pics of my solid seat pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stephen,

I am interested in getting a Dragon plate. I looked at their website but cannot figure out what to order. Here is something I found. https://dragonplate.com/ecart/produc...D=5749&cID=201
    Can you tell me what you ordered. My chair is 15w x 15d. Then, what size plate should I order? I am not sure if they do custom cut.

By the way, I weight only 113 pounds and want to have the solid pan as thin as I can. I plan to cover it with lubber or leather sheet so that it does not move around under the cushion.

Your recommendation is appreciated.

Jon
    Last edited by jungsik; 7 Mar 2016, 3:36 AM.

Comment

go for 1/8" thick

Comment

An eighth of an inch of carbon fiber for 113 pounds is overkill.

Get aluminum at 1/8 of an inch from onlinemetals.com in the dimensions you need and save yourself a lot of hassle and money.

Comment

Originally posted by jungsik View Post
          Stephen,

I am interested in getting a Dragon plate. I looked at their website but cannot figure out what to order. Here is something I found. https://dragonplate.com/ecart/produc...D=5749&cID=201
          Can you tell me what you ordered. My chair is 15w x 15d. Then, what size plate should I order? I am not sure if they do custom cut.

By the way, I weight only 113 pounds and want to have the solid pan as thin as I can. I plan to cover it with lubber or leather sheet so that it does not move around under the cushion.

Your recommendation is appreciated.

Jon
          Hi Jon, the carbon fiber seat pans we offer through Bike-On do not come from Dragon Plate. We use an independent carbon fiber fabricator who makes these for us as one-offs. The plate thickness is 5/32" and the width and depth dimensions are custom to the user. We can also have a series of "vents" (width-wise routs) cut into the pan to remove additional weight. I use Velcro to attach my CF pans to the frame. You can apply small Velcro strips to the top of the pan to match up with the Velcro attachments that typically are on the underside of the cushion cover to keep the cushion from shifting.

If you have more questions, please email me at stephen@bike-on.com
          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
            . . . We use an independent carbon fiber fabricator who makes these for us as one-offs. . .
            Will your CF fabricator make an ergo pan? Seat =17"w x 16"d with 22.5 degree bend for ergo at 6" from back edge of seat.
            Chas
            TiLite TR3
            Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
            I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
            <
            UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by chasmengr View Post
              Will your CF fabricator make an ergo pan? Seat =17"w x 16"d with 22.5 degree bend for ergo at 6" from back edge of seat.
              Maybe, but I think it's easier to use separate pieces of carbon. If you can work up a CAD I will forward it to him and get his opinion. Our price for the pans is $250 + shipping. What you're proposing could run considerably higher. Email me if you want to explore this further.
              stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

No, but thank you. Right now I'm using a solid ergo pan I made from scrap plywood; it's virtually free. It doesn't look real good, but it works.

When I ordered my ergo seat TR, I failed to consciously acknowledge how limited the options would be for solid pans. My TR came with a factory sling (adjustable by straps), which I tried, and could not stand (all my chair measurements depend on having a solid pan; the inherent sling sag threw off my entire chair.) An old friend made me an aluminum solid ergo pan for free, but sadly I specified it too thick (weighed 5#). I tried to lighten it up some, but destroyed it in the process I don't want to ask him for another, so I'm now using 3/8" plywood.
                Chas
                TiLite TR3
                I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
                <
                UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

You loose structural integrity.

Originally posted by SCI_OTR View Post
                  The structural integrity could be lost fairly easily. Aluminum would behave differently than cf.
                  After everything has been said and done I agree 100% with SCI_OTR. Putting holes in the seat pan looses the structural integrity of the pan. Each hole weakens the structural integrity. No matter what material you use putting a hole or slot looses it's structural integrity. That is like vans where they lower the floor or cut off the roof and raise it. That vehicle has lost structural integrity. Something sales people don't tell you that. You might have to be careful now so you don't get cowl shake!

Ti
                  Last edited by titanium4motion; 7 Mar 2016, 8:20 PM. Reason: edit
                  "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

I haven't posted in a while but I can contribute to this thread. A solid seatpan is the only way to go. My problem is keeping the cushion in place. Velcro's hold makes it hard to remove. I decided to try making my own seatpan out of aluminum with sides to keep the cushion centered and a front lip to keep it from sliding out. I ordered my Crossfire with screw-on upholstery and screwed it on. It's not perfect but you don't see it and I enjoyed making it. I was going to post pics when the footrest was done and everything was powdercoated but I keep changing the footrest up and I figure I should post here while this thread is still going.

Metal becomes much more rigid with a bend or a dimple in it. This pan is 2 pieces made from .05" 6061 Al. It feels just as solid as the 1/2" plywood I was rockin on my older chair.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	sp1 (640x610).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	2659252Click image for larger version

Name:	sp2 (640x288).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	2659253

Comment

Sweet!!
                      Chas
                      TiLite TR3

<
                      UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

good idea
                        Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X