Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this gadget? Possibilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New device makes wheelchairs obsolete

Be great for some paras....

http://www.wimp.com/newdevice/
    Brian

Comment

ummmm, no. this type of device isn't even innovative. but, whatever. guess it's good people see it but it's hardly a new device that makes wheelchairs obsolete. i have been emailed this website by good intentioned ppl, just like i got them for iBot, electrical (robotic) walking, etc. to me, these make ABs feel better and really don't benefit most who are paralyzed. just my opinion, nothing against you, cboy

Comment

Tek RMD - Robotic Mobilization Device

Video: http://www.wimp.com/newdevice/

www.tekrmd.com
        stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

What a joke.. Watch out for rocks and uneven ground.. Oh and you're going to get fat as a tick in one of these. Why haven't they stated that standing is useless unless there is pull/activation of the muscle on the bone while standing. I'm sure there might be some benefit, but this thing is not practical.
          Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
          CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Comment

No argument here. I find it amazing that real R&D dollars were put into designing and building this contraption.
            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Old news. We have discussed this here in multiple posts already. Moving this to the main thread.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                I'd like to see how someone gets this to work on rough or uneven terrain, makes it up a curb or one step (or even a fairly steep ramp). And what about those who are amputees in addition to having paralysis, or have severe osteoporosis or actual fractures? These are the reasons we rarely use a stand-up transfer devices with persons with SCI as well. There are already less expensive mobile standing frames on the market, but none of them are practical for use outdoors either.

(KLD)
                I find it remarkable, KLD, that you would be so dour on this type of product. Granted, it's limited by the obvious clearance issues, but would be great for moving around the house while getting some standing in. Just being able to reach things would uncomplicate my life greatly.

Reminds me of the idiot director in Hot Springs Arkansas, who after seeing my F-150, said I should "get something sensible"

pfftt...

Comment

TekRMD Robotic Mobilization Device

Ok, have you seen this yet? If so, what do you think? It is something different. I like how small and compact it is. I googled how much it might cost, and it looks like around $15,000. Here is the link to it: http://m.wimp.com/newdevice/

Comment

That's pretty cool. I could see myself using that around the house. For me, it's a bit slow to use out in public. The benefits of standing that easy is definitely attractive. I do wonder though about the effects it would have on blood pressure standing that quickly.
                    INIMITABLE......look it up.

Comment

Merged with numerous previous posts on this.

(KLD)
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Its kinda crazy the amount of new threads that get started about this. What is it about this item?! Is it because the marketing saying it will make wheelchairs obsolete? I've even had a bunch of able bodied friends that sent me the link.
                        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
                          ummmm, no. this type of device isn't even innovative. but, whatever. guess it's good people see it but it's hardly a new device that makes wheelchairs obsolete. i have been emailed this website by good intentioned ppl, just like i got them for iBot, electrical (robotic) walking, etc. to me, these make ABs feel better and really don't benefit most who are paralyzed. just my opinion, nothing against you, cboy
                          I agree, this may be useful to a para with money to spare, but it will never replace the wheelchair.
                          Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                            Its kinda crazy the amount of new threads that get started about this. What is it about this item?! Is it because the marketing saying it will make wheelchairs obsolete? I've even had a bunch of able bodied friends that sent me the link.
                            I think it's because that advancements in mobility devices has been stagnant here for decades.

Just my .02

Be Big,
                            AMAC
                            L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
                            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Garyis View Post
                              I agree, this may be useful to a para with money to spare, but it will never replace the wheelchair.
                              As Cass has stated there in lies the problem. I have yet to see any device that will replace the wheelchair.

Thats poor marketing by ABs for ABs.

That being said I see a lot of devices that would work well along with ones chair. I belive it's short sighted to dismiss these emerging concepts based on old paradigms.

Yes they have a limited target market but if a device is designed for all then it's designed for none.

Again just my .02

Be Big,
                              AMAC
                              L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
                              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarkus View Post
                                I think it's because that advancements in mobility devices has been stagnant here for decades.

Just my .02

Be Big,
                                AMAC
                                That only explains the disabled community attention. But why are all the ABs paying it so much attention?
                                Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Working...
                                X