Tire Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
    Why does full inflation help prevent sidewall cracks? It sounds counter-intuitive. Wouldn't increased pressure cause greater stress to and breaking down of the rubber? Learn me, Dale.

Also, I use an Campbell-Hausfeld electric compression pump. Is there any reason to question the accuracy of the pressure gauge reading?

It's a convergence of the old tire dryness, tire height and the thick puncture resistant top. The side walls are much thinner and when not fully inflated the thick top compresses 'into' the tire a bit, causing a funky ripple right along the sidewall that cracks over time. Probably a function of rider weight, too.

It may well be inevitable. I'm just repeating info I got from the in-bound call takers at Schwalbe, may be complete BS, really.

I don't have a set without at least some cracks, frankly, but all mine are 2+ years old and in service every day.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Katja View Post
      Ha! The exact same thing happened to me - I ordered ONE tire (not a pair) from Schwalbe directly for more than a pair cost from Sportaid. It was very irritating. In my defense, this was about 5 minutes before Sportaid started carrying Marathon Plus tires.
      Yeah and the guy at Schwalbe - have his name somewhere, was a DICK about it. A total DICK. His supervisor was much nicer. I hope I never talk to that guy again. GOd I hope he uses a chair and I see him some day with a flat tire, but life don't usually work that way ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
        The pedicab depot in Key West let me top up using the one they used. It was a multiple stage floor model with a big gauge. Few easy pumps got me to 55lbs. Wish I had looked to see the brand and model.

I have a 4 h.p. compressor. It's kind of overkill for WC tires. Most of the time I notice I need air is when I'm sitting on the couch. Always forget when I'm in the shop.
        I've used several different hand pumps, they all work easy until about 90psi, then you flip lever for high pressure when it get to hard to pump. Then you pump forever and finally give up for fear of having a heart attack. You can buy a small electric compressor that goes to 175psi cheaper than a good manual hand pump.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
          . . . I use an Campbell-Hausfeld electric compression pump. Is there any reason to question the accuracy of the pressure gauge reading?
          In a word, yes. Any gauge can be inaccurate. Also, the tank or outlet pressure is only that, a measure of the pressure in the tank or the pressure at the outlet. That doesn't mean that pressure gets inside your tire. You must measure the TIRE pressure with a known accurate tire gauge to know the tire pressure. Or just pump em up until they both look right.
          Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Ok, let me make sure I understood this right... Its fine to use 25-540 tires on a wheel/rim that had 37-540? I have 1 3/8 basic greys right now. If I wanted to upgrade to Right Runs in the future I could use them on the same wheel/rim?

Also, is it ok to use bike tires? Or is there some difference that makes it better to use wheelchair specific tires? For example at walmart I was looking at bike tires and saw some with kevlar lining already in the tire. I wanted to get some kevlar tire liners at some point.
            Last edited by ~Lin; 18 Jan 2012, 8:03 PM.
            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Bike tires of the correct size will fit just fine, but they will leave marks on floors.
              Chas
              TiLite TR3
              Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
              I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
              <
              UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
                Ok, let me make sure I understood this right... Its fine to use 25-540 tires on a wheel/rim that had 37-540? I have 1 3/8 basic greys right now. If I wanted to upgrade to Right Runs in the future I could use them on the same wheel/rim?

Also, is it ok to use bike tires? Or is there some difference that makes it better to use wheelchair specific tires? For example at walmart I was looking at bike tires and saw some with kevlar lining already in the tire. I wanted to get some kevlar tire liners at some point.
                are you using an "everyday" tire now? What rim are you putting the tires on? people get all involved with the numbers, not really neccessary. You have a 24" rim, buy a Right Run for 24" wheel and it will fit just fine. Sportaid or another online place and order tire and tubes, wouldn't worry about thorn resistant or anything, never had any problems with the basic ones.
                The 25-540 fits fine on the same rim.
                The second ISO number is the critical one, it is the diameter of the bead seat of the rim, in mm ("B.S.D."). Generally, if this number matches, the tire involved will fit onto the rim; if it doesn't match, the tire won't fit.
                JFYI, the first numbers in the tire size are width of tire, that's while you need a new tube, you're going from a 37mm wide to a 25mm wide tire. If your just using the wire wheel, the RR's are a piece of cake to change. make sure you put some "good" rim tape on the rim before installing new tube/tire, that is a big key to no flats.
                looking at the tilite order form, the tilite wire wheels come NCO with Primo vtrack 25-540, so fit should be fine with RR.

