cc of common household bleach without added fragrance to 300cc of hot water, pour into the bag and agitate for 30 seconds or so, drain, and allow the leg bag to dry on clean paper toweling.

How frequently do you change the leg bags and tubing?

All the best,
      GJ

Comment

I'm really thinking it's from the bag more than the tube. We put a new tube and bag on Monday night and I could smell urine yesterday afternoon, so I didn't know if things are getting cheaper or if there might be other bags that contain the smell better. I use the reusable latex bag.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TREA18 View Post
          I'm having trouble with odor from both the bag and the tubes.
          I have found that whenever my bag has a strong odor, I probably have a urinary tract infection. There is one strain of infection that appears to particularly react with leg bags to create a foul odor that escapes the bag.
          C-6/7 incomplete

Comment

I'm really thinking it's from the bag more than the tube. We put a new tube and bag on Monday night and I could smell urine yesterday afternoon, so I didn't know if things are getting cheaper or if there might be other bags that contain the smell better. I use the reusable latex bag.

Thanks
            How have you been cleaning the latex legbags? Have you tried the Urolux cleaner?
            According to the Urocare website, their new latex bags are now made with "Odor Guard." (whatever that means). I have posted (below) a pdf from Urocare describing care of the latex bag. Urocare makes vinyl leg bag that can be cleaned with bleach solution that may make the odor less noticeable.

Do you have a urinary tract infection that may be causing the odor?

All the best,
            GJ

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              How have you been cleaning the latex legbags? Have you tried the Urolux cleaner?
              According to the Urocare website, their new latex bags are now made with "Odor Guard." (whatever that means). I have posted (below) a pdf from Urocare describing care of the latex bag. Urocare makes vinyl leg bag that can be cleaned with bleach solution that may make the odor less noticeable.

Do you have a urinary tract infection that may be causing the odor?

All the best,
              GJ
              Sorry the pdf didn't load. I'll try again.

Comment

I just checked my urine last week and I think it was the cleanest sample I've ever tested. As far as white boold cell count and other foreign matter.

Thanks

Comment

I just checked my urine last week and I think it was the cleanest sample I've ever tested. As far as white boold cell count and other foreign matter.

Thanks
                  Reassessing your cleaning procedure may be helpful.

"I just checked my urine last week..." Was this check a Urinalysis (UA) and/or Culture and Sensitivity (C&S) done by a lab or a home dipstick test?

Have you changed any medications, started taking something that may cause urine odor?

Have you eaten any foods that may cause urine odor, i.e., asparagus, onions, garlic, coffee to name a few?

Your bladder may be colonized with bacteria (meaning you have bacteria growing in the urine, but the bacteria is not causing clinical symptoms of a urinary tract infection). This can cause your urine to have an odor and become cloudy.

Have you considered trying Vetericyn instillations to eliminate colonization and possibly bladder infections? Below are a few threads you may want to read and study about Vetericyn that many of us use.
                  /forum/showthread.php?t=133414
                  /forum/showthread.php?t=149966
                  /forum/showthread.php?t=143797
                  /forum/showthread.php?t=167480

http://vetericyn.com/technology/faq.php

All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

Clorox

I use euro care leg bags and now can only find the clear exention tubing. I'm having trouble with odor from both the bag and the tubes. What is my best option to contain this odor? Bags & tubes?

Thanks
                    Clorox bleach fixes the problem. Gallon bottle $1.59.

Ti
                    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

It was an UA done my local clinic that was also sent for Culture sensitivity. My urines always been strong is there any bags that are better than the other? This is where I'd like to start since this new bag smelled before one full day of use. I will read up on the other options to help with any infectious ordor as well.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                        Clorox bleach fixes the problem. Gallon bottle $1.59.

Ti
                        It really isn't recommended to use bleach on reusable latex leg bags (the ones the original poster is using). A single one of these bags (Urocare latex) is meant to be used for months on end. Bleach solution over that time causes the latex to become brittle and stiff and break down before the long term life of the bag. I know it seems like Urocare is trying to lock you into using their cleaner, but I know from experience what can happen when bleach, bathroom toilet cleaners, and other products are used with these bags. Sometimes the odor from the Urolux cleaner can be cloying and I found that washing the bag in a mild dishwashing detergent like Ivory liquid would cut the odor of the cleaner with ill effect on the bag.

All the best,
                        GJ

Comment

We really are trying to avoid the latex bags for a number of reasons:

1. Difficult to clean properly since bleach should not be used (it eats up the latex).

2. Tend to hold odor more than vinyl.

3. If allowed to stay in contact with skin or mucous membranes, can lead to latex allergy.

4. Need to be used with the cloth type Velcro leg straps to avoid serious skin breakdown that can be caused by the usual rubber strap/button combination.

Can you use a vinyl leg bag instead? These can be cleaned with 10% bleach solution, do not hold as much odor after cleaning, and do not have any of the risks of latex sensitivity/allergy issues. Hollister and Bard both make good vinyl leg bags.

A vinegar soak for your latex bag can cut odor significantly, but is not a dependable chemical for disinfection.

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I'll look into the vynl. I made my own leg bag emptier that works really well with the drain tube that I get with the latex bag, so that might be an obstacle. The skin irritation is not a issue since I'm always wearing long socks and cloth straps. Thanks for all the suggestions and anymore ideas would be welcomed.

Comment

Working...
                            X