No announcement yet.

Bought a Roadrace Power Pod from Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's a speeding ticket in the making.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Wheel_Life View Post
      It'll be nice if/when the cost of LiFePo batteries starts to come down. I've been planning on getting a hub motor setup, but most people seem to think that a lithium setup is the only way to go. The price difference between SLA and the lithium is a pretty big jump!

Check out this guy. LiPo battery setup at 120V. Madness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juw1D0m0lOo

Curt, don't you go getting any ideas of doing this to your bike.

That guy is crazy, I don't think a bike is designed for those speeds; hope he modified the bike also.

I may go Lipo when my sla's finally wear out. I'm not too concerned about the weight. One thing about LiPos is that when the battery is low; it's right now. With SLA's, the battery discharge is at slower rate. Not sure if I'm saying that right.

Comment

Nope, I'm really just looking for range right now and have decieded to stick with the 36 volt that limits my speeds to 18.5 mph (or 20 or so if I'm cranking). Did not get a chance to try the new setup today, but hopefully tomorrow. Gotta allow at least 3 hours for the ride because I hope to get it up to around 45-60 miles before the batteries are spent. The good thing with my new setup is I have two separate battery packs so if I ever forget to charge one or something I can just slap in the other battery pack, or if I wanted to do a 80 miles ride in a day I could change them out without having to take the time to do a recharge.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

What about using the extra 12v you bought to make it a 48vlt. One of the reasons I went with the 15ah was the longer range on a 36vlt.

Comment

Great to see you guys are hungry for more distance and power....just a bit scary, glad you guys are all well informed adults capable to judging your capabilites etc etc

Personally, I used 2 x 36v packs in parallel, and then stuck a single 12v in series. It was great, i went for a nice 47 mile ride and averaged around 18 mph. I got a great work-out and really enjoyed the extra "boost' of power up some of the hills. The batteries still had life left in them when I got back to my van so I dont know how much more range I might have gotten.

good times

Comment

I think Patricks setup is what I'd recommend to anybody getting one of these new, 3 15ah batteries would give a really good range, the 3 12 ah are only good for around 30 miles max. What is the most you've gone on the 3 15's Patrick? That 35 ah single battery I got is just too big and heavy, at least I only paid $55.00 for it so not the end of the world. I'm doing a ride with the bigger one later if it does not pop the fuse when I hook it up connected with the two 12 ah batteries, this could be an issue hooking up dissimiliar ah batteries, I'm not really sure yet, it did not work in series with the 3 pack.

Another reason I've decieded to keep my speeds down a little lower is wear and tear on the hub motor, wear and tear on the bike also. It can't be good for the frame welds/compenents, my body going over bumps and section joints in the path at those higher speeds, all those things will last longer long term without the excessive vibration of high speeds.
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              challenges you're dealt but
              the challenges you seek...If
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I really haven't tested it for distance yet, but so far I've gone over 20 miles.

Mark, have you got a photo of the 2x36's parallel setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
                  I really haven't tested it for distance yet, but so far I've gone over 20 miles.

Mark, have you got a photo of the 2x36's parallel setup?
                  I created a new wire connection to enable the batteries to be connected in parallel. I have named this thing "The PARALYZER"......

In this way I was able to connect the two 36v batteries in parallel. This set-up is capable of 50 miles with the 12v pack to make it 48v.

You will note that I have broken my golden rule of NOT placing the 36v on the Power Pod. This is because having that much weight so high will cause some handcycles to roll in corners. The Freedom Ryder will not roll, but a ForceR will (and has). Hence my warning.

Comment

Thanks, Won't try it for sure. Not a big fan of rolling the bike.

Comment

Working...
                    X