Comment

I just got my Quickie Q7, it has 24" grey everydays right now. I'd like to upgrade at some point. I know this is silly but I really like the RRs because of the color haha. I saw the Shox on sportaid too but those were more expensive. I've read a lot of praise for the RR's here so I don't think it would be too bad to be swayed by the color. I just wish they had purple! My chair is blue, and since I can't match the shade of blue perfect I was thinking purple would make for a nice accent color. Spokes, tires, maybe some frog legs and FLSR anodized casters... I need to win the lottery or something for all the stuff I want to get haha.

Thanks Chas! I think I'll stay away from the bike tires then, I didn't think about that. I was just thinking thats a really good price for the tire plus kevlar liner.
                  Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Lin View Post

Lin,

Schwalbe Marathons are puncture resistant - I've never gotten a flat but there's another way to go - Tuffy tire liners. I had those in my tires for years and even pulled glass out of my tires with pliers and still didn't have a flat. They hardly weigh anything and you can fit them to any tire, great stuff. I actually go with the Schwalbe Marathon tires because they are all black. They're very heavy. I make the sacrifice for the black.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                      Lin,

Schwalbe Marathons are puncture resistant - I've never gotten a flat but there's another way to go - Tuffy tire liners. I had those in my tires for years and even pulled glass out of my tires with pliers and still didn't have a flat. They hardly weigh anything and you can fit them to any tire, great stuff. I actually go with the Schwalbe Marathon tires because they are all black. They're very heavy. I make the sacrifice for the black.
                      The center tread of Schwalbe RightRuns is black as well.
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

~Lin- you'll never by everyday tires again after using the RR, the shox are solid tires and heavy.

Comment

I didn't realize the shox were solid, but I didn't really look closely since the price was so much more than RRs.

When looking up the tuffy tire liners I found a lot of negative reviews, along with some of the kevlar ones. Reviews saying the liner itself shredded the tire, because the edge was too sharp. What my original plan was, was to get a liner (maybe tuffy) to put inside the tires. Then if at some point I still got a flat, replace the tubes with the thorn proof tubes and have double the protection. Its just all so confusing though when I learn more and find out about more products to complicate things!

I think I'll go with some sort of liner still or the tire slime. And when I can I'd like to upgrade, like to RRs. I'd also like to upgrade to FLSRs I think. But I'm not exactly sure how much of a difference there is between them and my 5x1.5" casters now.

Comment

I have years of experience with Tuffy tire liners and never had a problem of any sort. Keep in mind that I'm using them for wheelchairs not for bicycle tires and the speeds they travel, if that makes a difference. Use Tuffys and I don't know how you will get a flat. Seriously I have had glass stuck in my tires and even ground level with the tread it was in so long and it still didn't make it to my innertube. They're very light and easy to install and cheap or, they used to be. They get my thumbs up.

Comment

Just checked my old calendar and if I make it to March, I'll have gotten two years out of my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. They're getting worn and maybe I won't have the tread to make it to March but hey, that's pretty good :-)

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                                Just checked my old calendar and if I make it to March, I'll have gotten two years out of my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. They're getting worn and maybe I won't have the tread to make it to March but hey, that's pretty good :-)
                                These are the tires that came on this chair in July 2008. In service nearly every day since then.

Of course, they don't look so good from the side. That cracking runs completely around both tires.

One day, they will fail, but I'm gonna ride them till they fall off. Literally.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Working...
                                X