No announcement yet.

Tire Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All my rims are shod with RR or Marathon Evo Plus tires. The Marathons are minimum 2 years old and 1 set is pushing 4. Still working fine. That, to me, is far and away worth a tad extra weight and expense. I've never noticed any discomfort using them, personally. The tread is fine to my touch, though rougher than RRs they aren't "rough", at all, IMO.

(They are directional and if you put them on backwards i guess they could feel rougher.)

The RRs last ~6mos, are thinner and shorter off the top of the rim. Either way you go, if you go with the high pressure Schwalbes, maintaining 145psi is important for the puncture resistance and rolling resistance. Marathons kept @ 145psi feel like MUCH lighter tires, IMO. I think going from 1 3/8" 'greys' to RRs would feel drastically different to the hand, and lower the rear by just a tad (since RRs are shorter than 1 3/8 greys...with your TR being fixed rear, you may notice a little 'caster bump' when the forks rotate due to this if you go with a shorter tire). The Marathons are more of a direct replacement for the bigger tires you're using now, IMO, while greatly enhancing performance.

If you don't mind the size and weight of what you're using now, the minor difference between RRs and Marathons isn't gonna matter. My money says Marathons for you, even though at the end of the day I think I prefer the RRs because they do have just a bit less resistance, especially when the psi drops close to 85-100ish. Knowing the kind of rolling resistance and feel your current tires are providing, however, the Marathons will seem like the future has arrived and you won't have to think about tires again for years.

YMMV.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
      IMO, if you are in sticker and burr places get the Marathons, if not too concerned about them get the RR's. For me, they last much, much linger than Primos.
      Thanks, Patrick. I do occasionally roll among some sharp objects.

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
      All my rims are shod with RR or Marathon Evo Plus tires. The Marathons are minimum 2 years old and 1 set is pushing 4. Still working fine. That, to me, is far and away worth a tad extra weight and expense. I've never noticed any discomfort using them, personally. The tread is fine to my touch, though rougher than RRs they aren't "rough", at all, IMO.

(They are directional and if you put them on backwards i guess they could feel rougher.)

The RRs last ~6mos, are thinner and shorter off the top of the rim. Either way you go, if you go with the high pressure Schwalbes, maintaining 145psi is important for the puncture resistance and rolling resistance. Marathons kept @ 145psi feel like MUCH lighter tires, IMO. I think going from 1 3/8" 'greys' to RRs would feel drastically different to the hand, and lower the rear by just a tad (since RRs are shorter than 1 3/8 greys...with your TR being fixed rear, you may notice a little 'caster bump' when the forks rotate due to this if you go with a shorter tire). The Marathons are more of a direct replacement for the bigger tires you're using now, IMO, while greatly enhancing performance.

If you don't mind the size and weight of what you're using now, the minor difference between RRs and Marathons isn't gonna matter. My money says Marathons for you, even though at the end of the day I think I prefer the RRs because they do have just a bit less resistance, especially when the psi drops close to 85-100ish. Knowing the kind of rolling resistance and feel your current tires are providing, however, the Marathons will seem like the future has arrived and you won't have to think about tires again for years.

YMMV.
      I inferred from BFD's post that I might not be able to use very high pressure running 25-540's with these rims. Is this something to consider when choosing?

I'm leaning to the Marathons, especially if I can get the Reflex Evo at a decent price. I'm an upper body bull, so I'm not too concerned with small increases in rolling resistance or weight if there are compensating advantages. Minor roughness wouldn't bother my hands, they are used to hard use. Still, I'm not wanting a tire so rough as to mandate wearing gloves.
      Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Any thoughts on Schrader v Presta valves?
        Foolish

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I have old rims: 30 years so they are wider than the new stuff. I think I caught you have newer rims. That is why I can't get the marathons over 90 psi. They are really loud when they explode. By the third explosion I figured out the pressure,"DUH". I have presta's only because its what I could find for 1" tubes. They work but you need to carry the adapter with you. Next set I'll go back to schraders.

Comment

Presta all the way. No moving parts to let the air out. Pressure stays put far longer. It's a superior valve.

As for the adapter, take two fuckitols and don't worry about it.

Compressors are very bad for pneumatic tubes. You're better off with a good installation and regular pressure maintenance.

@bfd: You have a different problem. It's not your valve. Presta is used in professional cycling. They use pressures up to 250 PSI. There's a reason they don't use Schrader. That's because Schrader sucks. Quite a few people here use 145 PSI on normal days. It's probably your installation. Maybe get new rims. PSI is really the force exerted against the side wall. If your rims can't handle it, you need new rims.
            Last edited by radio_buddha; 8 Dec 2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
              Any thoughts on Schrader v Presta valves?
              I don't think it really makes a difference, if anything the Presta on my handcycle and old race bike(pre-sci)always need air, i ride my handcylce almost everyday and have to fill the tires at least every other day. I can go for about a week with the schrader on my wheelchair and rr. I run them @130psi and they'll get down around 100-110 by the end of the week. My handcycle are darn near flat after a week.

