No announcement yet.

Icon Wheelchairs - my chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Icon is much more nimble (even though most people who used a Marvel commented on how well it moved, the Icon is significantly better) - I think the absence of the front torsion bushing/suspension is the reason for this - both Christian and I were really pleasantly surprised at how manoeverable it is.

The suspension has a different feel too - the way the shock was angled on the Marvel gave me a feeling of my weight shifting backwards much more than I get in the Icon, and because the Icon is more directly under the seat, the shock is working more correctly (theoretically), but it does need to be a little more precisely tuned to get the desired feel.

The other major difference is how quickly the adjustments can be made - I'm going to do a video soon of all the adjustments and time them - but the seat back angle for example, you can go from one end of the range to the other in under 15 seconds, and go from a flat seat angle to the max dump in under 45 - we did three full fittings in an hour yesterday at Next Step Fitness in Redondo CA, and all three people were totally different geometries.

The slowest adjustment yesterday was one of the seat width adjustments that I did, and couldn't figure out why the seat wouldn't go any wider than like 15" - after about 5 minutes of getting frustrated, Kristine Bacharach (our VA rep who was helping out at Next Step) pointed out that I had forgotten to undo the tension adjustable straps on the back - kind of like trying to get out of your car with the seatbelt on.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
      I'm going to do a video soon of all the adjustments and time them...

...The slowest adjustment yesterday was one of the seat width adjustments that I did, and couldn't figure out why the seat wouldn't go any wider than like 15" - after about 5 minutes of getting frustrated, Kristine Bacharach (our VA rep who was helping out at Next Step) pointed out that I had forgotten to undo the tension adjustable straps on the back.
      Try to remember not to use your own chair to demonstrate how quickly seat width can be adjusted in the video (just in case Kristine isn't around to remind you).

While we are on the subject, does one size cover all or are there different width packages for the adjustable tension upholstery?

Comment

There are two widths that match our seat bases (12-16, and 14-18), and two heights.

Comment

It's ok - I just wish it came with a Kelly Green ano package and tattoo patterns, then I'd fork out the money. I got it for free, so I'll keep it I guess.

I just spit hot chocolate on my keyboard!
          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
          T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

jeff your chair looks great man. I love it! still its like waving candy infront of a little kid and them not getting it. Very sweet ride! round bettys would look awsome on your chair!

Comment

Jeff, no locks??
              Chas
              TiLite TR3
              Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
              I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
              <
              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                Jeff, no locks??
                Bah! Locks are for wimps

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                  Bah! Locks are for wimps
                  I'm a wimp
                  Chas
                  TiLite TR3
                  I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                  <
                  UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
                    I'm a wimp
                    Maybe, but you probably have never tried. I had surelocks on my chair, and had to switch wheels while travelling. Ended up with no locks and no way to put locks on my wheels. Found out I really can get along without them.

Comment

I haven't had locks on my chair for a long time. I did have some prototype fender brakes on my last chair that I'll replace on my Icon - more to keep my shirts and suits clean than anything.

@grommet - my cushion has some rubberized fabric on the bottom - and the sideguards are 1/2" narrower than the cushion, which also helps keep it in place. I don't like to use velcro, because it's hard to "rip" it off the seat, depending on what position the chair is facing.

Sticky-back velcro can be put on either the laminate or carbon seats.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                        Maybe, but you probably have never tried. I had surelocks on my chair, and had to switch wheels while travelling. Ended up with no locks and no way to put locks on my wheels. Found out I really can get along without them.
                        I can stand, and frequently do (e.g., while shopping). But as I stand, I use the chair for support. I need it not to move while I'm standing up, or I could have a nasty fall. I also need them when I sit (flop) back down, or my chair and I go flying. When I first took delivery of my chair, it had no locks because the D's hadn't arrived yet. . . I need locks. We users have such variety

I haven't had locks on my chair for a long time. I did have some prototype fender brakes on my last chair that I'll replace on my Icon - more to keep my shirts and suits clean than anything.
                        What are fender brakes?
                        Last edited by chasmengr; 15 Jan 2012, 4:54 AM.
                        Chas
                        TiLite TR3

<
                        UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

I need locks for the same reason. Armrests too, because that's how I push myself up and steady myself. I've already found though that when I go to load the chair into my car, I forget to unlock the tires first. Then for a moment don't realize why the wheel isn't coming off! That and the easier locking already has me wanting something like Ds in the future.
                          Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Comment

I don't engage my locks for every transfer but there a certain long-distance-jump transfers where they are essential -- for safety if not execution.

Moreover, the chair needs to be stable (which doesn't mean locked in just one position) when transferring, especially if leg spasms are part of the equation. Either the locks are providing stability or your shoulders are and easing the burden on ones shoulders multiplied by thousands of transfers makes sense to me.

There are also countless other situations where chair stability is essential, at the gym for instance. If you're working on a pulley machine you want your body (and thus your chair) to be grounded. Then there are the more mundane situations like restaurant floors, which are not always level. I prefer not to be sliding away from the table while I'm eating.

I could go on. What I enjoy so much about having a locking hub setup is the mindless simplicity to lock and an unlock the chair. Being hassle free I use them constantly throughout the day. They're a major quality of life boost for me.
                              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I use hub wheel locks on my Lasher but I took them off the GT. For me, it really depends what I'm doing. I've noticed, with my really good trunk control and left leg strength, there is no way for me to use my strength without a firm connection to the Earth. Otherwise, the chair just twists and turns freely underneath me.

I've only been SCI'd for ~6 years and I can still remember the feeling of standing, twisting and the feel of the unyielding Earth under my feet channeling my strength and power up through my body. Having hub locks with full trunk control mimics this and grants me access to more of my strength, when needed.

I don't use them for transfers, generally. The CF fenders I attached to the CF side guards press into the wheel when I grab them, effectively chocking the wheel during lifts and xfers.
                                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
                                X