No announcement yet.

Help! first wheelchair and a nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya, DMEs are so hard to find. Mine is actually really good but still quite 'general'. I instead did my own homework. Spent 6 months making jigs in my garage from scrap wood to sit in/on to see what measurements did what for me. I keep having plans to create some sort of system people could use to do what I did but... time...

Anyhow, I learned that even the GOOD DME's measurements were still generic. I wanted a seat 1" narrower and 1.5" longer then he 'measured'. And some of that you'll never know till you sit for a while. It sounds like a lot of work, and it is... But for a chair that can cost up to even tens of thousands of dollars depending on specifics, you don't want to mess it up.

But I couldn't have done any of it without recommendations and suggestions based on experiences of users in this forum...

Comment

Pass the hat and buy an Icon.

Comment

There is a benefit with a reversed footplate...door opening (especially where there is a door closer). You can use it as a 'ram' to push the door open. This generally works well with about 85-90* front angle to keep the overall length reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
          There is a benefit with a reversed footplate...door opening (especially where there is a door closer). You can use it as a 'ram' to push the door open. This generally works well with about 85-90* front angle to keep the overall length reasonable.
          You can do this with a normal foot plate position.

Comment

Originally posted by cass View Post
            i have had quickie chairs since 1986. forget the sales rep, ask for engineering. the serial number is on the chair and paperwork. surely you have copies of the paperwork for 2nd chair? drop that DME as they sound horrible. my 2 cents. btw, nothing shady about quickie; they've been around a long time. the trouble is elsewhere, imo.

eta: telling your daughter to get a running start to go over a threshold is incredibly ignorant. you mentioned an OT in an earlier post. OTs don't do chairs, PTs do.
            O.T.s do chairs. There are some good ones that are CC members are regularly respond.
            You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
            http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
            http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by smashms
              i think she did take the chair lin, and the serial number is on the chair somewhere with quickie i forgot where but it is on there. And cass yes quickie has been around for a long time but there chairs IMO are CRAP!!
              Originally posted by bizzelizze View Post
              Needless to say, I told them to tkae the whole package back we can't use it so no sense in keeping it at home. I didn't sign for a darn thing.
              According to that post she told them to take the chair back.

With all due respect you've only owned one quickie, and it wasn't a K5 chair anyway but was one that shouldn't have been used for your situation. There are plenty of people around this forum (and elsewhere) that love quickie and have had multiple chairs for them over periods of years.

You're free to give your opinion and you DID preface it by "imo" but from what I've read you only ever used a quickie 2 and for a short period of time before you went with a K5 chair (which you should have had in the first place) by Tilite.

The Q7 IS a K5 chair.
              Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Working...
              X