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                I don't think it really makes a difference, if anything the Presta on my handcycle and old race bike(pre-sci)always need air, i ride my handcylce almost everyday and have to fill the tires at least every other day. I can go for about a week with the schrader on my wheelchair and rr. I run them @130psi and they'll get down around 100-110 by the end of the week. My handcycle are darn near flat after a week.
                Something is wrong with your presta valves, because i don`t have problems with my handcycle with presta, i inflate them every 7-10 days.

Comment

Update: Went with Marathon Evolution Reflex, mostly because the reflective strip was a strong selling point to this highway crossing night crawler. Love them! Don't know how they do in alerting drivers to my presence, but I know that as a driver I've come pretty close to invisible pedestrians before my headlights picked them up.

I also wanted max wear resistance and the anti-puncture was a plus.

I got new tubes for the 1" tires. Tubes and tires went on in a few minutes.

Looking at the tires, the tread appears directional. Schwalbe says no.

Only regret is that I didn't start running 1" high pressure tires sooner.

Thanks for all the great input!
                  Foolish

Comment

That's great to hear, Foolish! Keep them topped off @145psi every couple weeks to avoid sidewall cracks and maximize puncture resistance and they should last you a good long while. Congrats on the upgrade! If you gotta roll...might as well roll in style on fly rubber! Cheers!

(I always put mine on with the arrows pointing forward...never knew it didn't matter. I guess I'll start flipping them to even out what little wear occurs.)
                    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Best hand powered high pressure tire pump? Vendor?
                      Foolish

Comment

Best hand powered high pressure tire pump? Vendor?
                        is there even a good one?

Comment

Originally posted by DaleB View Post
                          That's great to hear, Foolish! Keep them topped off @145psi every couple weeks to avoid sidewall cracks and maximize puncture resistance and they should last you a good long while. Congrats on the upgrade! If you gotta roll...might as well roll in style on fly rubber! Cheers!

(I always put mine on with the arrows pointing forward...never knew it didn't matter. I guess I'll start flipping them to even out what little wear occurs.)
                          Why does full inflation help prevent sidewall cracks? It sounds counter-intuitive. Wouldn't increased pressure cause greater stress to and breaking down of the rubber? Learn me, Dale.

Also, I use an Campbell-Hausfeld electric compression pump. Is there any reason to question the accuracy of the pressure gauge reading?
                          stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                            is there even a good one?
                            The pedicab depot in Key West let me top up using the one they used. It was a multiple stage floor model with a big gauge. Few easy pumps got me to 55lbs. Wish I had looked to see the brand and model.

I have a 4 h.p. compressor. It's kind of overkill for WC tires. Most of the time I notice I need air is when I'm sitting on the couch. Always forget when I'm in the shop.
                            Foolish

Comment

Has anyone ordered from the Schwalbe.com website? I'm especially interested in hearing the experience of anyone who has ordered from and shipped to the U.S.A.
                              Oh please don't! I did order directly from them once and it was a miserable experience. Their ordering form (at the time) was confusing and I ended up with one very high priced tire. What the heck am I going to do with ONE tire?

Sportaid came to the rescue and sold me a single and I will always be grateful to them for that. I recommend buying from Sportaid. By the way, I have the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Never had a flat and it's freaky how long they last. When I change my current pair I will check the note I made on my calender when I put them on. I don't know if it will be a year or a year and half or heck, even longer. Hard as hell to mount though, keep that in mind. I've never struggled with another tire like that.

Comment

Originally posted by grommet View Post
                                Oh please don't! I did order directly from them once and it was a miserable experience. Their ordering form (at the time) was confusing and I ended up with one very high priced tire. What the heck am I going to do with ONE tire?

Sportaid came to the rescue and sold me a single and I will always be grateful to them for that. I recommend buying from Sportaid. By the way, I have the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Never had a flat and it's freaky how long they last. When I change my current pair I will check the note I made on my calender when I put them on. I don't know if it will be a year or a year and half or heck, even longer. Hard as hell to mount though, keep that in mind. I've never struggled with another tire like that.
                                Ha! The exact same thing happened to me - I ordered ONE tire (not a pair) from Schwalbe directly for more than a pair cost from Sportaid. It was very irritating. In my defense, this was about 5 minutes before Sportaid started carrying Marathon Plus tires.

Comment

Working...
                                X