Need help in buying a new Active chair - C5 Quad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chairDroid View Post
    How much margin is there for the footrest to move up and down?

How are the Ti Shadow wheels? can anyone share how they look.

Regarding rear wheel size:What height should the rear wheels reach upto? Currently my 24" wheels are 2" above the cushion. Is this correct or should it be more, in which case I'll go for 25/26" wheels
    I'll check my footrest adjustment range later today if no one else responds. (You might also add to your CAD request that the footrest adjustment range be included. TiLite doesn't include that measurement unless you ask (in writing).)

Shadow wheels home page.

Typically RSH is set so your fingertips hang at the wheel-axles' centers when you're sitting upright. Everyones' arms and torso lengths differ, so height of wheel above cushion is irrelevant. RSH is set appropriately for what ever wheel diameter you decide to use.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Wheels look good, better than silver spokes.

thanks chas! you have helped a lot.

I mailed bike-on for a quote yesterday with all addons, no reply yet. I'm getting impatient now.
      Keep pushing!

Comment

my hips to knee- 19in - not very sure about this one... its a tough measurement to get acurate
        knee to heel- 18in
        pneumatic tires.

for the first few months i had my footrest flipped forward so it was sticking out because my legs wouldnt bend tight enough to stay on it normally. Now my legs are loose enough that it works in the normal position.

in my "my new wheels with pics" thread theres 2 more pictures of me sitting in my chair
        c6 inc since 2-19-11
        ex pro-am motocross racer
        tilite aero z s2

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
          are surge handrims recommended for quads? Natural fits aren't, is the grip strip on surges enough?
          For reference sake, the website says the surge handrims are recommended for those with good hand function, as the design is for a grip that wraps around the handrim.

Not being a quad but from what I've learned here and elsewhere, the foam or something like pushblax are a much better option for quads. Or, from the makers of natural fit and surge, the Q-Grip http://www.out-front.com/qgrip_overview.php
          Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by chairDroid View Post
            What are the advantages/disadvantages of narrow/wide footrest?
            I have a narrow footrest (11 inches), the advantage is it keeps your legs from splaying as well as your feet together. People say you shouldn't sit "on" your chair you should sit "in" your chair. The narrow footrest helps with that (at least me).

Comment

@Wills77: Your hip to knee seems longer than 19" to me. I saw the new tires thread, you are well seated in your chair. BTW, betty's look great!

@Lin: I too read around that Natural Fits are difficult for quads. It actually depends on how much wrist and hand function you have. Foam, on the other hand has received many good reviews, and so have PushBlax (although I find them costly).
              I read about the solution Wills77 is using on his rims and it looks good.If anyone has an article/link which can guide me on how to install foam on my handrims, it would be of great help, as q-grip and pushblax are costly and out of my budget, atleast for now.

Today I did some measurements on my current chair regarding footrests. Turns out, my Front SeatToFloor + cushion height is 20" and the legs touch ground(in a sagged manner, i.e. pulled downwards more than usual) if I'm wearing shoes(1" heel).
              considering this, 16" STFootrest height would be apt for me, as I would be able to extend it to 17-18" if needed.

@t8burst: Thanks for the info. I think I should lower the footrest width as well.

I have narrowed down almost all measurements, received quote from Bike-on and Sportaid, and will most probably finalize by Monday. Will post a full spec list once i'm about to order.

Thinking of visiting the only rehab center we have here to try out an active chair. (not Ti's or quickie's, it's some unknown brand, the only one I saw there)
              Keep pushing!

Comment

Here's a post by Wills about some cheap handrim mods: /forum/showthread.php?t=174889
                Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

I have not had time to read all the posts here, but we are similar in size, 6'2", 175, although not age.

I have the fourth post in this thread https://www.carecure.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153343 There is also a link under my picture there with some discussion of my purchase process.
                  C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Comment

@Lin: Thanks! I'm not sure if vetwrap is provides good friction. will ask in that thread.

@Brianm: I've already checked that thread thoroughly and yes I did notice that our chair's will have almost identical sizes. You look very well seated 'in' your chair as t8burst said.
                    Keep pushing!

Comment

cD, sorry I never measured my footrest adjustment range. It has occurred to me that so many variables exist, it's hard to make direct comparisons among chairs with different specs. For example, my chair is set up for 6"" casters, so the caster mounts are high. And I have a standard front end with a 3.5"" taper which yields a specific length of vertical footrest down tubes.

I ordered what I thought was right, and I've since shortened them as far as they'll go. Next time I'll order it short and plan to lengthen it a bit, which is consistent with a post by SCI_OTR, which I can't find right now.
                      Chas
                      TiLite TR3
                      Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
                      I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                      <
                      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Working...
                      X