Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics/remarks of Icon?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by taziar View Post
    Well you're in the right place, then. Regarding the need for a pump - it's a very minor thing, and when you're talking knowledge and learning curves for wheelchairs, it wouldn't even make a blip on the radar. Understanding wheelchair measurements - now there's a subject that can cause some confusion.
    The Icon needs a pump, but at least it doesn't need two months of study before ordering to make sure it fits correctly.
    I have definitely learned a lot about wheelchair from these forums

    Comment


      Someone should make some YT videos.

      Comment


        Originally posted by SequinScandal View Post
        Someone should make some YT videos.
        I don't have a car right now but I do plan to make Youtube videos of my Icon in use when it arrives. I'll let people know.

        Comment


          Originally posted by StarLord View Post
          This may seem like a dumb question but does anyone have any experience in breaking down an Icon to get it in a auto? I do a fair number of transfers into and out of my car. I was just wondering how easy it is to do it with an Icon.

          Thanks.
          I do it a minimum 4 times a day. Same as any other chair out there. Take off the wheels throw them in, grab the frame lift it across your body. Done deal.

          Comment


            Hey juggular:

            Thanks for the update. I thought so but wasn't sure if there was anything weird or unusual about it.

            Comment


              Cool! Thanks for the info

              Comment


                Despite my trepidations regarding transfers due to my shaky torso I've ordered an Icon with the hope that I will figure out a way to transfer while retaining what little dignity I have remaining.

                Since I have very little trunk strength below my chest (and my posture proves it) this should be a good test. Wish me luck.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by StarLord View Post
                  Despite my trepidations regarding transfers due to my shaky torso I've ordered an Icon with the hope that I will figure out a way to transfer while retaining what little dignity I have remaining.

                  Since I have very little trunk strength below my chest (and my posture proves it) this should be a good test. Wish me luck.
                  Were you able to demo the chair before you bought? I know that my first time transferring (no SCI) was very awkward. I couldn't make sense of it. Used to my Tilite TR and by muscle memory I knew every place I could grab and what would happen. I will have a learning curve on transferring with the Icon too but I only have pain and not weakness or control as a concern. I am hoping and expecting to figure it out pretty well.

                  Did you order any accessories to help with transfers, armrests etc?

                  Comment


                    I've never saw an armrest that I would trust for using as a transfer hold. I use the fender/tire on my Icon. I used this on my TiLite when I needed a big boost upwards as I have a low seat height(I have my chair at the lowest settin on my Icon). So, now I use that all the time.
                    I never learned/practice floor to chair tansfers, but I found on my Icon I can rest my butt on the front bend and change my grip to boost my butt the rest of the way up into the seat. This also works great with my handcycle transfer since I have to come back and out from under the crankset of the handcycle at the same time.

                    Comment


                      I must confess that I did not demo the chair first so I'm probably taking something of a chance here (I may have an Icon for sale later if any one is interested). I currently have a ZRa and I have tried transfers without relying on the frame like I usually do to see if it can be done. I'm hoping that the solid seat pan will support me in the transfer process. I'm 6'1" tall but I only weigh 135 lbs so I'm not heavy, just awkward.

                      I ordered the transfer handles but no arm rests just the side guards. I was told by Jimbo (I obviously ordered the chair through Sportaid) that the transfer handles stuck out somewhat. I will have to wait and see what the implications are, but I'm optimistic.

                      jschism: Curiously, I use the tire/fender for support as well. My floor to chair transfers were always problematic for me because I don't have very good trunk muscles to help. It's pretty much all arms, all the time.

                      I just got a fairly high back with lateral supports that I'm going to try and use. I use it now on my ZRa and is seems to work. When I look at most chairs and their low backs I'm amazed they they do any good. I don't think my back will provide any useful points for lifting support.

                      Probably my ony remaining concern is that I often use the "towel" bar in back and the front frame when I try and take pressure off of my butt and to reposition myself in the ZRa right now. I'm not sure how I'll do this with the Icon. I guess I'm in for something of a learning curve here.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by StarLord View Post
                        I must confess that I did not demo the chair first so I'm probably taking something of a chance here (I may have an Icon for sale later if any one is interested). I currently have a ZRa and I have tried transfers without relying on the frame like I usually do to see if it can be done. I'm hoping that the solid seat pan will support me in the transfer process. I'm 6'1" tall but I only weigh 135 lbs so I'm not heavy, just awkward.

                        I ordered the transfer handles but no arm rests just the side guards. I was told by Jimbo (I obviously ordered the chair through Sportaid) that the transfer handles stuck out somewhat. I will have to wait and see what the implications are, but I'm optimistic.

                        jschism: Curiously, I use the tire/fender for support as well. My floor to chair transfers were always problematic for me because I don't have very good trunk muscles to help. It's pretty much all arms, all the time.

                        I just got a fairly high back with lateral supports that I'm going to try and use. I use it now on my ZRa and is seems to work. When I look at most chairs and their low backs I'm amazed they they do any good. I don't think my back will provide any useful points for lifting support.

                        Probably my ony remaining concern is that I often use the "towel" bar in back and the front frame when I try and take pressure off of my butt and to reposition myself in the ZRa right now. I'm not sure how I'll do this with the Icon. I guess I'm in for something of a learning curve here.
                        I just had a demo of the chair yesterday. Definitely fumbled once or twice due to lack of the frame tubing, but I adapted quickly. You just need to work off the seat pan, which is plenty strong on the corners to hold you.
                        As to getting it in the car - I tried that as well. The depth of the chair due to the 'shock housing' is obviously more than I am used to coming from a titanium L-frame, but it wasn't much different than a classic box like the tr. Again, with a bit of practice I'm sure I could have mastered it.

                        Overall impressions: Grommet is spot on. Running it over the cracks in a sidewalk, or cobblestones, for example - you barely notice except a bit from the front wheels. You feel nothing at all from the seat. A lot like going over tight carpet. The shock makes a dramatic difference. Mark dialed it in quickly for me and I immediately felt the responsiveness, and the solid seat pan felt fantastic.
                        I wish I could have tested it with my natural fits, as the skinny rims were hard on the carpul tunnel, but that's no fault of the Icon itself.
                        Gonna buy one, just need to talk to the dreaded insurance company to see how much they're willing to pay.

                        Comment


                          My primary motivation for getting an Icon is in its adjustability. I'm also hoping that the smoother ride will help control the spasms and clonus. My feet have a tendency to fly off of the footplate on rough surfaces. I am willing to adjust my transfer routine for the other benefits.

                          I do think it's a cool ride. Altough I'm sure I ruined it with my projection rims.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by StarLord View Post
                            This may seem like a dumb question but does anyone have any experience in breaking down an Icon to get it in a auto? I do a fair number of transfers into and out of my car. I was just wondering how easy it is to do it with an Icon.

                            Thanks.
                            I just made this, not high quality. I put my wheels behind the passenger seat and the chair upside down in the rear passenger side. It sits there most of the time without it moving around.
                            This is loading/unloading in my VW Touareg TDI.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8fyyd8sfQQ

                            Comment


                              I love it. That is exactly what chairs have to endure.

                              Originally posted by jschism View Post
                              I just made this, not high quality. I put my wheels behind the passenger seat and the chair upside down in the rear passenger side. It sits there most of the time without it moving around.
                              This is loading/unloading in my VW Touareg TDI.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8fyyd8sfQQ
                              Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

                              Comment


                                Thanks for the video. That looks awefully familiar! it does look straight forward.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X