Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing D's Locks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by t8burst View Post
    You have to buy new disks and they aren't cheap. I have surelocks and both dino's and spinergy wheels. I would have had to spend 220 dollars to get an extra set of disks for the second set of wheels.
    Whoa! That's a little high! D's are about half that cost, but still a lot for what they are.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

    "If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by t8burst View Post
      You have to buy new disks and they aren't cheap. I have surelocks and both dino's and spinergy wheels. I would have had to spend 220 dollars to get an extra set of disks for the second set of wheels.
      I think is to much money for just brakes,

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
        I think is to much money for just brakes,
        Yeah, it was quite a bit. I also never heard back from him when I asked a followup question so now my surelocks are sitting in a box.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by t8burst View Post
          Yeah, it was quite a bit. I also never heard back from him when I asked a followup question so now my surelocks are sitting in a box.
          Sorry to hear that. But if you're managing fine without brakes, more power to you. I would if I could.
          stephen@bike-on.com

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
            Sorry to hear that. But if you're managing fine without brakes, more power to you. I would if I could.
            I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee sometime (my work this year may take me to NYC), I am very curious as to how much difference there is between a T4 and a T7 (I was evaluated in rehab as functioning as a T7 even though my injury is technically a T8). I had pretty much thought we were the same but some of the things you have said makes me think different (mainly the "why I can't use an icon" explanation). That being said, I am very much a knucklehead and if I can get by without brakes, even if it is harder and I end up on my ass occasionally I will, for no other reason than simply because I can.

            Comment


              #21
              I'm T5 (which I don't think is really any different than T4), and haven't used brakes for 20 years or so. Nobody I knew in a chair in California used them due to having to adjust them every day (if you were active outdoors, played sports, etc). I can do the chores mentioned in this thread pretty well, but now that I'm getting a little older, I should start looking into the newer style. Bones break easier at 50 than at 25, SCI or not.
              Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
              Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

              Thanks!

              Comment


                #22
                Riding the bus, subway, or other mass transit trains, are always occasions for locking my chair.
                stephen@bike-on.com

                Comment


                  #23
                  I`m a L1 and i can do transfers without brakes and all that things you have said, but i don`t want a wheelchair without brakes, brakes make somethings easier.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Great point, it's a whole different ballgame for you big city dwellers.
                    Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                    Riding the bus, subway, or other mass transit trains, are always occasions for locking my chair.
                    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                    Thanks!

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                      Riding the bus, subway, or other mass transit trains, are always occasions for locking my chair.
                      Don't forget taxis. I rode in an accessible cab for the first time yesterday and even with the Q-straints, it would have been terrifying without wheel locks.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I know a horror story from a friend when she was still a teenager. She was on a shuttle bus after a flight and the driver was in a hurry and didn't lock her in... Or maybe it didn't have the restraint system? Anyway to make matters worse the driver drove like a maniac and she flipped over backwards. Then the driver didn't bother to stop, so the other passengers had to get the wheelchair back up for her and then hold it upright for the rest of the drive. When they got to the destination, the entire group of passengers waited to complain and the driver was fired on the spot with another one sent to retrieve the shuttle.
                        Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

                        I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                          I would love to sit down and have a cup of coffee sometime (my work this year may take me to NYC), I am very curious as to how much difference there is between a T4 and a T7 (I was evaluated in rehab as functioning as a T7 even though my injury is technically a T8). I had pretty much thought we were the same but some of the things you have said makes me think different (mainly the "why I can't use an icon" explanation). That being said, I am very much a knucklehead and if I can get by without brakes, even if it is harder and I end up on my ass occasionally I will, for no other reason than simply because I can.
                          Come on down!
                          stephen@bike-on.com

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Katja View Post
                            D's come with two components that are specific to your chair:
                            1. axle adapter - this is a ring that is snugged around the end of your existing axle
                            2. locking ring - this is a flat plate with multiple holes in it that attaches to your wheel hub

                            And components that are common to all D's installations:
                            1. pistons that extend into a hole in the locking ring
                            2. cable/lever that operates both pistons and can be mounted anywhere on the chair

                            They do not come with their own axles.

                            Here are some pictures of D's on my chair, a Top End Terminator Titanium: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brokenc...7600381866495/
                            Wow, those are great pictures. I really wish I could get some D's Locks. Can't afford them right now. Buying a new Icon and all my money is going to that. My Tilite scissor brakes on my TR drive me nuts. They make things so much harder. All day I am reaching for them and it hurts and often enough I won't use them when I need them because it's too much trouble.

                            I do keep wondering how heavy D'Locks are. I mean in comparison to the scissor lock brakes. I figure they might be even in weight considering the mounting brackets and such. Won't find out for a while. This is the toughest year for money. Heck, I need to get glasses and I can't afford those.

                            Thanks for the pictures and the information, really helped me undestand D's Locks for the first time. :-)

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                              I`m a L1 and i can do transfers without brakes and all that things you have said, but i don`t want a wheelchair without brakes, brakes make somethings easier.
                              Copy that --- I throw the w/c in the back of my suv; without brakes, it would be flying all over the truck. Also, a well tuned chair will drift away with .0001 grade if ur sitting on the floor doing something else... Like the 'D's

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by 5th Wheel View Post
                                Copy that --- I throw the w/c in the back of my suv; without brakes, it would be flying all over the truck. Also, a well tuned chair will drift away with .0001 grade if ur sitting on the floor doing something else... Like the 'D's
                                Yes they will. The slightest grade and it becomes a ghost chair, moving all on it's own and so silently you don't realize it's leaving you. I use my wheel locks constantly and they help a lot but the ones I have are terrible to use and add to making my day suck. Surelocks or D's Locks one day should be a great improvement or if I find the money (total fantasy) the ADI actual braking system. That is very cool.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X