Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone eve seen or used this shower chair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone eve seen or used this shower chair?

http://www.amazon.com/Shower-commode.../dp/B0035LODDG
    Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
    www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
    www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Do you have torso control? If not, I'd want wider armrests, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by anban View Post
      Do you have torso control? If not, I'd want wider armrests, maybe?
      I like the look of the chair, but like Anban I prefer a chair where the armrests come out further and lock. I need this feature because without them, my legs would fall out. Also, when I'm bring my leg up to wash my legs/feet I need the stability of the bar to keep me from falling out of the chair.
      A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

I've been using this one since the late 1970s.

http://www.sportaid.com/e-j-commode-...17.5-back.html

Comment

The shipping cost is absolute robbery at $180!!!
          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
          T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

I have zero trunk control but I have no idea what I'm looking for
            Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
            www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
            www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

The picture is poor but it appears there is a bar across the back. You couldn't roll over a toilet with it (if you need that ability).

Comment

My son's blood pressure was and still is very low...he passes out often during his shower's so we bought one that reclines back. Also having him in a reclined position I don't have to worry about a wild spasm throwing his soapy body forward and needing to catch him...I read about your low blood pressure and thinking you might like the recline chair...not as pretty as the one you posted but thinking that one is for a para with total trunk control.

Comment

I've got the same as Uncle Peter, but with wider armrests.

Comment

Definitely agree on the wider armrests if you have no trunk control; you'll fall right over with those. Here's Chad's:
                    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 9 Jan 2012, 2:49 PM. Reason: Right-size photo
                    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Just a few features to look for and considerations of how you will use the shower/commode chair.

Chairs made of high strength materials such as aluminum and stainless steel will last a long time. Personally, I would avoid plastic foot rests like the one on the chair in our post. Cheaper quality chairs made of epoxy paint coated steel may break down, degrade and rust over time. That said, I have had a shower chair for about 15 years that is a high quality epoxy coated steel and it still looks like new, no rust. Look for well made chairs with strong welds and good powder or epoxy coatings.

Will you be propelling yourself into the shower or will some one push you in and out of the shower? Do you want a chair with 4 casters or 2 front casters and 2 large self push wheels in back? Which ever, casters or push wheels should lock in place.

Shower chairs should be fully adjustable in seat height. The footrests should be height adjustable and either fold away, swing away, or be removable. Armrests should be lockable and provide stability for weak trunk control, swing out, swing back, fold out of the way, or be removed for transfers. Closed cell Ensolite padding is comfortable and helps with stability.

Seat should have a cut out for commode use and easy access for perineal cleansing. Look for padding on the seat that wraps around and into the cut out area (often known as waterfall padding) for more comfortable seating and more protection from pressure. The seat cushion should be seamless, closed cell Ensolite foam upholstery. The seat should be able to be mounted with the cut out adjusted to front, back and either side.

Will you use the shower chair as a commode chair as well?

I have condensed some of these suggestions from a care manual I got during a physical therapy re-evaluation a few years ago.

All the best,
                      GJ

Comment

If you have no trunk control, then i wouldn't recommend you using a shower chair with no backing. I think it's best if you can find a shower chair that can tilt if you need pressure relief or to relieve your blood pressure. Having a tilt shower chair can also help you from falling out of the chair if you get leg or back spasms. I'm getting a new shower chair delivered to me today...so I'll posts some pictures for you if you'd like. It's an Invacare Aquatec VIP. I've been using a much older one for 10yrs and it has been the best chair for me. So I'm excited to receive this new one that is slightly updated.
                        Chris - C5 incomplete since March 2002

Comment

I use a chest strap for when I have to lean forward for getting enemeez inserted.
                          Don - Grad Student Emeritus
                          T3 ASIA A 27 years post injury

Comment

Working...
                          X