No announcement yet.

Icon Wheelchairs - my chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also good proof that you can put higher profile knobby tires on (which make the rear wheels bigger), and adjust the ride height to keep the castors at 90.

Comment

I'll need to use my Tilite axles on my Icon. Wish it weren't so. Besides anything else - they don't fit. Making them as tight as I can I still have a lot of play. On my Icon expect to be putting 3M traction tape on the footrest like I have on my Tilite. This means the one place on my Icon that says Icon will be covered, argh, and only Tilite will be represented. Too ironic. I liked the original Icon logo on the rear of the frame.

I would like to get some axles that fit, not sure how to do that. I would also like to have an Icon logo somewhere visible. Maybe that's where the Sharpie will come in, I'll write in tattoo style up and down the wing, I have a silver one ;-)

Comment

BTW, I used my TiLite axels because I ordered the Icon with standard wire wheels to add to my closet collection, those axels are too long for the spinergy LX
        @ grommet -I don't have any problems with feet sliding off footplate, even when wet. With it being at an angle, it has been good so far. It also has stopped my leg "bouncing" problem I have with my Tilite. seems weird something as simple as a little angle on the footplate changes how our bodies act.
        Last edited by jschism; 15 Jan 2012, 7:35 PM. Reason: add

Comment

It's still gotta be killing you. I know if I got a new Icon, I know I'd get tired of having to say "No, it's not a TiLite" to the curious. I'd take a Sharpie to the flat buttons right after I transferred my dust caps.

Speaking of forks, is there still a standard fork or is the UniTine now standard? The online configurator on the Icon web site no longer includes fork options and Sportaid's has always required one of the FL's fork options to be selected.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
            BTW, I used my TiLite axels because I ordered the Icon with standard wire wheels to add to my closet collection, those axels are too long for the spinergy LX
            @ grommet -I don't have any problems with feet sliding off footplate, even when wet. With it being at an angle, it has been good so far. It also has stopped my leg "bouncing" problem I have with my Tilite. seems weird something as simple as a little angle on the footplate changes how our bodies act.
            Interesting. Maybe I am not fitted right in my Tilite TR and I can fit myself better in the Icon so I won't need the traction tape. I'm so used to not fitting and all the little problems with other chairs my brain is automatically coming up with solutions for all the problems I'll have with the Icon. I'm just used to things not being right and having to come up with ways to deal with it. Having something that works will frankly, be weird. A new paradigm - a chair that fits. Never ever thought that could happen.

Comment

SCI_OTR can you recommend a solution for my axles that don't fit? The play bugs me.

Comment

I'll get a smiley face sticker next time at the store and put on the button.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                  I'll get a smiley face sticker next time at the store and put on the button.
                  I like that idea, heck, I'll be smiling anyway :-)

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                    SCI_OTR can you recommend a solution for my axles that don't fit? The play bugs me.
                    You could go this route....

http://www.sportaid.com/rear-wheel-axle-spacer.html

Because of the set screw, the axle will not slide in the bearings which can make stowing the wheels in the car a bit more awkward.

What I frequently do, however, is add one or two 1/2" ID washers to the button end of the axle. On that end, you don't have to worry about them falling off when you remove your wheels.

[ATTACH]43464[/ATTACH]

It makes the button more prominent, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it can be an alternative to quad release axles for some.

Comment

SCI-OTR that's awesome and I'll try to rig that up tonight. I am wondering about the washers rusting though. I wonder if I can find stainless steel washers. Thank you very much for the solution, this has been bugging me forever.

Comment

Hoi Jeffy, that is one sweet ride my friend!

No, really it's simply awesome!
                        "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

Okay, I tried it with the washers I had and no fit. My washers have an outside diameter of 35mm and the Ti button measures 28mm. I can size down the washers on the belt sander and I'm thinking about it but I don't think I can get them to stay round if I do. Maybe it's just a cosmetic thing and I shouldn't care, I am concerned about holding the washers while I grind them.

Have you been able to find washers that already fit?

Btw my I.D is no problem, fits like a glove.

Comment

you can buy machine bushings in your local harware department

Comment

Would they be any different than a washer? I don't know if I've ever seen machine bushings for sale at a hardware store. Thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can find them. Are you making the suggestion because they also might be available in stainless steel?

Comment

Washers

Put the washers on a bolt, then put a nut on, maybe with some spacers if necessary, and chuck it in a drill. If you take that to the belt sander, the washers will stay round.

Comment

Working...
                                X