Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Hand controls after 18+ years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Hand controls after 18+ years

    Hello to everyone! I just found and joined the forum about 2 weeks ago and so far it's a great place.

    I just bought a new BMW on Dec. 23 and had the Veigel Classic hand controls installed. I've used Monarch's for the past 18+ years and was a little worried about the change.
    Since the 23rd I've found that the change from left side to right side control wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm really liking the fact that I can now tilt my steering wheel down and drive more normal than driving 18 wheeler style for so many years. The Veigel matches my interor very well also and I've had several ppl say that they thought my controls were part of the car at first glance. I've attached some pics of the controls installed in my car.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

    #2
    May I ask what they cost installed ? They're what I would choose, both smart in looks and functionality. mark

    Comment


      #3
      Parts and Labor came in just under $2000.
      SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
      T4,5,6 Incomplete
      Chair: TiLite TR3

      Comment


        #4
        The twist throttle action is pretty cool.... Wish they would have fit better in my wife's car but had to switch to the compact which is push/pull.... I paid around the same for our install....

        Comment


          #5
          Did you use the Monarch's with your left hand?

          If you did how was it for you to switch to using you right hand?
          Jim, MA, MMET
          Bridgewater, MA

          Comment


            #6
            Fancy controls! Mine are pretty basic

            Joe

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by stumpybushman View Post
              Hello to everyone! I just found and joined the forum about 2 weeks ago and so far it's a great place.

              I just bought a new BMW on Dec. 23 and had the Veigel Classic hand controls installed. I've used Monarch's for the past 18+ years and was a little worried about the change.
              Since the 23rd I've found that the change from left side to right side control wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm really liking the fact that I can now tilt my steering wheel down and drive more normal than driving 18 wheeler style for so many years. The Veigel matches my interor very well also and I've had several ppl say that they thought my controls were part of the car at first glance. I've attached some pics of the controls installed in my car.
              I've been talking with one of the reps at Viegel Hand Controls in Detroit, MI about purchasing this hand control for my 72 Old 442. Did you install them or did you have a dealer install them?

              Thanks

              Chris

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by stumpybushman View Post
                Hello to everyone! I just found and joined the forum about 2 weeks ago and so far it's a great place.

                I just bought a new BMW on Dec. 23 and had the Veigel Classic hand controls installed. I've used Monarch's for the past 18+ years and was a little worried about the change.
                Since the 23rd I've found that the change from left side to right side control wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm really liking the fact that I can now tilt my steering wheel down and drive more normal than driving 18 wheeler style for so many years. The Veigel matches my interor very well also and I've had several ppl say that they thought my controls were part of the car at first glance. I've attached some pics of the controls installed in my car.
                Love it, but it seems like they don't have design for right hand control on right driving seat.
                Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yes I drove left-handed using the Monarch's and it really wasn't that big of a deal switching over to right-handed driving. I have caught myself twice reaching for the
                  controls with my left hand when I first get in but other than that all is good.
                  My rep. that installed the controls told me that Veigel is a German Company, so I don't
                  see why there wouldn't be a set-up for right seat driving.
                  SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                  T4,5,6 Incomplete
                  Chair: TiLite TR3

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by stumpybushman View Post
                    Yes I drove left-handed using the Monarch's and it really wasn't that big of a deal switching over to right-handed driving. I have caught myself twice reaching for the
                    controls with my left hand when I first get in but other than that all is good.
                    My rep. that installed the controls told me that Veigel is a German Company, so I don't
                    see why there wouldn't be a set-up for right seat driving.
                    Thanks for the input it's good to hear changing over to right hand gas brake after 18yrs was no problem for you.

                    You just reaffirmed again for me that if someone has the desire to drive with something different they will adapt.

                    I wish I could have a assortment of vehicles on hand all with different controls for people to try.

                    We have a hand control similar to the Veigel that uses two levers(one for gas on for brake) that we've been making for more than 20 years.

                    I'm going to try and get a set of Veigel's put in something or put together some sort of demo for people to try.
                    Jim, MA, MMET
                    Bridgewater, MA

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I went with the Veigel Classic version because to me the downside to the
                      Veigel Compact version is that they are a push / pull control and limit how
                      far the seat could be adjusted forward. I'm 6'-1" tall but I have a couple
                      of friends that are a good bit shorter than me and they would need to
                      slide the seat forward in order to reach the pedals if they drove my car
                      and I was afraid the compact version would get in the way. Every car is
                      different as far as leg room etc., but for my car the Classic was the correct choice.

                      Matt
                      SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
                      T4,5,6 Incomplete
                      Chair: TiLite TR3

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Menox

                        These are a lot like the Menox controls I have in my Saturn Ion. You will find them to be really great. When I have any distance to drive I leave my van at home and take the car for two reasons. One the parking is always easier with the car and two the driving with the Menox hand control is nicer than the controls in the van.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by stumpybushman View Post
                          I went with the Veigel Classic version because to me the downside to the
                          Veigel Compact version is that they are a push / pull control and limit how
                          far the seat could be adjusted forward. I'm 6'-1" tall but I have a couple
                          of friends that are a good bit shorter than me and they would need to
                          slide the seat forward in order to reach the pedals if they drove my car
                          and I was afraid the compact version would get in the way. Every car is
                          different as far as leg room etc., but for my car the Classic was the correct choice.

                          Matt
                          That is funny because I went with the Classic hand control first in my wife's SUV. I'm 6'2" and she's 4'11". We couldn't get the Classic to disconnect all of the way with her seat forward so she could accidently engage the gas by leaning on the lever. The compact completely disconnects when I'm not driving and can't be accidently engaged. Just goes to show that sometimes you just gota try things out for yourself to see what works.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hi BriRi,
                            Just saw that you got the Compact Viegel hand controls. I am considering getting that one too along with Menox. Just wondering if you are satisfied with the way Viegel works. Would you have pictures of the system in its operating and folded positions that you could post? That would help me a lot decide whether this is the one I'd need. Many thanks beforehand. Cheers.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X