Pics/remarks of Icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics/remarks of Icon?

Surprised no one has posted pics or remarks of their Icons. What's up with that?

Originally posted by jschism View Post
    Surprised no one has posted pics or remarks of their Icons. What's up with that?
    x2
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Most of the first run went to dealers, facilities, and to our reps for demo units, which might explain it a bit.

Also, our first run of chairs were handwelded, and the second run were welded by robot - robot welding is always more consistent and gets better (more even) penetration, which adds to the strength, so I asked a number of people who purchased from our first run to wait for delivery from the second run - the difference was small, but I felt better delivering the hand-welded frames as demo units instead of ones going to users.

Comment

I plan on giving a review this weekend. Just need to find the time. Been using it for a week and am liking it, not sure how I sat in my other chair for so long.

Comment

14 x 15 CF seat pan w/14 x 16 cushion
          16 RSH
          18 FSH
          TiLite ZR2 composite scissor locks(don't have to reach under seat to use these)
          24" spinergy LX w/ kenda 24 x 1 3/8 knobby
          modified Icon side guards to use Fendered CF guards from off breed chair. I can see why fendered guards are not available. Users body weight and differences in travel of suspension would make it pretty hard to mass produce a side that would work for everyone, they would have to have height adjustable fendered side guards that the end user would have to set. As far as I know, l've never seen any one else offer such a thing as of yet.
          Last edited by jschism; 31 Dec 2011, 1:00 AM. Reason: add

Comment

nice looking chair.

Comment

Looks nice, Jschism. Can it take a freewheel?
              Adaptive Sports Forums.com
              http://adaptivesportsforums.com
              Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

14 x 15 CF seat pan w/14 x 16 cushion
                16 RSH
                18 FSH
                TiLite ZR2 composite scissor locks(don't have to reach under seat to use these)
                24" spinergy LX w/ kenda 24 x 1 3/8 knobby
                modified Icon side guards to use Fendered CF guards from off breed chair. I can see why fendered guards are not available. Users body weight and differences in travel of suspension would make it pretty hard to mass produce a side that would work for everyone, they would have to have height adjustable fendered side guards that the end user would have to set. As far as I know, l've never seen any one else offer such a thing as of yet.
                Is that the folding back option?

Comment

Nice.

A few questions...

[ATTACH]43245[/ATTACH]

a) If that is the folding back, can you take a pic to show how it works?

b) Did they eliminate the quick release clamps? It appears from your pics that they may have. If so, I apologize for any role I may have played in the decision.

I can understand going with a nut & bolt style because it requires the end user to deliberately modify their chair if they choose to adjust their wheelbase on the fly. This implies they have chosen to accept any risks associated with doing this. If something bad happens, they can't blame the manufacturer for a "bad design".

If, on the other hand, the quick release clamps are still used, please disregard this particular question.

c) Can you reach your lock out lever when you are in the chair?

d) How do you like it so far?

Comment

that is the folding back, I'll get some pics of it.
                    No, it does not have any quick release clamps.
                    I can reach the lockout by reaching through my spokes on the LX wheels, otherwise No with other spoke wheels.
                    I'll get to the freewheel after I get chair dialed in. I think it will work fine, but I need to find my other mounts that came with my freewheel to go with the smaller footplate on the Icon.
                    It's amazing the size ranges available with just one chair.
                    So far I really like it, it will take some getting use to and I'll need to find a different way of loading the chair into my backseat since it doesn't have removeable sides.
                    The shock comes not charged, so I haven't gotten a good feel for the suspension. I did notice however, rolling around just in the house on hardwood floors with a really spongey shock, how many bumps and jolts you actually take in a chair. If it's that noticeable inside, imagine all the bumps/jolts/ vibrations while rolling around outside of the house. It's almost scarey to think our bodies are absorbing all that shock.

Comment

I found the same thing with a softly sprung suspension, I was amazed at just how often it activated when I first started using it. It's well worth a couple hundred extra grams, IMO!

that is the folding back, I'll get some pics of it.
                      No, it does not have any quick release clamps.
                      I can reach the lockout by reaching through my spokes on the LX wheels, otherwise No with other spoke wheels.
                      I'll get to the freewheel after I get chair dialed in. I think it will work fine, but I need to find my other mounts that came with my freewheel to go with the smaller footplate on the Icon.
                      It's amazing the size ranges available with just one chair.
                      So far I really like it, it will take some getting use to and I'll need to find a different way of loading the chair into my backseat since it doesn't have removeable sides.
                      The shock comes not charged, so I haven't gotten a good feel for the suspension. I did notice however, rolling around just in the house on hardwood floors with a really spongey shock, how many bumps and jolts you actually take in a chair. If it's that noticeable inside, imagine all the bumps/jolts/ vibrations while rolling around outside of the house. It's almost scarey to think our bodies are absorbing all that shock.
                      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by jschism
                        The shock comes not charged, so I haven't gotten a good feel for the suspension.
                        Does a shock pump come with the chair? IMHO, if it doesn't, it should. (Especially given the price.)

Is your shock the base or upgraded version? If it is the base version does it have a lockout feature?

Comment

Originally posted by juggular View Post
                          I plan on giving a review this weekend. Just need to find the time. Been using it for a week and am liking it, not sure how I sat in my other chair for so long.
                          That is the review I was expecting :-) I'm figuring that's just how I'll feel. Can't wait to try some of the steps and curbs I do all the time in my TR.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                            Does a shock pump come with the chair? IMHO, if it doesn't, it should. (Especially given the price.)

Is your shock the base or upgraded version? If it is the base version does it have a lockout feature?
                            I have some real concerns here. A big part of me wanting the chair, besides the suspension, was being able to make easy adjustments while I am out. Especially the front end. Seeing the Icon videos I assumed the quick release clamps would be there so I could just slide the front end in and out easily. If have to go searching for a wrench and get the wrench just right into the bolt, that would well, kind of suck I think. I have also been wondering about the shock pump. I have a floor pump that goes to 165lbs, figured I could use that though there is a shock high-pressure shock pump available for sale at the Fox website. Figured I might need to get that.

Jeff, will you update us on how the chairs are set up now? Are the adjustments still going to be possible quickly while your out during the day?

Comment

Okay, just watched the "Growing an Icon" video again. Definitely no quick release levers for adjusting the front end. I'm disappointed, I really thought that would have made it easy to just slide it in and out. Wrenches make me nervous (though I realize they are necessary for most of the other adjustments). Trying to find a wrench in my bag menas bending and reaching and that's no fun for me. Also getting the wrench set in the bolt head just right without rounding or stripping is tough for me. My plan has been to stretch the front out quickly when I need to and run it back in again just as fast.

Maybe I'll figure out a way and I do trust Jeff and Christian to know what's best but the levers sure made it look easy.

Regarding the shock arriving not arriving charged is confusing since you are asked what weight you want when ordering. Maybe it's not safe to ship something that's pressurized.

Comment

Working...
                              X