No announcement yet.

Pics/remarks of Icon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I attended a presentation of the Icon a few weeks ago and the demo model had the quick release clamps. If the production models are not shipping with them -- SCI_OTR's surmise re this sounds like a likely explanation -- I'm sure it will be simple and inexpensive enough to swap them out for lever clamps.
    stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

One could go to their local bike shop or online and buy the quick release clamps and assume responsibility for the possibility of having the front end fall off. I have a fancy 3 wheeled wheelchair with a quick release lever on the front and it is not as practical as one might think.
      @ SCI_OTR - I should have the upgraded shock, I'll have to double check when I charge it. No shock pump with the chair, no bigee for me. If I can't do it, my local bike shop loves seeing all the stuff I bring to them.

Comment

Shock pumps are inexpensive & easy to find. Heck, even the $15 air compressor I bought at Walmart to keep in the back of a car will work up to 300psi.

Comment

--
          questions got answered :-)
          Last edited by grommet; 31 Dec 2011, 4:13 PM.

Comment

We're setting up the chair with base components that can be upgraded, and in many cases purchased at bike shops - the clamps that hold the front end into the frame fall into this category. The decision to put non-quick release clamps on the base model had nothing to do with liability issues, but everything to do with keeping the price as low as we could.

Every single upgrade that we include in the base chair is multiplied many times over when it goes out through the distributor/dealer network (as it is in any industry). This was one of the principal complaints in our previous effort - we had an "all-in" price, with all the bells and whistles, and the price was way out of line.

It's way better from an msrp point of view for the end-user to go to your local bike shop, and get them to outfit you with a couple of quick release clamps, or to order them from one of dozens of on-line bike retailers that discount them down to close to cost, instead of adding margin onto them.

The reason that we're not including the shock pump with the chair is partly for that reason, as well as because of a philosophical perspective/position.

High end mountain bikes that are at a similar price-point as the Icon don't come with a shock pump included from the manufacturer. If someone goes to a retailer/dealer and buys a bike, they can often successfully negotiate the inclusion of a shock pump from them.

That's the correct way for those "extras" to be included, and this is one way that we're trying to push this industry to have a more consumer-service focused dealer network like it is in the bike/car/electronics/everyother industry.

The other reason we're not including a shock pump is (as a few folks here have correctly commented) because any high-pressure pump with a schraeder valve will work on the shock - ideally, the pump should have a gauge to tell you how much pressure is going into the tire/pump, and we're assuming that most people who use a premium wheelchair already own a high pressure pump with a gauge.

Comment

I wouldn't have any qualms swapping out QR clamps, for both the front end and camber tubes. My bet is it was a cost decision to use standard clamps, to keep it as low as possible without compromising function.

The shock should come pre-charged to the specs on the order form, IMO, but if a shock pump is cheap and easy to find it would be nice to have one in the box. Not a deal breaker, but certainly a nice touch, (like a tool kit).
              "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

I see Jeff posted while I was typing...thanks for the info!
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Off topic. Will Icon be at the Abilities Expo in Los Angeles at the end of March?
                  Adaptive Sports Forums.com
                  http://adaptivesportsforums.com
                  Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Comment

Nice, sure people will look at your wheels.
                    But how the suspension is going to work with that fendered so near to the tires?

Comment

with going through shipping/air travel, i understand why the shock isn't pre-charged, for the same reason when you order new wheels with tires that aren't inflated. Won't do much good to inflate cylinder and have it blow out on a plane, that would be more of a hassle to replace it than inflating it when you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by totoL1 View Post
                        Nice, sure people will look at your wheels.
                        But how the suspension is going to work with that fendered so near to the tires?
                        That why I commented on why it is probably not offered, a lot of trial and error to get it right, i have drilled a variety of holes for mounting with different wheels/tires. In the pics the suspension is "locked" in the down side of suspension travel. I don't plan on having it set for too much travel.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                          with going through shipping/air travel, i understand why the shock isn't pre-charged, for the same reason when you order new wheels with tires that aren't inflated. Won't do much good to inflate cylinder and have it blow out on a plane, that would be more of a hassle to replace it than inflating it when you get it.
                          Nothing to do with shocks, but I can't remember receiving a set of wheels where the tires weren't inflated.
                          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

That's exactly right - this chair was shipped directly to him, and we were concerned that there was going to be a freight aircraft without a pressurized cabin, so we took the air out of the shock as a precaution.

Delivered from dealers, they'll be filled to the spec.

@stephen - tires/tubes are a lot more forgiving - they're made of rubber, and are a way bigger volume than the cylinder of the shock - might have been an overabundance of caution on my part.

@my395 - We will be at the Abilities show in LA.

Comment

After working with Icons' western sales rep, Mark Marrott, I have put together a shim package that is neccessary to fit your FreeWheel to an Icon. The footrest is different enough that the stock shim set that comes with every FreeWheel doesn't accomodate the Icon. So, I will send out the shim package to all that need it, just let me know.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by JeffAdams View Post
                                That's the correct way for those "extras" to be included, and this is one way that we're trying to push this industry to have a more consumer-service focused dealer network like it is in the bike/car/electronics/everyother industry.
                                Well that's a great idea and while I hope it works out, I have a fear that it's just wishful thinking. If I choose to buy a bike/car/electronic I have multiple sources to choose from and if I don't like one then I can drive around the corner and go to another. I know of 4 bike shops within 5 miles of me and that isn't including the places like Wal-Mart where I could also purchase one.

With medical equipment and specifically certain equipment we don't have that option. Goes back to the issue I had when I wanted to see the Marvel and there was only 1 place in all of the Dallas-FT. Worth area that had a demo and that I could have ordered it from. So at that point if they would have actually had the chair sitting on tires with air in them and had not lost some of the parts to the chair and I would have absolutely loved it and wanted to purchase it, I would have been rewarding their lack of service because it was the only place around to make that purchase. If that is the dealer network you/we are to rely on then we are in trouble.

The only way your idea will work is if I have several choices to make my purchase from, so unless you are going to have multiple dealers in every location it isn't going to work like the bike/car/electronics industry does.
                                Most everything I say is

Comment

Working...
                                X