Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this gadget? Possibilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of this gadget? Possibilities?

A friend just sent me this link. Interesting concept to get around.

http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/t...hairs_obsolete
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

After watching the video again I think it is an interesting concept with good use for limited applications. My concerns would be a tipover, pressure points and the velcro strap/seat belt buckles. Good use for flat surfaces but impossible to climb stairs with. Another concern is its ability to handle ramps/bumps etc.

Glad to see somebody thinking outside the box though.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

I'd like to see how someone gets this to work on rough or uneven terrain, makes it up a curb or one step (or even a fairly steep ramp). And what about those who are amputees in addition to having paralysis, or have severe osteoporosis or actual fractures? These are the reasons we rarely use a stand-up transfer devices with persons with SCI as well. There are already less expensive mobile standing frames on the market, but none of them are practical for use outdoors either.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

...not to mention how to transport it.

Comment

TEK RMD (Robotic Mobilization Device)

Just ran across this.. anyone seen or heard of this?
          The video is kind of interesting, would make a great exercise ranging tool.

If you live and work in a perfect flat world it seems like it would be ok, but
          inclines look like they would be a little terrifying, loading in the car would
          be interesting. But for use around the home it looks like a fun proposition.
          If only they could build on top of the Segway platform. and of course
          no mention of cost $$$$$. Cool to see folks working on other ideas though.

unrelated but in the video,
          The closet was interesting how the rail dropped out giving access to the higher area, which
          normally would be inaccessible.

http://tekrmd.com/

Comment

Pretty small footprint. I like it.

Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Funny how they say Yusuf has been injured for 5 years and he isn't using a diferent kind of chair or one that has a cushion on it for that matter. Just another non-practical gimmick to make general AB public think. "wow, that is amazing, so neat to see that others will be able to get around and stand again." If they only actually knew!!

Comment

"making wheelchairs obsolete"

this device is advertised as a technological advancement that will make chairs "obsolete"

http://digg.com/newsbar/Technology/t..._campaign=wall
                An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Apart from the issues mentioned, my concerns are whether it is practical for a full-day use and its implications on the posture, back and joints.
                  C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
                  Tilite ZRA Series 2
                  The DIGITAL AWAKENING
                  Living One Day At A Time
                  www.petertan.com/blog/

Comment

Steering looks mechanically awkward. I'd say indoor hard surface floor only. I don't think it will do well on padded carpet.
                    Clearly for a limited range of users. You'd need strength to get over a thick sling. Lateral support looks marginal. That bed transfer is not going to happen on a LAL mattress or memory foam. Don't see how it helps in toileting. Still need to get the sling out from under you and pull down pants.

Comment

While awesome, it doesn't look outdoor-friendly.

Still. Awesome.
                      www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Comment

Interesting, "Paramoto" posted the same thing at 1:50 PM, today.

/forum/showthread.php?t=181722

All the best,
                          GJ

Comment

It's fascinating, but I do not think it will "replace the wheelchair" for most people. If standing is the goal it works, but I sure wouldn't want to come down a hill on it, or try rough ground, to say nothing of having to find a seat everywhere you go should you want to have a break from standing.

Comment

Originally posted by nick View Post
                              Funny how they say Yusuf has been injured for 5 years and he isn't using a diferent kind of chair or one that has a cushion on it for that matter. Just another non-practical gimmick to make general AB public think. "wow, that is amazing, so neat to see that others will be able to get around and stand again." If they only actually knew!!
                              Thats what I was thinking. Its been mentioned here that it would be for a narrow part of paraplegic users, and even more narrow for those that use chairs for disorders outside of paralysis.

And what about all the comments in the videos about things that paraplegic people 'normally can't do alone'? I'm not paraplegic and I found it offensive.

Definitely not something to make wheelchairs obsolete. If it was on the segway platform it would be more versatile for uneven ground or off road purposes.
                              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Working...
                              X